Most satisfying TV finale ever?

lost_header_01.jpg

As the world waits for the Lost final tonight (and I hear many countries are airing it live at the same time as the West Coast broadcast), I'm filled with a mixture of excitement and disappointment, because most TV finales always leave me wanting. Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends, Star Trek.TNG, Quantum Leap - none of them really captured "The End" as I wanted to see it.

In fact the only TV finale I think I ever watched that gave me a supreme sense of satisfaction was that of the BBC's version of The Office (and anyone who saw that will know what I mean).

So - what, in your opinion, are the better final episodes from TV history?

It's controversial, but I subscribe to the camp that thinks "The Sopranos" went out on the right note.

said Mr. Brightside on May 23, 2010 10:01 AM.

It is the finales of the BBC's "The Office" and "Extras." They were perfect.

said Johnny Wright on May 23, 2010 1:51 PM.

The Wire went out with a bang. The X Files went out with a whimper. A 2 year long whimper actually.

Never got into Lost. Saw some explanatory show last night. I watched a bit of it. The plane wreck gang is hanging out on a beach at night and a smoke monster is bustling about in the woods, making some disturbing noise. The text under the screen said something to the effect that the smoke monster was once a man who was put into smoke form by his brother Jacob.

That sounds pretty cool actually. Maybe I'll check out the DVD's sometime.

Enjoy the show Scara.

said E on May 23, 2010 1:58 PM.

M*A*S*H

They got it right.

said EffenIdontcare on May 23, 2010 3:10 PM.

6ft Under ended cool.
Still annoyed we never got a true Deadwood finale

said Baierman on May 23, 2010 4:11 PM.

For those who remember it -- the finale of St. Elsewhere was magical!

said Yellow Dog on May 23, 2010 9:27 PM.

The thing is that no matter how good the writing is the ending will taste bad for some fans while other love it. Then of course there are the series that are top notch all the way BUT the very last episode fucks it up like Battlestar Galactica (reimagined series) To me the best series in many years but ended with crap.

said Ernesto on May 23, 2010 11:19 PM.

M*A*S*H and St. Elsewhere have already been mentioned, so I will throw in Newhart.

said Miss Cellania on May 24, 2010 1:52 PM.

The Shield had a spectacular finale. Probably my favorite finale. I can't imagine it ending any other way.

Angel had a fitting finale as well, even if the narrative over the last couple episodes was rushed to provide a fitting finale. The last shot of that episode perfectly represented what Angel was all about.

said Action Abe on May 24, 2010 9:26 PM.