Verdict! Runner Is a She. And a He
caster-semenya.jpgFrom The Sports/Sexual Ambiguity Desk...

A few weeks back The Sports Desk brought you the tale of South African sprint champ Caster Semenya. It was a story of competition, jealousy and sexual intrigue. Caster won the 800 meters at the World Championships. Soon after, there were rumblings that she was actually a he.

The verdict is apparently in. So, is the runner a girl or a boy? Well, yes.

Procedures that involved "blood and chromosome tests as well as a gynecological examination" were done. Ladies and gents, we have a true hermaphrodite. Caster is swinging double junk. Both female and male sex organs. Victor and Victoria. Chastity Bono and, uh ... Chastity Bono. Never mind that last one. I'm confused by it too.

Now the real question: Does this DQ the runner from competing in the women's division? We had a discussion about this a couple hours ago. While I sympathize with Caster, it's awful that the whole world knows what's weird downstairs, I think she/he has to be disqualified.

Am I wrong? What say you?

It's so dubious I can't even think of a reasonable way to decide it. Is there a way to determine which gender has more influence in her body?
If so, (s)he should be directed to compete with athletes of that gender, other than that, I wouldn't know how to proceed.

said Leonardo Carvalho on September 10, 2009 10:58 PM.

Wow. I don't know what's fair here, but she is obviously aware of her own ambiguity, and should have run this by someone before getting involved in world class competitive sports.

said Miss Cellania on September 10, 2009 11:18 PM.

The thing is, can you go with "I'm mostly female?" I don't think that works.

said Johnny Wright on September 10, 2009 11:21 PM.

So, (s)he has both fully formed ovaries AND fully formed testes? Are the chromosomes XX or XY or...XXY or XYY?
I say, if the person is both then that person should be allowed to compete in either.
But that's in Vickyville, where everything is fair and peaceful.

said Vicky on September 10, 2009 11:51 PM.

When she was born, doctor's took one look and said "she's a girl". Only later exams revealed that she lacked a womb and ovaries, and has testes. So she must have grown up believing she is a girl, and wasn't necessarily trying to deceive anyone (she's still just a teenager).

As for whether she can compete... I believe the tests also showed she had levels of testosterone within what is allowable for a woman. (How they determine "allowable" is beyond me.) So she should be good.

said gnatster on September 11, 2009 2:27 AM.

I tend to agree with Vicky. What does it's birth certificate say?

Easy fix though: Add a hermaphrodites only race. TA-dah!

said phatlard on September 11, 2009 2:30 AM.

The Hermaphrodite Games! It's man versus woman versus both! Next summer on FOX!

said Johnny Wright on September 11, 2009 3:03 AM.

hmm.. This would lead to some interesting decathalon events wouldn't it?

1st event would surely be the run and go fuck yerself. Thats where the hermathletes do a steeple chase then out to the middle of the field for a self Rogering.

said phatlard on September 11, 2009 7:52 AM.

Wouldn't "swinging junk" make you less aerodynamic, and therefore actually be more of a liability in a womens' race? I say let shim run.

Although I would definitely watch a "run & go fuck yourself" event. I bet Nike is designing special shoes as we speak.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go trademark the word "Hermaphrolympics."

said Jeem on September 11, 2009 10:54 AM.

And by the way, I think I ate lunch off the Sexual Ambiguity Desk last week, and have been peeing sitting down ever since. We really need to have Raoul the Intern start labeling these things more clearly.

said Jeem on September 11, 2009 10:59 AM.

I haven't heard what her chromosomes are.
If she's got XX chromosomes then she's a girl. XY she's a dude. Does she have both? XXY? Does she listen to Melissa Etheridge or Jewel?

said E on September 11, 2009 11:18 AM.

Uhmmm...not sure which gender Caster should be racing with, but I know if he/she's a winner the celebratory drink should be Bailey's...from a shoe.

BTW Johnny, the 800 is a middle distance race, not a sprint. But I still love you. What do you think of me...? Make an assessment.

said mattybats on September 11, 2009 1:08 PM.

I think Matty has me on a technicality. That's why I love him.

said Johnny Wright on September 11, 2009 2:04 PM.

What's the Baileys from a shoe reference?

said E on September 11, 2009 2:20 PM.

Old Gregg - the Mighty Boosh

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Boosh

said mattybats on September 11, 2009 3:50 PM.

Ah. I recall. Gracias.

said E on September 11, 2009 4:40 PM.

I am sorry ya'll, anyone with x/y chromosomes....not allowed to compete.
Ever.
The only fair answer.

said EffenIdontcare on September 11, 2009 10:33 PM.

You think it's shoes Nike would be after Jeem?

Nice Boosh reference Mattybats.

said phatlard on September 13, 2009 1:04 AM.