The End of YesButNoButYes

Way back in 2005, a group of strangers found themselves stranded in unfamiliar waters, and banded together to fight boredom. Since then, castaways have departed, there have been numerous crashes and new arrivals, and it's all hurtling towards an inevitable finale in a couple of weeks' time.

No, unfortunately, I'm not talking about Lost. I'm talking about YesButNoButYes, which will be closing up shop and publishing it's final story in two weeks' time - quite fittingly - on Memorial Day, May 31st 2010.

I know, it's very sad (I'm trying not to think about it too hard), but I've always believed it's best to go out while on a high, and, while we still get hundreds of thousands of visits every month, it seems like a good time for us all to pursue new directions.

But to ease the blow to you all, our Loyal 77, we're going out with a bang rather than a whimper. So today we begin both the Death Clock countdown (I know, very Lost-like - hopefully someone will be here to enter the numbers), coupled with a two week wake/celebration of all things YBNBY.

We've invited some of the writers from years gone by to write their own final eulogies, and those will be appearing over the next two weeks. We'll also be publishing some final Top Ten Lists of our stories, one highlighting each year of our existence. So make sure you keep coming back to join in the fun. And I've started a thread over on our forum for longtime fans to contribute their farewells and memories of the community.

The Blog is dead. Long live The Blog.

saaaaaaaaaaadddd.

said brittneycramer on May 16, 2010 8:52 PM.

Wow... This is rather unexpected. I'm curious to see which direction everyone goes.

said bugman82773 on May 16, 2010 8:58 PM.

what a downer

said El Rey de los Monos on May 16, 2010 10:32 PM.

I haven't been this sad since HamNCheez.com went offline. Thank you YBNBY for the hours upon hours of entertainment you've provided. I'm glad you're all pursuing new opportunities. I will follow wherever you shall go.

said bsilver94 on May 16, 2010 11:55 PM.

Damn!

Pearls before swine, know what I'm saying? The internet didn't know how good they had it.

In a few years everyone will be saying they were here and now, back when blogs meant something. It'll be like Woodstock.

Let us know what ever else you guys are up to. Best blog ever.

said E on May 17, 2010 12:08 AM.

Sad news. I hope your next gig is as excellent as this one.

said gnatster on May 17, 2010 12:21 AM.

Yes, this is sad, but some of us are working on a new project. Details to come.

said Johnny Wright on May 17, 2010 12:45 AM.

fucking a man...fucking a!

said SalMoIlla on May 17, 2010 1:46 AM.

Y'all are gonna make me cry.

said Miss Cellania on May 17, 2010 8:31 AM.

I had a great but exhausting weekend, so I can't walk over to your desk, so I'll just say - Aw, geeze, sorry to see YBNBY go!

said Steve on May 17, 2010 10:36 AM.

This is indeed sad news.
There are tears dropping into my oversized quality imprinted YBNBY coffee mug which I earned while posting repeated smart-ass remarks related to articles contained within the blog.
I feel confident that good things will come for you all though.
Chins up, carry on ... there is too much talent in this group for it to just fade away. Thanks, and best of luck to all.

said Ben Lurkin on May 17, 2010 11:27 AM.

Wait, the site is ending? WHEN THE HELL WERE YOU GOING TO TELL ME? And why doesn't my key unlock my office? Also, what happened to my assistant and why is she crying?

Probably a bad time to bring this up, but all the booze in the kitchen... that's mine right? Like, I can take that home with me now? I'll put my name on it if you want.

said Echowood on May 17, 2010 11:53 AM.

When told of the death of YBNBY, our friends at Doubleviking.com replied:

"No way! Sorry to hear that. I feel like I'm losing my 3rd cousin that I
never got a chance to sleep with."

said Baierman on May 17, 2010 2:00 PM.

Why for goodness sake? Why are you quitting? This is one of the best blogs on the intar-toobs today. You tell us that you are going out, but don't give us a reason why. Please elucidate - and then change your mind and stay with us!

said daanethkivioq on May 17, 2010 3:38 PM.

Shit....now I don't have anything to do at work. Anyone got any projects they want someone named Bigus Dickus associated with? If not, guess it's back to being an observer. Thanks for the opportunity that you provided me Scara!

said Bigus Dickus on May 17, 2010 5:46 PM.

Sometimes only Michael Bolton can convey how I feel. This is one of those times:

said E on May 18, 2010 5:34 PM.

Jeez... my internet goes down for a few days and this happens? Sad, sad news. It's good to leave people wanting more, but I'm going to be a bit lost for a while.

Thanks for all the fun, clever writing. It's been a pleasure.

said Chris on May 19, 2010 11:08 AM.

Someone needs to start a web site called NoButYesButNo. I imagine it'd be like the evil twin brother of YBNBY.

said E on May 19, 2010 2:45 PM.

There are times when even Michael Bolton can't speak to my pain. On these occasions, one can only turn to Guns and Roses:

Used to love her, but I had to kill her.

said E on May 19, 2010 3:04 PM.