Top Ten Movies about Death

roseded.jpg

I figured I'd play along with the dying mood around here.

Here's a collection of some of the saddest films of all time.

Some are all about dying. Some focus on the brutality of death. Some explore how we handle death in our culture. But they all make "death" a featured character.

Put on your pallbearers hat and read on.

I'm not movie expert, but these seem like worthy choices.

10. Flatliners
Hollywood brat pack kill themselves to see what life is like on the other side. Bad things happen when you repeatedly kill yourself.

9. Night of the Living Dead
A good movie about death features a plot where the dead come back to life.
Still one of the best Zombie films ever.

Here's the whole movie.

8. Away From Her
alllifeal.jpg
A movie about Alzheimer's. That explains how you die from it.
'nuff said.

7. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Gruesome tale loosely based on one of America's most prolific killers, Henry Lee Lucas. In this 1986 film, death is explored and shown in savage detail.

6. My Life

Michael Keaton is dying of cancer and he has a baby on the way. He sets out to record his life so his unborn child will know who he was. You know, cause he's going to die. Sappy, but it stinks of death.

5. Titanic
Massive boat hurtles towards a catastrophe at sea. The sinking resulted in the deaths of 1,517 of the 2,223 people on board . You may not love the movie, but the boat sinking scene is a horrific death spectacular.

4. Love Story
A young woman confronting her own mortality, as she and her lover come to terms with her death and their love.
Tears are shed in buckets.

3. Schindler's List
Their have been tons of movies about The Holocaust. You can't wipe off the stink of death from this film, even with somewhat "happy ending."

2. Philadelphia
An intimate portrait about one man's slow, painful death from HIV and A.I.D.S.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front
allquiet.jpg
World War I was fought with modern weapons and ancient strategies. Throw in rats, blood, explosions and mass suffering.
Soldiers are hurling themselves into death's path. Hey, let's make a movie out of it!

This is my list. Feel free to add your favorite death movies below.
Cheers!

You've seen "Faces of Death" right?

said Scaramouch on May 19, 2010 4:32 PM.

Old Yeller
Things to do in Denver When Your Dead.

said E on May 19, 2010 5:00 PM.

I used to worship "Faces of Death" when I was a teenager... My friends and I used to gather to watch it having some beer and snacks, with a side bucket for the always-weak-on-the-stomach girlfriends.
Still I'm not sure why did we take the girls to the sessions... always whining and complaining and asking to take that off and put some girlie romantic comedy instead.

said Leonardo Carvalho on May 19, 2010 5:03 PM.

Faces of Death was more like a collection of clips to me.
Not really a movie.

said Baierman on May 19, 2010 5:06 PM.

No Virgin Suicides? shocked and angered!

said Brian on May 19, 2010 5:07 PM.

Good point. Faces of death lacked continuity. Otherwise it was an exceptional aesthetic acheivement.

said E on May 19, 2010 5:17 PM.

Harold and Maude!!!!!

said binne on May 19, 2010 5:25 PM.

Confound it, I wanted to mention Harold and Maude...even though only two actual deaths occur.
other:
Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet
Camille with Garbo
Black Jack the Movie (animated)...touches on a serum created by unethical drug company which hops up the ordinary to peak human potential, only to kill them a short time later. Olympics, musicians, artists, and competitive types make world records then start dropping like flies. Excellent work with twist ending.
The Terminator
Rocky III, with Stallone making us cry when once-despised trainer Mickey dies. Since the series' fan-base was reaching the age where their parents were dying, it became a particularly hard watch.

said G on May 19, 2010 6:19 PM.

Here Comes Mr.Jordan, Heaven Can Wait, THE END FOR GAWD'S SAKES!....

said binne on May 19, 2010 6:33 PM.

forgot the greatest of them all, Kurosawa's Ikiru
second greatest: The Shootist

said G on May 19, 2010 6:36 PM.

More movies to add to my NetFlix list. Keep them coming.

I thought about Harold &Maude but decided against it.

said Baierman on May 19, 2010 8:13 PM.

My Girl
The Big Chill

said Excelsior on May 19, 2010 9:18 PM.

Excelsior beat me to it. The Big Chill would be on my list for sure.

said Evangeline on May 19, 2010 10:12 PM.

Jim Jarmusch's 1995 movie Dead Man.

said Miss Cellania on May 20, 2010 12:20 AM.

the must see award winning 2008 Japanese film "Departures".

also.. "Dying Young" w/julia roberts? (saw when i was like 12 or something..I think it was sad)

I haven't seen it, but "The Bucket List"

said Coty on May 24, 2010 12:32 PM.

the must see award winning 2008 Japanese film "Departures".

I haven't seen it, but "The Bucket List"

said Coty on May 24, 2010 12:33 PM.