"Heil Hitler?!?" What the Hell Is Happening In Our Country
Under normal circumstances, I would make a few juvenile wisecracks about the nuts that are spewing craziness and bile at the health care town hall meetings. It has been ugly, but there has been some laugh-inducing moments moments. Like the look on the face of the woman after Barney Frank smacked her Nazi nonsense down. That was pretty funny.

There's nothing funny about this. No jokes to be made.

In Las Vegas, a Jewish gentleman is voicing his opinion, quite passionately, about health care in Israel. Off camera, a horrible woman yells "Heil Hitler!" I don't even know what to say. How the man kept it together as well as he did is admirable.

Where is this coming from? I follow the news pretty closely and don't recall all this Nazi symbology and rhetoric being used before. How has it become so prevalent in recent weeks? Even if you disagree with President Obama's proposed health care reform, surely one can see that he is trying to help people. To compare this, trying to figure out a way that more people are cared for, to the most vile and evil group in modern history is deplorable. It's disgusting.

As someone with Jewish friends, and someone that admires Jewish people and culture, I know how much just the mention of this filth can hurt. It immediately invokes the horrors of the Holocaust. Where 6 million plus were killed. For nothing. It invokes the thoughts of grandfathers who had an identification number tattooed on his forearm from Auschwitz.

There are no jokes here. Only shame. It's disheartening to think that we as a society still have this kind of hate festering below the surface. It makes me sad.

Have a good weekend. Do something kind for someone.

Johnny Wright

A simple way to scare people and get media attention is to throw the Adolf comparison around.

Just ask Cindy Sheahan and her Iraq war protesters 4-5 years ago. Different issue, different President, same comparison was thrown out. I think they even had photos of W. with the mini-stache.

The only good that comes of this is that I think there are more rational people out there who look at this lunacy and say "Crazy" "Ridiculous"... even if they are against health care reform.

said Baierman on August 21, 2009 8:22 AM.

What a beeyotch. My stomach actually turned when she did the fake crying at the end. If that was my mother, I'd disown her.

said Cindy on August 21, 2009 8:25 AM.

The end made me sick too, Cindy.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 8:28 AM.

said krigger228 on August 21, 2009 9:20 AM.

One time I was running with a Hitler and it poked my eye out. No wait, that was scissors.

said Razen on August 21, 2009 9:27 AM.

For added lunacy, they interviewed the woman after the incident. Her husband does NOT have health insurance, but she believes no one deserves coverage if they can't pay for it.

said Miss Cellania on August 21, 2009 9:50 AM.

hahaha, stupid woman, she probably believes in God as well

said Razen on August 21, 2009 9:54 AM.

Nice find Miss C. Thank you. I watched the clip and the same woman who yelled "Heil Hitler" says "I believe in Biblical values."

For crying out loud...

May want to go over the Gospels one more time lady.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 10:01 AM.

woah

said valeriob on August 21, 2009 10:24 AM.

For background on the Hitler crap, Baierman totally nails it: there is a hardcore group of Cindy Sheehan-types who are carrying this poisoned water.

Look no further (or Furher) than Lyndon LaRouche moonbats. These are the ones dropping the Baby Ruth in the pool, this time. Having torn a page from the Code Pink page of notoriety, they know that playing the nazi card will get them the attention they crave.

The LaRouche cult has positioned itself for decades as the "true" Democrat Party, and has been an annoyance to the Democrats for decades. I remember standing in the voting booth with my mom when I was a kid way back when and asking who was this "other guy" running for President. "Just a nut," she said.

That nut has incredible longevity. The LaRouchers are absolutely starved for attention, and they've jumped on this opportunity like a duck on a junebug. A crazy duck and a junebug filled with madness gas spores.

said Don't Swayze Bro on August 21, 2009 10:28 AM.

You'll have to pardon me if I'm out of line on this one, but frankly, it's been 60+ years since WWII, and I think the Hitler comparisons are wearing pretty thin. It's as though when people don't have a genuine argument to back up their opinions, they throw Hitler into the ring figuring that's the winning answer to any debate/argument. It's shameful.

said ruffledmind on August 21, 2009 10:48 AM.

Godwins Law: " As a discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

Usually it only applies on the internet, but apparently it's spilled out into the real world. This seems like something 4chan would pull off. Sheer Fucktardocity.

said Sheriff Pablo on August 21, 2009 10:55 AM.

how incredibly childish of that "grown woman", mindblowingly ignorant of her to say that, or really anything at all. i've no respect for anyone using racial slurs and childish tactics like her...

said notjohndoe2 on August 21, 2009 10:56 AM.

I think that's part of why this is upsetting, Ruffled. Maybe people aren't aware of just how horrible the Nazi party was and don't grasp the reality of their crimes. Maybe it's become like Che Guevara on a t-shirt. The dopes don't really grasp what it means.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 10:57 AM.

In my book, as soon as you throw out a Hitler/Nazi reference, you automatically lose the argument.

said Echowood on August 21, 2009 11:08 AM.

Where does one purchase such a book? That could come in handy ...

said Tim on August 21, 2009 11:39 AM.

"I watched the clip and the same woman who yelled "Heil Hitler" says "I believe in Biblical values."

I'm pretty sure after Jesus healed those lepers, he sent them a bill for 8,000 shekels.

But seriously, not to go off on too much of a tangent, I don't see how calling these people "Cindy Sheehan-types" is an apt comparison, aside from perhaps their tenacity and media visibility. These far-right anti-health care reformers are reacting to deliberate disinformation and hyperbolic fearmongering put forth largely by the health insurance industry and its well-paid cronies. Cindy Sheehan actually lost her son.

said Jeem on August 21, 2009 11:40 AM.

Well Said Jeem. Being a moron about the health care system is a whole different kettle of fish compared to protesting a Moronic Asinine war. Big difference.

The thing about the health care system is that nobody has bothered to explain how the government plans to actually PAY for the thing, then again they don't know how to pay for anything really, the concept of a budget seems to elude them entirely.

said Sheriff Pablo on August 21, 2009 1:01 PM.

But that's the thing, Sheriff, those are the kinds of questions that should be discussed. There was a clip from a Montana town hall last week where a gentleman asked Obama that question respectfully and the President answered it. It's a good point and needs to be addressed.

There should be discussion. There should be opposition. It keeps things more honest. (I know there is irony in that statement in regards to politics.) That is why I have been so disturbed by these demonstrations. They are insulting the the general electorate. They are childish and hateful.

This Nazi garbage is just awful.

I need to find a monkey clip or something to post. I'm bumming myself out.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 1:20 PM.

You really can't see how pretending that Obama "is trying to help people... trying to figure out a way that more people are cared for" could be morally reprehensible to some of us? The Nazi namecalling is the same as your mentality of "Wah! Why won't you follow our great leader? Why won't you believe the things we say just because we ant you to? Wah!"

said strathmeyer on August 21, 2009 1:40 PM.

Not even close to the same thing. Not within driving distance of the same thing. Good try.

JW

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 2:05 PM.

Pablo, countries like England and France that have National Health care actually spend less than we do. Their overall health is better too.

said E on August 21, 2009 2:51 PM.

Maybe not their teeth though.

Sorry Scara. I needed some levity.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 3:06 PM.

That seems to be the problem with trying to compare other country's health care to ours. Look at us! We (well most of us) eat fast food, drive everywhere, work too much, don't sleep enough and all in all don't take care of ourselves. How can you compare us to other countries?

Morning Joe had Rep. Weiner on the other morning and he actually made some great points about the healthcare/insurance system.

said krigger228 on August 21, 2009 5:09 PM.

Thats it J-Dubs, I don't want name-calling and Racial Epithet-Hurling. I want open discussion and honest answers. That may be a bit too difficult for your average politician, but it's what we need.

said Sheriff Pablo on August 21, 2009 6:49 PM.

That's all I'm saying pally. Have discussion and debate. That isn't what's happening and it's really troubling. The weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth while screaming "I want my country back" isn't getting us anywhere. It's only causing embarrassment.

Truthfully, I don't know if the Obama plan is going to work. But I recognize that there are a lot of people who have been bent over from the current health care system. If this means more children are able to get proper care, then why not try it. I also know that (about) 75% of the country want some kind of reform. So I'm reading and listening and discussing. The problem is that in our archaic two-party system, many believe your side is already chosen for you before the horse leaves the stable. Left or right. So nobody is listening.

The Brits do complain about the NHS, but not compared to us. There is no such thing as a perfect system. But I do know this; the one we have stinks.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 7:05 PM.

Stinks Like a roadkill skunk. That's why i'm a registered independent. I can't bring myself to blindly follow anyone without watching where i'm going.

People complain about americans blindly following something or other like sheep. That's the wrong comparison to make. They're more like lemmings.

Quit bitchin about "Wahh i want my country back" and start listening and asking questions. It's really that simple.

said Sheriff Pablo on August 21, 2009 7:35 PM.

sain hel hitlur to jwe lik thso assl scotish assmonkes letn erplane bomr go

salp inta fase to viktum famles

scolind let trerrist go cuss hi sik o no sory yo sik assl terrst

bnch a dumasssis in scotlund

assls lik hitlur

said Thomas on August 21, 2009 7:52 PM.

By george, that's the most coherent thing Tommy-boy's ever said!

said Sheriff Pablo on August 21, 2009 8:14 PM.

What an inbred ignorant bitch.Shes not only insulting the whole jewish race but also ever American (or anyone else for that matter) that died fighting in WW2. After you get over the initial shock of her outburst it actually turns laughable..shes wearing an Israeli tee shirt..her husband cant afford health care..shes a 'Christian' but is shouting support the biggest mass murderer ever to set foot on the planet. Shes a walking contradiction...an over opinionated ill informed pawn..Crazy lady..she should be out wandering the streets with a shopping cart full of cats and shouting at her shoes..

said Darren on August 23, 2009 4:57 AM.

Hitler comments like this are the tool of people who have no ability to say something of value.

hence why the liberal shock jocks call all republicans racist hate mongers, and people like rush limbaugh and ann coulter call democrats communist who want to turn your children gay.

Rather than make a valid, reasoned arguements, people at the extremes of both parties and to the far ends of all idologies resort to baselist hate speech.

It shows how screwed up politics are these days.

I am a democrat with my own reservations over the health care reforms, and dislike the fact that the democrats are trying to fix everything at once, and the republicans spend more time complaining about things they added to the bills, claiming they are part of the demcrats schemes, but if we are resorting to such uncivilized behavior as shown in these videos, we as a country lose by default.

said Cory on August 24, 2009 6:51 PM.