10 Vintage Lunchboxes

viantagelunches.jpg

Pack your thermos.

Ask Mom to make a PB&J on Wonder.

And check out these lunchboxes from yesteryear.

(Okay, like the 70s & 80s.)

Dragon's Layer

dragons_layer.jpg

$6 for the 6 Million Dollar Man.

steve-austin.jpg

Lindsay Wagner is the Bonic Woman

bionic-woman.jpg

Mr. Kotter! Welcome back.

Kotter.jpg

Star Wars. Probably the most popular lunchbox ever sold!

starWars_lunch.jpg

Followed up by this one. I think it's Cheryl Ladd, not Farrah.

charlies.jpg

Master of the Universe

hemonlunch.jpg

Sunday. Monday...

FONZ.jpg

Martin Landau is Commander John Koenig in Space 1999.

space1999.jpg

Meep. Meep. Beep. Beep.

road_runner.jpg

I snapped these photos this weekend while at a downtown museum. This guy has a huge collection of vintage lunchboxes in his office too.

Nice. I remember having Hong Kong Fooey!

said limbodog on October 20, 2009 1:10 PM.

No kidding, I had that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom lunchbox. The one with Indy on the runaway mine car.

said Johnny Wright on October 20, 2009 2:37 PM.

When i was in Kindergarten, I had a Smurfs Lunchbox, which i quickly traded in for a G.I. Joe Lunchbox that served me through most of elementary school.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 20, 2009 4:58 PM.

I had Peter Pan and Tinker belle on my lunch box ... I kinda got beat up a lot in grade school. I just thought the other kids didn't like Disney.

said Ben Lurkin on October 20, 2009 5:55 PM.

I had a Charlies Angels one. Closest I got to Jacklyn Smith's box.

said E on October 20, 2009 6:42 PM.

I remember having one of the first plastic lunch boxes. GI Joe, I think.

The paint rubbed off and mom switched to brown bags from then on.

said Baierman on October 20, 2009 9:24 PM.

I had a Barbie lunchbox, and then when I saw one with Wonder Woman on it, there was no turning back

said Vicky on October 20, 2009 9:50 PM.

B-Man, your Mom called my Mom....'cause I had a brown paper bag with my name on it!
Gee, thanks!

said EffenIdontcare on October 20, 2009 9:55 PM.

I use to have a fucken sweet Ninja Turtles lunch box.

said Frank the Tank on October 20, 2009 10:04 PM.

Lunchboxes were for pussies. All of us manly grade school lads brown-bagged it. The bags came in handy for covering the faces full of female adolescent ugly so that we could stomach our meal in a civilized manner.

Fifth grade was particularly brutal. There was a lot of ugly that year.
(Although I do recall that to be the year that the brastrap made its first appearance ... I miss Janie.)

said Tim on October 20, 2009 10:07 PM.

Way before my time. By the time i was in school the crappy plastic ones were the ones available. If i remember correctly i had a GI Joe one.

That one from Star Wars sure kicks ass.

said Ernesto on October 21, 2009 9:39 AM.

The average lifespan of a lunchbox was about a month. Unless you kept in the most pristine cleanliness, it would produce a smell that would make one compare it to a mini-dumpster. And the thermos. It's insides would shatter if you dropped it from a height of no more than 3 inches...put THAT in the hand of a 4th grader and see what happens.

said G on October 21, 2009 11:38 AM.

I have the Masters of the Universe lunch box that my Mom got me for Christmas a few years back, that was followed by a Transformers lunch box. I still my E.T. lunch box that I left on the back bumper of my mom's car, which was thrown off after going over train tracks and ran over by a semi... Oh memories...

said medic21fire22 on November 20, 2009 2:56 PM.