Free Entertainment! (In Podcast Form)
podcast_ybnby.JPG
Podcasts are still a mystery to most people. Asking someone to download them is like making an epileptic watch an episode of Max Headroom ... the results aren't pretty. (If you have iTunes, go to the iTunes store, click on "podcasts" and search (and download) to your heart's content.) I'm lucky enough to have one of those jobs that let's me strap a set of headphones on and while away the day listening to whatever I'd like. And I've discovered that not only are Podcasts great to listen to, but they may actually make you smarter. I've collected some of the better ones below for you to check out.

• The Adam Carolla Podcast - One half of the "Man Show" before his co-host went on to host Jimmy Kimmel Live, Carolla hosted his own morning talk show out in LA, taking over for Howard Stern after his move to satellite. As it happens with most entertaining things (see: Arrested Development, Firefly, etc...) Carolla got the boot. Luckily, he's producing this uncensored podcast literally from his den. It's entertaining, and ridiculously funny. My personal favorite is his interview with David Allen Grier. Listen here: Adam Carolla - The Adam Carolla Podcast - The Adam Carolla Podcast
  • This American Life - It took me a while to get used to host Ira Glass's voice, but I'm glad I did. This is one of the best produced and most interesting shows around. It's guaranteed to entertain and shines a bright deserving spotlight not on Hollywood or politics, but on the average American. Listen here: Chicago Public Radio - This American Life - This American Life
  • Stuff You Should Know - Interested in knowing how to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel? Want to know more about Alien Hand Syndrome? Trying to figure out what the hell Habeas Corpus is? This is the podcast for you. Listen here: HowStuffWorks.com - Stuff You Should Know - Stuff You Should Know
  • Stuff You Missed in History Class - Produced by How Stuff Works, the same folks who bring you Stuff You Should Know, this podcast will actually increase the size of your brain*. If you're a History buff, you don't want to miss this podcast. Listen here: HowStuffWorks.com - Stuff You Missed in History Class - Stuff You Missed in History Class
  • Countdown with Keith Olbermann - Keith has his detractors. But if you're looking for political coverage (with a heavy liberal bias) without as many jokes as the Daily Show, but not as serious as the evening news, tune into Keith's podcast. (It's a direct video of the previous night's show). Watch here: MSNBC - MSNBC Countdown (video) - MSNBC Countdown (video)
  • Car Talk - I don't listen to hear about fixing cars, but to hear brothers Tom and Ray Magliozzi rib each other and callers in good-natured fun. Listen here: Tom and Ray Magliozzi - NPR: Car Talk Podcast - NPR: Car Talk Podcast
  • Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me - Think you know the headlines? Think you're up on current events? The folks at Wait Wait might have a thing or two to say about that. Both informative and funny, Wait Wait is basically a trivia show on what's happening around the world. Listen here: National Public Radio - NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast - NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast
Now it's your turn. Did I miss any?

(*Increased brain size not guaranteed by YesButNoButYes or How Stuff Works)

I like Ira Glass's voice though he does sound a tad effeminite, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I tried listening to the Stuff You Missed in History class. I couldn't handle the voices of those chicks. It sounded like getting a history lesson from Paris Hilton.

said E on March 5, 2009 2:47 PM.

E- I have to agree with you on the History Class podcast. The host sounds exactly like this girl I took to a dance in High School. She was so prim and proper and made me feel like my mom was speaking to me while we were pelvic grinding to Stairway to Heaven.

said Echowood on March 5, 2009 2:56 PM.

Subscribe to the history podcast. look forward to listening on my commute home.

I'd also recommend...

Mid-Western Teen Sex show is really funny take on sex education.
But strangely, I read that it's getting teens to open out and discuss the dangers and precautions they should take. (this is a video podcast)

Slate GabFest

KCRWs left right & center

ESPN: The BS Report

Never Not Funny

said Baierman on March 5, 2009 3:05 PM.

PS - The one thing annoying about podcasts is I'm constantly having to resubscribe to them.
Anyone else find that new updates don't load automatically. About once a month I have to use iTunes store to get the shows I'm supposed to get daily.
Anyone have suggstions how to fix this? Or why this happens.

said Baierman on March 5, 2009 3:08 PM.

I like the BS report too. Simmons had Corrolla on as a guest recently. I'll have to check out his podcast.

Interesting point Echowood. The History girls sound hot. Course you never know.

said E on March 5, 2009 3:12 PM.

The Mack Lessons is good too. Tariq "King Flex" Nasheed chopping up game and spitting from the survival scrolls.

From the Urban Dictionary:
As in "BITCH IM FLOWIN FROM THE SURVIVAL SCROLLS."
meaning im telling you the truth and im being real with you, do not disbelieve me.

said E on March 5, 2009 3:20 PM.

And for those of us who don't use iTunes? Hmmph. (Seriously, I freakin' hate iTunes.)

They Might Be Giants also does a Friday Podcast for Families that anyone with kids should check out. (I watch them on YouTube...)

said LostInDaJungle on March 5, 2009 3:30 PM.

I also love the Savage Love Podcast... Dan Savage is very frank (and VERY funny). Probably NSFW, but always worth listening to.

said Chris on March 5, 2009 4:05 PM.

sModcast - Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier rant about everything. Usually weekly.
Fanboys -hilarious stuff. Sporadic.
The Moth - The Moth features people telling true, engaging, funny, touching and eye-opening stories from their lives. weekly.
Podcastle, Pseudopod and Escapepod - Fantasy, horror and Sci-fi fiction. Every couple of days.
Coverville - fun cover version music show. Weekly.
Adam and Joe - Funny UK comedy show. Weekly.

said dee on March 5, 2009 4:15 PM.

Check out Radio Lab if you like TAL and science. Extremely well produced and every informative.

said PootsworthIII on March 5, 2009 5:14 PM.

Adam& eve ill try it.

The history report is cool. But I think you're wrong about the hosts, they sound like they're 14.

said Baierman on March 5, 2009 8:34 PM.

hardcore history by dan carlin is a great podcast only updates monthly... kinda

said lame name on March 5, 2009 9:32 PM.

I dig these:

1.) Skeptics Guide To The Universe
2.) Smodcast (sometimes)
3.) Real Time with Bill Maher
4.) Toucher and Rich ('cause I wish I lived in Boston)

said Mikie on March 5, 2009 10:58 PM.

I'll second the SavageLove podcast. I'm also a fan of Decoder Ring Theater (hardboiled detective and pulpy adventure radio dramas) and In Our Time (the most excellent history show where 3 experts talk about all aspects of a certain idea or person in history)

said reviewstew on March 6, 2009 2:03 PM.

The Big Idea. Canadian broadcast dedicated to the art of the lecture. Some of it's pretentious but some of them are illuminating.

said E on March 6, 2009 2:34 PM.

I would also highly recommend Radio Lab and The Moth. Oh, and All Songs Considered.

said Kat on March 6, 2009 3:34 PM.

Hey - Chuck here from "Stuff You Should Know." Thanks for the shout out - we love your Web site!

said Charles on April 8, 2009 10:19 AM.

I LOVE, absolutely LOVE history, listen to "Stuff You Should Know" every week, and am female. Despite all that, I find it incredibly difficult to listen to the girls at "Stuff You Missed in History Class". It's not that I don't like female voices, I listen to "Fresh Air" and enjoy the **female** host very much. The hosts for the history podcast are just too darn hard to listen to.

said ladyroake on November 1, 2010 1:42 AM.