Ten cereals you may not remember.

CerealHeader.jpg

Have you noticed the big thing on Facebook these days is those lists of your five favorite whatevers? You know...favorite movies...albums...dog breeds. I had just finished my five favorite fascist dictators and sick day excuses when I saw one that really brought me back to my childhood. I went pretty mainstream with my five favorite cereal choices (gotta give it up for the Captain) but the excercise reminded m of some other pretty unique brands. Do you remember any of these?

The video game cereals
VideoGameCereals.jpg
Remember how you'd line up all the ghosts, and let the little smiley guy sneak up on 'em and chew them to bits. Mike Tyson Punchout shoulda been a cereal. Soda Popinski and the Bald Bull would make tasty little treats.

Black sheep monster cereals
MonsterCereals.jpg
Give a vampire, frankenstein monster and blue ghost all the fame, but where's the love for the werewolf or mummy? They're like the uncle you never talk about because of an old restraining order. Makes me sad.

Former running back cereals
OJCereal.jpg
Never had this one, but I don't imagine they'll ever reintroduce it. And look, he's even wearing gloves.

World War I lover cereals
BaronCereals.jpg
I don't know. I just get the feeling that after the war, these two met one night in a dimly lit Parisian cafe, and spent the rest of their lives raising alpacas in the countryside.

International stereotype cereals
IntlCereals.jpg.jpg
Are you getting the same un-pc feeling I'm getting? Aussies hate being associated with kangaroos.

Health food lover cereals
DonetCereals.jpg
Belushi and the little chocolat donuts...that's all I can keep thinking of. You ever read about the ballpark that sold a burger that came on two glazed donuts. That would make a nice side dish for these.

Remember the merchandising cereals
MovieCereals.jpg
How many other pop stars would've made great cereals? Let's see...Hurley's Darm-O's...Big Pussy's little sleeping fishes....Golden Girl Bran Flakes. The list goes on and on.

This guy
PredatorCereal.jpg
After a lucrative career in the cereal game, his highness went on to appear on several episodes of To Catch a Predator.

HGH cereals
MuscleCereals.jpg
I could've added the Wheaties box with A-Rod on the cover, but Yankee fans have enough grief these days. And what about the box in the middle...that's just creepy.

Stoner puffs
FreakyCereal.jpg
Finally, the real reason sugary cereals were ever invented. The heck with the kids, if someone were to track the rise of marijuana sales in the US, and plot the points next to a sales graph for Coco Puffs, you's see a surpisingly parallel course. You know those pot vending machines in California. Imagine if each one had a Captain Crunch machine next to it. There's a million dollar idea waiting to happen.

FYI: A lot of these boxes are collectibles.

Quentin Tarantino owns a "Fruit Brute" box and it shows up as a prop in a lot of his movies.

"Quake" was introduced simultaneously with another cereal called "Quisp" (portrayed by an alien), and they had a whole series of cartoon commercials.

said Kevin L. on April 29, 2009 8:21 AM.

I still get the song for the nintendo cereal commercial stuck in my head every so often...

Nintendo.
It's a cereal now.
Nintendo.
It's a cereal, wow.

Or something like that.

said k8 on April 29, 2009 8:23 AM.

5 letters:

Q-U-I-S-P

said JediJeff on April 29, 2009 8:30 AM.

Do they still make cookie crisp?

said Dave on April 29, 2009 9:42 AM.

Regarding Sir Grapefellow and Baron von Redberry, biplanes and triplanes were World War I, not II. Most of these cereals weren't terribly bad, but nothing to buy a second time. About 20 years ago there was a rush of movie-themed cereals. One was The Addams Family Cereal. Oh ghod, it was sooo nasty.

said Stevie-o on April 29, 2009 10:21 AM.

True...my apologies for the WWII typo. I really shouldn't write these things at five in the morning.

said Jellio on April 29, 2009 10:37 AM.

Dave,

I have a box of Cookie Crisp in the house right now. My daughters love it.

said Tim on April 29, 2009 11:37 AM.

Most of these seem like they were from the 80's and 90's. Is that true? I don't remember any of them except Quake and GSGL. I must be too old.

Quisp was one of my favorites.

said Tim on April 29, 2009 11:42 AM.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cereal was awesome.... Like Fruity pebbles except all green and weird shaped marshmallows.

This is an old man's cereal but I miss Grape Nuts O's. They just took it off the market a year ago. That was great to snack on.

said Baierman on April 29, 2009 12:03 PM.

K8- I came in here to say the same thing about that Nintendo cereal song. It still pops into my head once in a while for no reason.

Nin-Ten-Do!

It's a cereal!

said toastbot on April 29, 2009 12:37 PM.

Tim, when I was a little boy, I always wanted cookie crisp cereal. My mom always told me no because it was bad for us. As I got older I realised that it wasn't because it was bad for us that we never got the cereal, it was because we couldn't afford it.
I remember eating at a friends house once and they had cookie crisp cereal. It was the best thing that I had ever eaten. It was my favorite cereal even though I only ate it one time.
I think I'll go pick up some cookie crisp on the way home from work tonight.

said Dave on April 29, 2009 2:47 PM.

Thank you so much for mentioning Freakies! I loved this cereal..plus the little plastic toys of the characters!!! I'm sure I have them somewhere in a box in the basement!

said Brian on April 30, 2009 10:53 AM.

Does anyone remember a cereal from the mid to late eighties called Dinosaurs or having something to do with dinosaurs? They were multicolored and tasted kind of like Froot Loops if I remember correctly.

said Lauren on April 30, 2009 12:31 PM.

@Lauren - I remember that! I can picture it, but don't know the name. I just know that one box came with a green marker that smelled like limes. I had that marker for years.

I'm amazed at how many of these cereals I ate. Of course, anyone who has seen Pee-wee's Big Adventure remembers Mr. T Cereal.

Anyone remember the Swedish Chef-themed "Croonchy Stars"? They were little cinnamon stars - pretty good. And I'll go on record and say that C3PO's were AWESOME.

said Patrick on May 1, 2009 8:41 AM.

King Vitamin is still on the shelves! Although I don't think the box stares back at you anymore...

said Y'Know on May 1, 2009 10:47 AM.

@Patrick beat me to Croonchy Stars ... those were awesome.

Loved the commercial for Nintendo Cereal: Nintendo, "it's a cereal, wow!"

There was Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr. cereals

Sonic the Hedgehog had a brief stint as a marshmallow cameo in Cheerios

Who can forget Pokemon cereal?

There was "Crazy Cow" which turned your milk in to "Strawberry Milk"!

Kelloggs had "Puffa Puffa Rice" with a volcano on the box

Kaboom! cereal had a scary clown reminiscent of something from Stephen King

General Mills had "Wackies"

There was the wonka-esque "Mr. Wonderfulls Surprize" - the only cereal with a creamy chocolate filling in the middle

Post "Sugar Corn-fetti" had a peg-leg pirate on the box

Cap'n Crunch Punch Crunch was short-lived

There was also "Batman: The Cereal"

Bill & Ted's Excellent Cereal

Nerds Cereal

So many more ... must stop here ... Thanks for the memories!

said Cereal Killa on May 2, 2009 1:45 PM.

Totally QUISP!!

I still have a 2 freakies magnets that came inside the box. Man those dudes were freakie...

said susan on May 4, 2009 5:10 PM.