Monkey Burger Joint
Jackson Monkey.jpgMonkey News!

I cannot think of a better Memorial Day gift for the Loyal 77 than to tell you the quick story of a monkey burger joint.

My brother Chris called a couple days ago and said "You won't believe where we're going to take your nephews this weekend. There's a burger joint that has a monkey."

You have my attention. Go on.

It's true. Some of my family was going to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville Oregon. The famous Howard Hughes creation Spruce Goose now calls that museum home. While looking on the web for a place to eat nearby, Chris stumbled across information for Alf's Burgers and Ice Cream. A run-of-the-mill burger place. But, they have a secret weapon. A freaking monkey named Elvis. The little stinker lives there and entertains as you eat.

My nephews, Jackson - 6 and Luke - 3 1/2, now list this as their favorite restaurant. Even better than Chuck E. Cheese.

Store Front.jpg
I laughed at that picture for a good 10 minutes. On the store front Alf's advertises what they feature. "Banana Splits. Corn Dog. Monkey. Shrimp." How many people drove by not knowing there was a living monkey and said "Hey Honey, I think that restaurant serves monkey burgers."

Pictures of Elvis the Monkey after the jump.

Elvis Monkey.jpg
There is Elvis the Monkey. Complete with diaper and pants. Little devil.

Monkey Nap.jpg
After entertaining my rambunctious nephews, Elvis needed a nap.

Luke Statue.jpg
Elvis had a big influence on the behavior of my nephew Luke.

If you are ever in McMinnville Oregon, pop into Alf's Burgers and Ice Cream. Tell them my nephews sent you.

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend...

JW

So jealous...I grew up 90 minutes away from this place and never knew about it!?

said Britt on May 24, 2009 11:21 PM.

OK, first ... Jackson looks a lot like you. In fact, I think we've seen you make that exact face and gesture when belting out a hearty "Dammit Dave" or two. Scary.

Also, an observation. What is the neon monkey in the window holding? Is that a fishing pole?

Who cages a fishing monkey? Honestly. P.T. Barnum is spinning in his grave.

said Tim on May 25, 2009 12:07 AM.

I looked at the other pictures of the excursion and I think the neon monkey is holding a fish. A fishing monkey. I'm laughing just picturing it.

said Johnny Wright on May 25, 2009 12:21 AM.

It looks like there is more than one. There is a monkey on the outside wall (to the right of the neon one; wearing a red shirt) holding a fish as well.

Fishing monkeys must be common in the area. Hence, the ambivalence towards exploiting this ...

said Tim on May 25, 2009 12:55 AM.

I have to agree with Tim here..your nephew looks just like you!! I love how excited he is..what a great picture!

My kids would love this restaurant too..but who is the unlucky sap who gets to change Elvis' diapers? Ewwww..

said CindylovesScara on May 25, 2009 6:10 AM.

Скажите а материалы с Вашего сайта можно у себя размещать?

said Sweeskker on May 25, 2009 5:55 PM.

Couldn't have said it better myself Sweeskker. Very insightful.

said Johnny Wright on May 25, 2009 6:03 PM.

I used to live in McMinnville... last time I was at Alf's they had 2 monkeys named Herbie and Maynard! They were always in diapers, which I guess was good considering the alternative. Nice to know that Alf's is still around!

said Amber Bamber on May 25, 2009 10:25 PM.

JW--this is what babelfish translated that to, btw:
"Say and materials from your site it is possible in itself to place"

insightful would be one word...

monkeys and burgers...so cool....

said sarcastic one on May 25, 2009 11:15 PM.

Actually, what Sweeskker is trying to say is: "In Soviet Russia, monkeys eat YOU at burger joints."

said Leonardo Carvalho on May 26, 2009 8:05 AM.