Fast food that can run as fast as you do

If you're like me, then you're constantly frustrated with the slowness of fast food.
(Damn, I still have to wait in line for a McDLT and a Fresca!)

One alternative is to frequent the local hot dog vendor. It's more convenient, but the antibiotics required to survive eating those dirty water dogs every day is expensive.

If only there was a mobile, one-man, sausage grilling machine that could feed impatient, hungry folks like me.

Something that could feed the masses, yet still out run the health inspector.

Holy crap, my prayers have been answered.

grillwalker.jpg

This ultimate food-on-the-go solution is called GrillWalker. The craziest idea to come out of Germany since the dog toilet.

There are a bunch of these roving bratwurst sellers cooking up fresh brats around Berlin right now. At just $1.75 for a brat, roll and condiment, they're selling quite well. The inventor, Bertram Rohloff, is expanding GrillWalker to other cities around Germany. And he sold his equipment to likeminded brat folks in Bulgaria, Colombia, South Korea and Nebraska.

New York, Chicago and Boston can't be far behind. Neither could my next coronary!

At least we all know how they go to the bathroom.

via NY Times

I'd like to buy me one, so I'd never have to wait in line again. I'd be cooking and eating as I'm walking. And there goes my heart... gaaahhhhhh

said Leonardo Carvalho on September 30, 2009 6:14 PM.

i wonder if you could cook T-bones on those things?

I love the irony though. These guys are running around, getting a good workout, and clogging the arteries of passers-by. Awesome.

said Sheriff Pablo on September 30, 2009 6:41 PM.

I hope these vendors all have children already because having that kind of a heat source that close to one's genitalia cannot be healthy for the old sperm count..

said Cindy on September 30, 2009 8:32 PM.

True Cindy. Although I'm guess 12 hours standing with 40-50 pounds on your back leaves one in no mood for the sexy talk.

said Baierman on September 30, 2009 8:59 PM.

They will show up in New York, because the vendors will claim that, since they're moving and carrying their gear around, they don't need a permit. It probably won't hold up in court, but...

They'll also show up because of the "wheel of retailing" effect. NY Times reported this week that the cart business is getting "gentrified", upscaling menus and prices.

Shortly after they show up, it will get ugly. There are already a lot of cases of turf wars among the street vendors now, and the city is cracking down on vendors in some areas. (Saw a police truck hauling away 3 carts downtown last week - I had wondered if they belonged to the alleged terrorist.)

One note: What are you going to drink with your brat? The vendors will lose the markup on soda and bottled water.

said Kevin L. on October 1, 2009 8:43 AM.

Cindy and Baier... this could be a way the radical-xenophobes would have to launch a birth control program and start shortening the illegal aliens population. Give 'em a job, so it looks like you're helping them, and at the same time you're curbing their enthusiasm and cut down the sperm count.

And Kevin, think about family business. While Carlos Suarez is selling the hot dogs, his boys Juanito, Juarez and Gonzalo are walking around, each one carrying one of these ( http://bit.ly/uy6mD ). Juanito, whos 19 y.o. sells beer, while Juarez and Gonzalo are selling water and soda.

Think about economy stimulus, minimizing poverty effects, birth control and keeping the kids away from the drug gangs of the barrio. It's a win-win situation!

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 1, 2009 8:57 AM.

Leo that's truly crazy. But I applaud the insanity.

said Baierman on October 1, 2009 1:06 PM.

Insanity is my last name!

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 1, 2009 1:18 PM.

Excellent small biz idea, but man how that thing must make you sweat! As if doing a Jesse in food isn't bad enough, here you're swelder-soaking the snack sausage!

said G on October 8, 2009 5:36 AM.