8 places every American should see

Laura MacNeil, from Budget Travel on CNN, posted this story yesterday regarding on 8 places every American should visit.

Now the 8 places on the list are debatable, for sure. There are some glaring omissions which the author readily admits. (No Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Golden Gate Bridge, or Naigra Falls.)

But I thought it might make an interesting survey to see how many of these 8 places our readers have visited. So here are the 8:

1. Sears Tower (Willis Tower)

2. Graceland

3. Yellowstone National Park

4. Gettysburg

5. NY Harbor

6. Ebenezer Baptist Church

7. Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson)

8. Pearl Harbor

One Loyal 77 member told me he's 0 - 8. I'm 3 - 8 (Gettysburg, Pearl Harbor and NY Harbor.) How about you?

I've been to one of them ... so apparently I don't get to vote.

said Tim on October 14, 2009 12:08 PM.

1. Sears Tower (Willis Tower) - Yes
2. Graceland - No
3. Yellowstone National Park - No
4. Gettysburg - Yes
5. NY Harbor - Yes
6. Ebenezer Baptist Church - No, and had to look it up. :(
7. Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson) - Yes
8. Pearl Harbor - No

.500 - not horrible.

said Ack on October 14, 2009 1:03 PM.

"Ebenezer Baptist Church"?? wtf?

said Scaramouch on October 14, 2009 1:31 PM.

From this list, I've only been to NY Harbor and Pearl Harbor. Although I do have some official pencils and a magnet from Graceland.

said Jeem on October 14, 2009 2:08 PM.

But what's the point of the list? I've been to Gettysburg, there's nothing there, I don't know what qualifies as being there, nor why some American "should" see it.

said strathmeyer on October 14, 2009 2:49 PM.

1. Sears Tower (Willis Tower) - Yes
2. Graceland - No
3. Yellowstone National Park - Yes
4. Gettysburg - Yes
5. NY Harbor - No
6. Ebenezer Baptist Church - Where?
7. Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson) - No
8. Pearl Harbor - I wish...

Personally, I think everyone should see Detroit just before they die, Just so you can see how far America can fall.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 14, 2009 2:59 PM.

NY Harbor, Pearl Harbor, Willis Tower harbor. Yes.

What church where? Huh?

And Graceland? Really?

Where's teh largest ball of twine?

said limbodog on October 14, 2009 5:04 PM.

I've been to Carhenge and Casa Bonita. What else is there?

said E on October 14, 2009 8:34 PM.

Tim, that's puts you in the "At least 2 of them" list.

said Baierman on October 14, 2009 8:48 PM.

Bairman, I'm starting to have my doubts about your education.

I've been to three of these, but I could make my own much longer list because I've been to so many OTHER cool places. I'm sure everyone else can, too!

said Miss Cellania on October 15, 2009 8:28 AM.

I'm not sure if new math you're using or what, but "At least 2 of them" can include 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. But never 1.

said Melissa on October 15, 2009 11:44 AM.

Thank you Melissa. I was afraid that I was going to have to return to school for a refresher course 'cause I have nowhere to put my '1'. Nice to know that I am not alone.

Sorry Baier, but you've screwed me out of having any fun once again. I'll be taking this to the streets baby.

Revolution!

said Tim on October 15, 2009 11:54 AM.

1. Sears Tower (Willis Tower) - No.

2. Graceland - On my honeymoon

3. Yellowstone National Park - Want to go

4. Gettysburg - Been, it's a damn field. Whoop-dee-do.

5. NY Harbor - Umm, yeah. But "NY Harbor" is a huge area. Are we talking Statue of Liberty?

6. Ebenezer Baptist Church - Wha?

7. Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson) - Yep. Again, whoop-de-doo.

8. Pearl Harbor - I'd like to go to Hawaii, but I wouldn't waste time on Pearl Harbor when I could be drinking Mai-Tai's and hitting on girls in grass skirts.

said Jason on October 15, 2009 1:50 PM.