Is There A Horse Serial Killer On the Loose?
Polo_1900.jpgMan, I'm hating this story.

Over the weekend in Florida, 21 horses from at the Polo Club Palm Beach were found dead. 21! I'm sick about this.

It seems there was foul play.
Celeste Kunz, chief examining veterinarian at the New York Racing Association and a 19-year veterinarian, said Monday that she suspected a tainted substance was injected into the horses.

"[It was] something that was administered for it to work in a short amount of time and have an animal succumb that quickly," Kunz said. "My thought is that something was injected because it would have to affect the central nervous system."

If there is some sicko that is killing the equine, I hope some horse-loving vigilante founds the offender and goes Tony Soprano on him. What I mean is, when Tony found out that Ralphie Cifaretto murdered Pie-O-My, the mob boss lost it, snuffed out Ralph and crammed his head in a bowling ball bag.

It may be the end result we need if these horsies were murdered.

(That photo above? That's the polo competition from the 1900 Olympics.)

ralph_l.jpg

If I were the cops, I'd be interviewing the CEO of Elmer's Glue.

said Echowood on April 20, 2009 3:23 PM.

Some impressionable youth probably just read Equus.

said E on April 20, 2009 3:25 PM.

Rumor has it that it's a reaction to tainted steroids adminstered by an Argentine vet who's not licensed to practice in the US.

Some of us are actually upset by the deaths of 21 beautiful creatures who were possibly given illegal drugs so that their rich owners could win a game, but I guess you should feel free to go ahead and make fun of it.

said Kate on April 21, 2009 2:21 AM.

Kate, if you have read enough of Johnny's writings you will know that he is not making fun of the issue...
He is an animal lover (but not in the *wrong* sense of the term) and was upset about the story.

Johnny, I'll be your alibi should you need to go on a trip and take care of the sicko who did this...

said sarcastic one on April 21, 2009 10:25 AM.

No kidding Kate, I really am angry about this story. I wasn't mocking it at all.

said Johnny Wright on April 21, 2009 10:51 AM.

I have to say, I think you're all overreacting a little here over this story. This isn't children who were killed, it's just horses. And by that I mean, people have been racing horses to death for centuries. Around 800 race horses die or are euthanized every year in the US, and I don't think it's ever come up on YBNBY before since we started. 800 a year is 15 a week, on average. In the US alone.

Have you never been to the races and seen them pull the little tent around? I guess that's a lot more common in England for the steeplechase.

I'm not mocking, I'm just saying, don't have a knee jerk reaction to a story that CNN will milk to get as much attention as it can, unless you're prepared to support a ban the use of horses in all sports.

said Scaramouch on April 21, 2009 2:04 PM.

Scara, it's akin to taking your 15 year old dog to the vet to have put down or coming home and finding your young dog dead, for no apparent reason. The owners didn't choose to put them down.

Old people die every day, but when the stupid gunman went into the nursing home and opened fire, it didn't make it right.

It's the context...

said sarcastic one on April 21, 2009 2:09 PM.

Sorry, I was referring to the Elmer's Glue comment, not to the post itself. I should have been clearer.

And for people like me who love horses, the whole "at least they're only horses and not children" line is useless and pointless.

I also don't think there's any need to ban the use of all horses in sports; as long as the horses are well-treated, which most polo ponies are, actually.

Sorry Johnny for the misunderstanding; I love your blog.

said Kate on April 21, 2009 6:36 PM.

No problem at all Kate. I appreciate that.

Thank you for reading.

JW

said Johnny Wright on April 21, 2009 7:03 PM.