Backyard Bear Report

Your journalism assignment: A woman saw a bear in her backyard, but there is no footage, or even a picture of the actual bear. How do you make a compelling video report for the evening news? This happened at WJW in Cleveland and they went all out to make the story work.

(via b3ta)

That has Pulitzer written all over it.

But it does invite the question ... Does the Pope scat in the woods?

said Tim on August 21, 2009 1:58 PM.

What happened to the part where the reporter starts blowing up bushes to find out where the bear is hiding?

"Yes. It was the middle one."

They probably edited that out.

said Tim on August 21, 2009 2:06 PM.

Did anyone else have a Donnie Darko moment when the giant rabbit head talked? That's a lil freaky.

said Scaramouch on August 21, 2009 3:10 PM.

And the local news Emmy for best special effects goes to ...

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2009 3:48 PM.

More "fake but accurate".

said lfsheldon on August 21, 2009 5:01 PM.

Are we sure this is real?
It's too funny.

said Baierman on August 21, 2009 5:01 PM.

This cant be real. Far too funny.

said Evangeline on August 21, 2009 6:28 PM.

I needed that laugh today. Thank you very much.

said Cindy on August 21, 2009 7:12 PM.

I'd say this is probably real. I live in Cleveland. The reporter is an actual reporter for WJW, Fox8 News. Also, I've met that particular naturalist from the Cleveland MetroParks and she's the real deal too...All of this makes me ashamed of our local news teams...as usual.

said clevelandwhiteout on August 21, 2009 8:19 PM.

I see no reason to be ashamed, cwo ... that's some funny shit. It's nothing but a local interest story, so they saw no reason to exploit it or turn it into big drama. They made it funny instead. Certainly held my attention.

Most creative local news reporting I've seen in awhile.

said Tim on August 21, 2009 8:49 PM.

"most creative ... news reporting"

If I want creative, I do not look to "news" orgizations.

"Creative" gives us the MSNBC "Heat-packing white racist" story.

"Creative news" is the reason I don't pay any attention to "MSM" anymore.

said lfsheldon on August 21, 2009 9:05 PM.

Sorry Sheldon, I didn't realize that there were still people out there counting on the local news for nothing but hard-hitting facts.

Carry on.

said Tim on August 21, 2009 9:20 PM.

I grew up near cleveland. I remember when WJW was CBS not FOX. They have REALLY gone downhill. The Rabbit was good though.

said Sheriff Pablo on August 22, 2009 1:24 AM.

Finally, an answer to the age-old question "if a bear scats in the woods and there's no one around to photograph it, does it still make the evening news?" Thank you, Cleveland. Nice work.

said TheWordWire on August 22, 2009 3:12 AM.

Nice...

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2009 9:33 AM.

This reminds me of the Mr. Show sketch where the old man has refused to come out of his house for several days; before the news calls him on the phone and broadcasts the conversation, the anchor says something like, "On screen is a photo of the old man, and a picture of a phone, so you won't get confused."

They should add cardboard cutouts to all news stories from now on.

said Jeem on August 22, 2009 3:41 PM.