A Pound to Piss?
Airline-toilet-001.jpgThe economy really is bad. It's dreadful. Some might say, in the toilet. One company may be taking that phrase to literally.

Ryanair, one of the largest carriers in Europe, is toying with the idea of charging digesting passengers a quid each time they need to make a boom-boom.

Really.

Take away my sandwich and give me crappy snack mixes. Don't give me the full can of Canada Dry ginger ale. Hell, charge me 5 bones for an extra checked bag. But I'll be damned if I have to pay a George Washington make a number 1.

Piss off Ryanair...

I can't believe this idea will ever get off the ground.
pun intended.

said Baierman on March 1, 2009 10:16 AM.

I can't believe this idea will ever get off the ground.
pun intended.

said Baierman on March 1, 2009 10:17 AM.

What about the poor sucker who gets Montezuma's Revenge on his flight home..? He'd have to take out a second mortgage to pay for that..

said CindylovesScara on March 1, 2009 10:32 AM.

This plan will backfire soon. It won't take long for people to start using the sink for other than sinkly duties.

said Jimbo on March 1, 2009 10:51 AM.

In fairness Ryan Air is ridiculously cheap. A flight from Belgium to England is a fraction of the cost from what you would pay larger airlines. That said flight also takes a very short amount of time and if you went before you would not be in danger of straining yourself. Last point would be the fact that most continental European bathrooms charge for use but they usually do not for a urinal visit.

said b.jenkin on March 1, 2009 6:52 PM.

If you have to pay to use the loo, you should be able to smoke or screw as if it were a hotel room--another room you pay to use for a period of time.

said sarcastic one on March 1, 2009 11:07 PM.

Folks, you need to understand Ryan Air to understand this situation.

There flights are INSANELY cheap and usually last less than an hour. I once flew Ryan from Glasgow to Dublin. Cost? $0 . That's right - they regularly charged $0 for flights (at least they used to, it's still cheap, though). All I paid was the taxes and airport fees, plus food, etc. and you're laughing. Total cost? $75 for the flight.

Ryan is often cheaper than the bus and always cheaper than the train. They get you there quick and they they try and make money by selling you stuff on the plane. Man, I say if it keeps the price down, charge me $2 for a piss, I can hack it.

said Marion Cobretti on March 2, 2009 11:10 AM.

They tried it here in the U.S. with Skybus.

great airline...shortlived...but honestly, let me sleep for more than 5 seconds, and don't turn your poor flight attendants into QVC hosts. Every 5 minutes there was an announcement hawking some sort of product/food/etc.

And they had a rule that you could NOT bring outside food on the plane. Guess who broke that one accidentally and intentionally?

And they are the ones who made the other American airlines realize that people will pay to check bags (I didn't mind when I paid $70 roundtrip to fly--I do mind when I pay $150 or $200). I'm sorry--I like to travel with more than the shoes on my feet, so I have to pay to check a bag now. Thanks!

But Skybus had comfy seats...seats half empty...and no one to call when they decided to flee one day.

Literally and ironically a fly by night airline.

said sarcastic one on March 2, 2009 11:52 AM.

Guess what I'll be using the barf bag for...?

said Chris on March 2, 2009 12:44 PM.

Being Irish, I can tell you the reaction soon: "Blimey then, I'll just piss in me seat."

said Irish on March 2, 2009 4:56 PM.

WHAT IS NEXT? THEY WILL START CHARGING FOR THE OXYGYN WE BREATH WHILE IN FLIGHT. THESE AIRLINES SHOULD NOT START A BUSINESS THEY CANT SUPPORT RESPECTFULLY TO ITS CUSTOMERS. WHAT A SHAME. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE ART OF TRAVEL? BON VOYAGE.

said ah on March 2, 2009 8:24 PM.

Chris & Irish, two beauties in a row...

God bless the Irish.

said Johnny Wright on March 2, 2009 8:25 PM.

I forsesee a lot of people carrying on empty water bottles and "recycling" under their raincoats.

said rob ert on March 3, 2009 7:19 AM.

i don't fly anymore but i think the idea of charging period really sets people off. it used to be that way on the bus and i may be wrong but i thought L.A, airport charged to.
i'm sure they will have their of messes to clean up.

said just me on March 3, 2009 8:29 AM.

I like this idea. Maybe people will learn some respect and take better care of public restrooms - assuming they don't make a huge mess in protest.

It's so disgusting how some women can use a public restroom and leave pee ALL over the toilet seat. If you don't know how to use a toilet, or at least - if you can't clean up after yourself after squatting and making a mess, stop using public restrooms and go home to use the restroom.

said Melody on March 3, 2009 2:52 PM.

I'd probably drink that ginger ale and put it back in the can when I was done. The flight attendant would have to take it, right?

said arcesy on March 4, 2009 7:10 AM.

It could be worse! In 1981 I was on my way to Ft.Sill Oklahoma for basic training.I had a 7 hour layover in Dallas where I spent in the bar drinking a few frosty mugs of beer.THEN they put me on a 45 minute commuter flight with NO bathroom! In minutes after take off I had to GO!Luckily it was 3 a.m. and dark on the plane and everyone but the pilot was sleeping.I pissed on the floor of that plane 3 times before we landed!What was I supposed to do? Piss my pants? I don't think so! And what if you don't have any cash?Are these pay toilets going to to take debit cards?When people start whizzing in nooks and cranny's or just on the floors on the planes they might re-think this!If they are smart they will just raise the ticket price $1 and not tell anyone what it is for!!

said Full Bladder on March 4, 2009 8:32 AM.

I think this idea was "in the tank" before it began. They don't have a pot to piss in.

said Mike K on March 4, 2009 8:58 AM.

how stipid is this!!!
just crap in the isle

said Ellen Bridges on March 4, 2009 10:11 AM.

What if I want to masturbate in the bathroom, would I still have to pay?

said Jibby on March 4, 2009 10:18 AM.

Someone in the states foolishly died during a radio contest called "hold your wee for a wii"
I wonder when someone will "pass waiting to piss!"

what If I only had a shilling? would they let me have a empty pint to "loose my willy into!"

said picc on March 4, 2009 4:59 PM.