Rebranding America

rebrandfinal.jpg

Via AdFreak, recently Paper Magazine asked 15 well-known "visual communicators" to rebrand America, in the form of a one page print ad.

The brief asked..."How would you make people love us again? How would you change our brand image? Our perception abroad? How could you project our future to our citizens? If America had a new ad campaign."

Some of the submisions are really interesting. I think the clay is my favorite, followed by the US made up of different countries (no us and them...a very nice thought), but the Statue of Liberty giving birth is just plain creepy. You can check them all out here.

On a side note, I like how the editor let everyone see who else was being asked in his initial communcation, so that none of them would want to be left out. We should try that sometime.

Where did the Ronald McDonald and Energy Independence graphics come from? They weren't on the link.

I vote for the clay one, too.

said Kevin L. on May 22, 2009 8:10 AM.

Oh, sorry. AdFreak didn't post all of them. Click on "rebrand America" link.

said Jellio on May 22, 2009 8:23 AM.

That was awful. That's what passes for design? A blind mole with diarrhea could have designed those. All with their overly artsy BS "slogans" that were so empty and devoid of any true meaning... Obama on Che's T-shirt was the most powerful image, but one that made me want to slap it's designer silly. Unless the point of it is that both guys are revered by lefties even though they aren't going to change shit.

said LostInDaJungle on May 22, 2009 9:54 AM.

The only thing missing in thecreepy Obama/Che shirt one is Obama sitting atop the corpses of the innocent dead from summary executions.

But I think that it unwittingly delivers the point nicely.

Our American President = Bloodthirsty Ideologue.

It should have had the caption: "I'm from the government...and I'm here to help."

said Don't Swayze Bro on May 22, 2009 10:09 AM.

Damn. I want my minute back.

America doesn't need rebranding.
Our country wasn't built on a foundation of ass kissers.

You don't see people sneaking across the border to get out of the U.S. for a better life.

Do I give a damn if the French hate Americans? Hell no. Those bastards would be speaking German if it wasn't for America.

If you want a brand, post a picture of the schrapnel scarred leg of my dead Grandpa. Along with the date June 6th, 1944.

This is The U.S. If you want Europe, get the hell out.

Our brand is the U.S. flag. Nothing will replace that.

Obama wearing an Obama shirt as our new brand? You've gotta be joking me. I'd wear a photo of Sheriff Pablo in full uniform on the front of my shirt any day of the week over that joke.

said Dave on May 22, 2009 10:12 AM.

Quite a varied selection. Visually i like the states / spinal column one, very clean and meaningful. But the best overall is the No More US And Them.

I think the French also have some Soviets to thank.... of which some 10 million plus died fighting.

said etantao on May 22, 2009 10:59 AM.

Interesting how the ad agencies will cowtow to any type of pressure from the poltically correct police. We need to reach down and squeeze -em like we got a pair, and man-up and do right by this country first. Screw what others think of us, they still come runn'in when the dookie hits the fan!!!

said mekon12 on May 22, 2009 11:14 AM.

I like the 3 lumps of clay. Thinking about a country as a constant work in progress is interesting.

In general these feel like the designs created by cynical advertising folks who spend too much time reading Daily Kos and Huff Post and getting beaten around by their corporate clients.
In other words, don't get to worked up about them.

said Baierman on May 22, 2009 11:26 AM.

BAIER DON'T TELL WHAT TO OR WHAT NOT TO GET WORKED UP OVER!

YOULL BE GETTING A PACKAGE IN THE MAIL FROM ME!
WATCH YOUR ASSSSSSSSSSS!

Just kidding.

said Dave on May 22, 2009 11:34 AM.

I like the states/spine one too. As an image. Don't think much of the concept of branding, nations or fast food chains.

said E on May 22, 2009 11:54 AM.

I like how Dave has started adding disclaimers to alot of his comments. How long do we think that'll last?

Just kidding :)

Also, agree that alot of these layout are amatuer hour (IMHO). But I did like a couple.

On a separate topic...Since I've been away for a while, Is it ok with anyone at this site to be pro-human race? Or is anything other than "If ya ain't with us, you're agin' us: just 100% pinko, commie bullshit...just taking the temperature.

said Jellio on May 22, 2009 12:02 PM.

I think it's the thread, not the visitors. And don't forget Rule #61: Never take anything Dave says seriously.

With America's recent behaviour though, these "posters" trying to rebrand America are like a poster saying "Hitler: He's short and cute!" What's next, we drop flowers from B-52's before the bombing run? "Uh, oh, cluster bombs... and daisies." "Damn Achmed, when the Americans go with Daisies, you know they mean business."

There were some good ones, but they got lost in the wash of all the bad ones. And like too many ad campaigns, they're trying to convince you that it's "new and improved" when there isn't a damn thing that's changed. If America thinks it can advertise it's way out of being considered a clumsy colossus who strides around the world breaking things... Well, that's pretty darn American isn't it. We can rebrand torture (enhanced interrogation), rebrand invasion (preemptive strike), and can create an ad campaign so convincing that you'll swear there were WMD's and Saddam had something to do with 9/11.

Why don't we worry less about making idiotic ad campaigns and worry about being a better product. When you have a good product, you don't need advertising.

said LostInDaJungle on May 22, 2009 12:25 PM.

Dear Jellio Mussolini,

You ran out of disclaimers earlier this week.

Love Dave.

said Dave on May 22, 2009 12:28 PM.

Dear LiDJ-

Please see my forum post on Douche bags.

Love Dave.

said Dave on May 22, 2009 12:35 PM.

Dear Dave-

As you are the expert on doucebaggery, I will defer to your expertise.

Love LIDJ.

said LostInDaJungle on May 22, 2009 12:58 PM.

Dear Jellio,

It is possible to care for world problems and other countries and still have love and pride for ones own country.

Some love and pride runs a little deeper. This weekend I will visit the graves of my grandfathers who both paid huge prices for our freedom.
I'll visit the grave site of my Uncle that paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
I realise that my patriotism has been bred into me.

This weekend if you visit the graves of your grandfathers, there is a possibility that they fought under the likes of Benito Mussolini, who was nearly a great man in his own right, unfortunately made the wrong decision of which side to fight on. So I can understand that your spirit of patriotism is that of a conquered spirit. That spirit of "dammit we are fighting on the wrong side". So, I'm not going to blame you for the thoughts of your heart.
Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps your family immigrated before the big war and your grandfathers fought for the U.S. If that is the case, I would say repent. Love your country. It's OK to love your country. It's OK to have pride and love the land that affords you the opportunity to write your liberal babblings.
It's Ok to help other countries and do both.
Repent before you die and find that your Grandfathers meet you with a U.S. Army boot in your ass.

Love Dave.

said Dave on May 22, 2009 1:21 PM.

I'm proud to know you, Dave. And I respect the sacrifices your family has made for the United States.

As for me, I may be the wrong person to have this conversation. As even though I'm 100% guinea, and about 3/4 of my relatives are still in the mother country, I never think of myself as Italian, first. I could care less if Rome beats Barcelona in soccer (unless I've got money on the game), or if Alberto Tomba wins five gold medals in the downhill (only Italian Olympic guy I could think of), or that there's an Italian American on the Supreme Court (who I actually can't stand). Doesn't do anything for me. But I realize I'm probably in the extreme minority on that one.

And as for loving one's own country, I'm all for it. But I also think that includes doing everything you can to improve it. (Then again, the most I do is voice my opinions on a blog, so who's the hypocrite

said Jellio on May 22, 2009 2:58 PM.

I stir in my seat as I postulate what gravity of Alien attack will remove 'country' from human vocabulary.

said Anthony Alexander on May 23, 2009 4:02 PM.