Creator of PEZ Dispenser Sadly Passes Away
monkey_pez.jpgFrom The YBNBY Grim Death Desk...

This is a truly sad day. A titan of industry. A captain of candy. A Nikola Tesla-like inventor, has died. Yep, the guy that invented the miraculous PEZ dispenser is gone.

Candy genius Curtis Allina died at the age of 87.

It was in 1955 that Mr. Allina brought the Austrian candy to the US of A and started a pop culture phenomenon. What other candy is mentioned in Stand By Me and Seinfeld?

I've owned dozens of PEZ dispensers over the years. Purchasing one as recently as 2 or 3 months ago. (An R2-D2.) So this is personal. A bummer of a day indeed.

Thank God the candy coming out of Yosemite Sam's neck-hole will live on.

Rest easy Mr. Allina. And thank you.

Old PEZ inventors never die...they are simply dispensed with.

said Don't Swayze Bro on January 5, 2010 3:40 PM.

Testify, Swayze, testify...

said Johnny Wright on January 5, 2010 3:45 PM.

It is a sad day for us all without Fez. Rest in peace. That 70's show will never be the same.

said Taunee on January 5, 2010 3:47 PM.

My favorite PEZ dispenser of all time was a common Spider-Man head whose chassis I cracked when I used it to extract a key ring from an heating duct.

said Don't Swayze Bro on January 5, 2010 3:48 PM.

Think if his coffin could be a big fricking PEZ dispenser....

Awesome and creepy at the same time.

said JediJeff on January 5, 2010 4:05 PM.

Best coffin in the history of coffins, Jeff.

said Johnny Wright on January 5, 2010 4:13 PM.

And if you tip his body's head back delicious candy pops out

said Sheriff Pablo on January 5, 2010 5:03 PM.

I don't get what the big deal is with these things. Must be cause I was born on '82 or something.

said Ernesto on January 5, 2010 5:08 PM.

That makes a 21 gun salute look like a box of Pop-Its.

said Johnny Wright on January 5, 2010 5:08 PM.

Ernesto, I was born in 83 and i own more than a dozen pez dispensers, you dont get it because you're an idiot who apparently doesn't read any ...thing?.

I'm fairly sure this is where the, "where do you live? under a rock?" statement is meant to be used.

said champvinyl on January 6, 2010 8:36 AM.

Sad news indeed. Great ideas for paying due respect Sheriff and Jedi. That would be a service worthy of prime time TV.

I remember my favorite being the Popeye dispenser. I could do a full re-load without dropping one ... while riding my bike ... no hands ... downhill ...

said Ben Lurkin on January 6, 2010 10:19 AM.

Woah, I just found this WHILE I WAS EATING FROM A PEZ DISPENSER. The first one I've had since I was a kid. That's a bit scary. God speed Curtis.

said Tyson on January 6, 2010 11:06 PM.