Nathan Sorry - A Graphic Novel by Evil Richard

nathansorry_page14_ybnby.gif

Evil Richard here. I know, I know, it's been a long time since I've posted anything. And I'm not sure when or if "Wednesday is New Comics Day" will be returning. (Free tip: Go pick up DC's Wednesday Comics book today) But, Scaramouch gave me permission to stop by and fill you in on what I've been up to. Especially since I got some exciting news about it last week.

Nathan Sorry is an online graphic novel that I've been working on for a while now and is just starting to ramp up. It's about a guy named Nathan Sorry who should have been in the World Trade Center on 9/11 but instead disappears with a new identitiy and $20 million stolen through a Ponzi scheme. Two months later a guy named James Goode shows up in a small town in North Carolina and shakes up the lives of a few of its residents.

Last week, Warren Ellis, writer of such famous comics as Transmetropolitan, Planetary and The Authority, mentioned Nathan Sorry on his website as a webcomic worth watching.

Come check it out here. I'm working towards getting to a 1 page per week schedule as there's a lot more stuff to tell. Stolen and confused identities, online sex ads, an unsolved murder, cheating hearts and the War in Afghanistan all play a big part in the story to come.

I just read the first 16 pages--very cool, well written.

I've wondered when someone was going to use disappearing on 9/11 as a plot point ever since I saw that postcard on PostSecret that read: "Everyone who knew me before 9/11 thinks I'm dead." I wonder how many people took that moment to just walk away. It's a compelling idea--I'm curious to see how it plays out.

said Chris on July 8, 2009 11:41 AM.

Wow, Richard, nice work!

I think most of us can relate to the possibility of secretly slipping into a new identity. Can't wait to see where this story goes.

About how often do you add a page? And how do you plan to make money with this?

said Brother Bill on July 8, 2009 12:04 PM.

Looks excellent. I like the concept too.

said E on July 8, 2009 1:25 PM.

Thanks, guys!

Brother Bill, I've been on a pace of about a page every 2-3 weeks but I'm working on upping my pace so that I can be on a regular schedule of 1 page/per week. Next page will hopefully go up end of next week.

In the meantime there's an email signup page on the site to get alerts when a new page is posted. Or follow me on Twitter (@richcbarrett). I talk about it a lot there.

How do I plan on making money on this? No clue. At some point I'll begin using a print on demand service and start selling installments of it. I haven't gotten that far yet. Ideally, I'd love for some publisher to find it online and fall in love with it but until then I'm just having fun getting the story out there for now.

said Evil Richard on July 8, 2009 1:54 PM.

That's very cool. Like the illustrations also. What a twisted little thought process ... seeing your own reflection in a toilet bowl of your own puke, and tatooed hooters with a prophetic message. What could possibly be next? I need to know ...

said Ben Lurkin on July 8, 2009 2:00 PM.

Rich - definitely enjoying this. Good work!

said Echowood on July 8, 2009 2:56 PM.

So Cool.
I happened upon Nathan Sorry a couple of days ago and had no idea it would tie back to YBNBY!
I have to say, I was sucked into the story, totally!
Well done, Rich.

Good Luck.

Give us more!

said EffenIdontcare on July 8, 2009 7:35 PM.

I'm kinda late to the party here, but this is great! Really intrigued by the story, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Keep it up, Rich!

said Jeem on July 15, 2009 3:06 PM.