Pearl Jam Rereleases "Ten"
Drop in the Park.jpgPearl Jam, my favorite band, is rereleasing their epic debut "Ten" today. The record can be bought at your favorite record shop or on iTunes. If you are like me, you pre-ordered the uber "Super Deluxe Edition" in December.

The deluxe box-set has a vinyl edition of Pearl Jam's famous Drop in the Park concert in 1992. That is where the picture for this post comes from. I was there. Look close and I'm somewhere in the middle of the shot. I think I was wearing a Who t-shirt and a Sonics hat backwards. Ed climbed into the rafters while the boys played "Porch."

How Pearl Jam has stayed relevant and continued to play sold out tours for this long is a musical miracle.

Click "continue reading" and we're going to do a special Pearl Jam Memories Lunch Hour Veg.

A handful of my favorites.

"Porch" at the Pink Pop Festival, 1992.

"Animal" from the MTV VMA's, 1993.

"Even Flow" at the Seattle Center, 1991. This is very early on.

"Oceans" from MTV Unplugged, 1992.

Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World," 1992.

Even Flow,

JW

1. How'd he get down from there?
2. Funny how they have little MJ dolls on their set.
3. Neil Young's voice chaps my hide (sounds like a nice guy though). I wonder if Skynard is still pissed at him.

said E on March 24, 2009 1:30 PM.

Ed's microphone was looped over the rafters. He slid down the cord back to the stage.

Then ... he swung on the cord over the crowd a few times before letting go and flying into the pit. We passed him back to the stage and he finished the song.

No kidding.

said Johnny Wright on March 24, 2009 1:40 PM.

Sigh, I'm obviously older than most of the posters here. Pearl Jam sucks. Plodding, pompous, damn near tone deaf.

The continued popularity of Pearl Jam can be traced to one thing... "Hey let's go to the Pearl Jam and concert and score/sell weed/coke/meth/a young boy's virginity." Same as the Dead... Half the people who followed the show towwards the end had never heard of the band much less know who the hell was on stage. They did know that Dead shows were a great place to get grass and ass. Plus Horse, Cid, Columbian Penecilllin, Chinese dreams...

Sorry to be a curmudgeon.

said LostInDaJungle on March 24, 2009 1:42 PM.

"How Pearl Jam has stayed relevant ....this long is a musical miracle. "

Yeah dude, they are still relevant, just like the Spice Girls and the dudes that sang the Macarena.

Hell, I haven't heard Pearl Jam on any radio station for at least 7 years.

Relevant. That's funny! Pffft!

said Dave on March 24, 2009 1:58 PM.

If only I could go back to 1991....

I saw these guys open for Smashing Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers right before Ten broke big. It was in a small theater, maybe 3k people.

I remember making fun of the name of the band before the show, walking in half way through their set and buying TEN the very next day. I went to the show to see RHCP, my favorite band at the time, and left with a new favorite.

Haven't kept up with them recently. Shit, i think the last album I bought was Yield or one of the ones after that.
Burn me a CD Johnny of some recent tunes and bring it with you tonight.

said Baierman on March 24, 2009 2:07 PM.

Scary Spice is more relevant to me now than ever before.

said Tim on March 24, 2009 2:08 PM.

Goes without saying that if they're even remotely relevant today it's because people cling to the "jam" part of their name and need yet another pile of shit in their aural arsenal to noodle themselves to.

This band was crap metal that took themselves WAY too seriously.

said Dobbson on March 24, 2009 4:26 PM.

I imagine in the next six months I'll hear a radio add kind of like this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen coming to you live from the Crow Indian reservation Hotel and Casino Lounge....Pearl Jam!"

They might sell out the first three rows of Lounge seating.

said Dave on March 24, 2009 6:48 PM.

That's just fine with me, Dave. Second row seating for Pearl Jam, small venue ... you in JW?

said Tim on March 24, 2009 8:33 PM.

And you can download the entire album on Rock Band as of today too, woo hoo! (I'm a Rock Band addict, I admit it). At least you can on the Xbox 360, I don't know about PS3 and Wii.

said Annadeus on March 24, 2009 10:30 PM.

I think Dave means 3 nights at the Garden. So, yes Tim, I'll be there for that.

said Johnny Wright on March 24, 2009 10:32 PM.

Yeah, but being the opening act for a Hannah Montana concert doesn't really qualify as "Selling out the Garden".

Sorry bro.

On the other hand Tim, I think your girls will really enjoy the concert.

said Dave on March 25, 2009 10:07 AM.

Count me in. Small venue. Great seats. Gambling on premise. Yes!

said Baierman on March 25, 2009 10:11 AM.

Dave is just upset because Eddie and the boys would be cutting into his quality Hannah/Miley time.....

said sarcastic one on March 25, 2009 10:18 AM.

S.O.- You say that like it's a bad thing.

said Dave on March 25, 2009 11:02 AM.

Dave, considering you're about the age she usually goes for, go for it....

just don't breaky her heart or her daddy might come after you with *his* shotgun....

said sarcastic one on March 25, 2009 11:18 AM.

Two young musicians found themselves at a fork in their respective careers. Having already achieved early success, both men knew they had bright futures ahead of them. The question before each of them now: What type of musician/artist/entertainer do you want to be?

Never one to pass on a great opportunity, the devil presented himself to the two lads to help further define the paths before them. As usual, the price of his assistance should you choose the wrong path? Your soul.

The first path, the devil continued, leads to a life of reasonable existence. Success would be achieved through hard work and endless touring with limited commercial assistance. There would be fame, but it would be of little assistance in any activist causes. There would be no regular meetings with World leaders, no gladhanding with business leaders and very few opportunities to state your causes. You are a musician. You will be using the power of your music and your artistry to entertain and provoke thought about your causes. The stage will be your primary artistic outlet, as well as your pulpit. The cost of this meager existence will be nothing.

The second path, the devil embellished, leads to a glorious life full of unlimited success, stardom and fame. You will change your name and become a musical marketing phenomenon. There will be big endorsement deals, meetings with World leaders, media attention and your pulpit will be anywhere you want it to be. Your music will achieve the highest in commercial success; at times perhaps even minimizing or masking its true message. No worries, though, as it will become a secondary vehicle as you explore your true calling as an activist leader. You will achieve great fame.

After very little consideration, the first young man turned away from the devil and eagerly proceeded down the first path; staying true to his craft.

The second young man had very different ideas. An activist at heart, he was unable to pass on the opportunity to get his word to the masses as quickly and easily as possible. He turned and eagerly headed for the second path.

"Not so fast, lad.", said the devil. "Are you sure that you are prepared to accept the fame and glory that you will encounter on your journey?"

"Absolutely, I am." responded the eager disciple. "So be it, then!", responded the devil. "You shall hereafter be known as 'Bono'. And upon the end of your journey, I shall have your soul."

And with that, Bono was on his way to international fame.

That is why I respect Eddie Vedder.
(Plus, he's from Chicago ... a great place to be from.)

said Tim on March 25, 2009 12:19 PM.

UPDATE: My box set arrived. On the cover of the Drop in the Park vinyl, adjacent from Ed swing over the crowd, you can see me. I was quite pleased with that.

I took a picture of it here:

said Johnny Wright on March 27, 2009 7:22 PM.