See Frank the Tank. See Frank Jump. See Frank Fall.

front-frank.jpg

Last week in our Forum, Loyal 77 member Frank the Tank told the world he was headed bungy jumping.

He asked for our prayers and put me in charge of his palatial New Zealand estate. (Just in case the cord snapped and he didn't make it back.)

Well, Frank survived the massive free fall.
And he sent along the following story, and pictures, to prove it.

dive1.jpg

NOTE: This wasn't Frank the Tanks stuntman tryouts for Old School 2. This was strictly a jump for fun and enjoyment.

It all starts in Queenstown jumping on a bus. During the 45 minute bus trip to the Nevis Highwire Platform, the driver play songs about death and how your going to die.

That's right, you're on a bus for 45 minutes, heading to jump off a platform and fall 134m (440 feet), and they are playing songs about death and falling the whole way.

Way to freak you out.

drive2.jpg

So I get there, they harness me up, and then get stuck in a tiny cage. I'm hoisted up to this gondola hanging in the middle of a giant gully.

I was the first to go in my group so there wasn't any time for me to think about it and freak out. They sit you in a chair, strap you up, and two minutes later your standing at the edge of the platform about to jump.

All the guy said to me was "show these foreigners how we doing it here in New Zealand." He gave me a 3,2,1 count down and I just jumped.

dive3.jpg

It's the strangest feeling. You're on a platform and everything in your mind is telling you that you shouldn't be there, but you just jump anyway.

First it's just rapid decent. You speed up to 125kmh (about 77mph) in less than a second, and the wind is just rushing at you, your breath forced in your chest.

Now like I said before, a couple of years ago I did the Taupo bungy, which is 47 meters (154 feet) and it was couple of seconds and that's it. At Nevis
, you free fall for about 8 seconds. And in the time your brain just goes crazy. I was comparing it to the last jump and thinking "I shouldn't still be falling. Why hasn't the cord kicked in. I'm going to die!" and then you slow down, and pop back up, and it's the greatest feeling in the world. Getting back to land I was loving life and on high for the rest of the day.

It's something I recommend everyone try. After doing it it's the most alive you will ever feel.

I've gone sky diving a few times, so I completely to agree with that.

Thanks for the write up Frank. Glad you're still with us.

dive4.jpg

Thanks for helping me share my adventure Bman.
The sky dive is the next thing on the agenda for me. Looking at doing that within the next couple of months. Ill be sure to keep you all in the loop for that one.

said Frank the Tank on January 6, 2010 7:08 PM.

Upon close examination of that quarry, I think I see Jimmy Hoffa's hand sticking out.

Damn, I was sure we were going to find him under Giants stadium later this year.

said Tim on January 6, 2010 10:14 PM.

Great going Frank!

For some reason i've always wanted to skydive yet the thought of bungy jumping is the one that intimidates me.

said Ernesto on January 6, 2010 10:47 PM.

Nicely done Frank! That's a considerable free fall. And bounce. Cool stuff.

said E on January 6, 2010 11:35 PM.

Whoa! Quite a high jump, Frank. Thankfully you haven't shat yourself all over.
I'm crazy about bungee jumps, though have never gone yet.

At the end of the month I'm going to feel the thrill too.
We're going to a park where they have an attraction called Hadikali--I guess it means radical in this park's own language--which consists of a pendulum-like structure that lifts you up 69 meters (about 226 feet) and when you fall it's like flying a deltaplane at 60km/h (37 mph).

I'll try to get photos and/or videos.

Other I wish I could have done is SCAD Dive. They've been here years ago but when I went there to buy my ticket, they said it was too late. They had sold the tickets for the 3 weekends in 2 days.

http://bit.ly/7YpiFZ <-- Like this, though the structure was held by a ginormous crane. 100 feet of FREE FALL. No ropes. No parachute. Only a net to catch you.

said Leonardo Carvalho on January 7, 2010 8:24 AM.

Leo, I did something like that a while back. It's a hell of a thrill. You'll love it!

said Baierman on January 7, 2010 10:54 AM.

It's like being Superman without chroma key and with ropes...
Did you move your arms like Christopher Reeve? Hahaha

said Leonardo Carvalho on January 7, 2010 11:08 AM.

I sharted myself just looking at the photos.

God speed man. Have at it.

said Ben Lurkin on January 7, 2010 1:54 PM.