Top Ten Songs to Have Sex To
frenchhorn_ybnby.jpg
The wine bottles have been emptied, the warm breeze off the ocean runs through her hair causing her to tuck the wayward strands behind her ear. Through the dancing glow of the candles, and the way she's kissing your neck ... repeatedly, you know that tonight is going to be a good one. In order to enhance the mood, you randomly punch a button on your iPod, which brings up "Unskinny Bop" by Poison, ruins the mood, and causes your date to lose all interest. No sex tonight. No crushing of that ass. Instead, you and Bret Michaels are re-living the 80s, while your girl is putting her clothes back on and heading out the door.

We don't want this to happen to you. So, we've put together a list of some of the 10 best songs to have sex make love to. These have all been tested - at great length - by yours truly and have passed the test.

10. Banana Wind, Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett - Banana Wind - Banana Wind
Fear not, non-parrottheads, this Buffett original has none of his standard warbling about cheeseburgers, volcanoes, fish, or boats. In fact, it has no warbling at all. It's straight instrumental and is great at setting a tropical mood. Steel drums, gentle piano, and rolling guitars will make your significant other think she's not getting undressed in an Urban Outfitters decorated studio in the Village, but on a Caribbean beach under moonlight.

When to Use It: Not on a first date, unless you've both discussed your love of either Jimmy Buffett or the tropics. It's best to throw this tune on in the beginning to middle of your love making session. It might be too easy going for the full-on (and, let's be honest, completely impersonal) jack-hammering you might be throwing down toward the end of it all.

Note: This track came off a not-so-well-known Buffett album, so if you want to score some major points with a die-hard fan, this is sure to get them in the mood.

9. #34, The Dave Matthews Band
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming - #34
John Cusack starred in a film called Better Off Dead in the 80's, which featured a scene of him playing saxophone in a fast food joint. A friend of mine in high school said this song sounded a lot like the song Cusack played, which killed the song for me. Luckily, I found redemption after discovering this song might be the ultimate aphrodisiac to women. Again, there are no lyrics, so non-Dave types can enjoy it too.

When to Use It: If you're quick in bed, and can only laugh one song, this is the one to use. It speeds up in the last 30 seconds and if you can time it just right, your partner will think you're so good that you can manipulate sound and time through orgasm. For those of us who like to take more than 4:58 to make sweet sweet love, use this in the beginning of the night to not get caught of guard with the blaring saxophone at the end of the song.

8. Wasis Diop, Everything
Wasis Diop - The Thomas Crown Affair (Music from the MGM Motion Picture) - Everything
If you've ever seen the remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair, you're sure to remember this song setting the scene for Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo's copulation. Wasis, who is Senegalese, sings the song in a language I don't understand, which is to say ... not English. So if you're worried about getting distracted by singing along to a song, you won't run into that problem here. Also, your partner will think you're ridiculously cultured if you put this on.

When to Use It: Early. Aside from earning an exotic nod from your partner, she (or he) will think you discovered this strange artist during one of your trips through Africa and not from a late-90's blockbuster movie.

Note: The song is a duet and I'm not a fan of the woman's voice and get distracted with her lyrics. You might want to do a subtle fade-out when she starts in.

7. Into the Mystic, Van Morrison
Van Morrison - Moondance - Into the Mystic
Uh... have you heard this song? Seriously, take my word for it on this one. It's Van Morrison at his best.

When to Use It: There's a changing dynamic throughout the song, but this is a good mid-way song. And if you're so inclined, try sticking to the song's rhythm. You'll see, and you can thank me later.

6. In Time, Emily Hurd
Emily Hurd - Lines - In Time
There has never been a better foreplay song that Ms. Hurd's innocent and vulnerable "In Time". There are times when this song will come on while I'm on the subway or walking to work, and I'll get lost. Five missed stops or three avenue blocks later and I can only blame her for writing an amazingly passionate song.

When to Use It: At the very beginning. The piano and cello are enough to set the mood, but Emily's voice and lyrics will make your partner see you as the caring and sensitive person you are (or are attempting to be.)

Note: Do not have sex on the subway.

5. Evening Falls, Enya
Enya - Watermark - Evening Falls..
I was hesitant to include anything by Enya on this list as it's such a cop-out. But if you had to choose one Enya song to play, make it "Evening Falls".

When to Use It: Try throwing this on post-coitus. It's a great cool down song.

Note: It is Enya, so you might get some snickers from your partner.

4. Could it Be Another Change, The Samples
The Samples - The Samples - Could It Be Another Change
If it's been suggested that you put on a Phish album, or Led Zepplin IV, take a different route and throw on this tune by The Samples. It's quick paced, but light and simple.

When to Use It: This is the odd song that can be used at almost any point in the night, save for just after the act. (Carefully attention to the lyrics and you'll realize that "Why can't you just feel the way I do?" might not be the best line if you fail to deliver the good.)

3. Symphony No 7 in A Major Op. 92: II. Allegretto, Beethoven
Bernard Haitink & London Symphony Orchestra - Beethoven: Symphony No 7 & Triple Concerto - Symphony No 7 in A major, Op. 92: II. Allegretto
My personal favorite of all of Beethoven's works, the second movement of his seventh symphony is outstanding in its complexity. Dark, lavish, and profound ... this covers every single emotion possible. It may not be the cheeriest piece to put on while you're getting it on, but it'll make you seem sophisticated. And if you can time your movements to the changing tempos and dynamics of the song, you'll definitely be in for a wild night.

When to Use It: If you're lucky enough to be with a cougar, they'll appreciate your sophistication. Try it with them. Or, you know, if you're with a classy chick/dude.

Note: Seriously, this thing gets very loud and very quite. Listen to the song before hand so you aren't caught off guard by a rapid crescendo. We wouldn't want you to suffer and ill-timed "mishaps".

2. What if You, Joshua Radin
Joshua Radin - We Were Here - What If You
Joshua Radin writes the kind of music that most women wish their men could write. Sensitive and simple, he hits all the right notes. So while you might not be musically inclined, she (or, again, he or whatever you're into) will appreciate your caring and appreciation of emotion.

When to Use It: The fact of the matter is, you could put on a whole album of Radin's and you'd be fine for the night. But try using this one from the middle toward the end and watch the magic happen.

1. Chan Chan, The Buena Vista Social Club
Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan
There's a reason I put this one in first place. It deserves to be here. No other song in the history of music is a better song to have sex to. It's exotic, it's in another language, and there's a sultry trumpet solo at the end. I'm doing you a favor here. I'm giving you the keys to the castle. This is the must-have song for any night of passionate sex. Your world will change. Trust me.

When to Use It: First. Play this one first. No matter what.

Note: I don't speak Spanish and I'm not sure what they're singing about. But, in truth, they could be singing raping my father and I'd still want to mess around with this song in the background.

Just when I was starting to think Echowood might not be gay... He has to go with Enya?

No "Between the Sheets" by the Isley Brothers? Nothing even remotely smelling of some good old fashioned Barry White/Lou Rawls R&B? No R. Kelly?

No NIN doing "Closer"? ("I wanna f*** you like an animal")

Jimmy Buffet and Dave Matthews? Are you having sex, or are you waiting at the dentists office? Next thing you'll be telling me that there's lace pillows everywhere and a country cute style comforter involved.

Fail. Epicho Fail.

said LostInDaJungle on February 16, 2009 4:37 PM.

L.I.D.J.- I'm not going on "good music" I'm going with what works. What seals the deal. And I'm trying to point out that there's other music besides Marvin Gaye to get your freak on to.

And you really haven't lived until you've gotten busy on some frilly sheets while listening to Sade. Just puttin' it out there.

said Echowood on February 16, 2009 4:57 PM.

The entire Eric Clapton RUSH movie soundtrack.

said ab on February 16, 2009 5:08 PM.

Ever heard of Djavan? Don't understand a word in the songs (he's Brazilian), but the music seems appropriate...

said TeaFizz on February 16, 2009 5:19 PM.

LostinDaJungle: OMG, do you even know any gay people? Enya? No, thanks. ;)

I once had sex to PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love album two times through. Much better than anything on this list. Sorry, Echowwod. There's no accounting for taste.

said Joe on February 16, 2009 5:24 PM.

It's cliched but Roxy Music's Avalon works. (Of course she might think your stuck in the 80's at this point but let's not quibble.)

For a more direct route try - Let's Get Butt Naked and Fuck by the incomparable Ice - T.

said E on February 16, 2009 5:37 PM.

OK, youngun's ...

Free Bird -the 15 minute version
Dazed and Confused -the 28 minute version
Slow Ride -the 8 minute version

These are songs that start show and build to an energetic climax. They don't do songs like that anymore.

said Miss Cellania on February 16, 2009 5:43 PM.

What, no Yakkity Sax?

said Don't Swayze Bro on February 16, 2009 5:52 PM.

Sweet Georgia Brown
Whoops There Goes Another Rubber Tree Plant
Whomp There It Is
99 Luftballoons

said E on February 16, 2009 6:17 PM.

Us and Them from Dark Side of the Moon always worked as setup music for me. I could always rely on a Zeppelin medley of The Rain Song, Since I've Been Loving You, What Is And What Should Never Be and Dazed And Confused to always close the deal.

said Tim on February 16, 2009 6:24 PM.

Tim...wow--low self esteem thinking it was only the music closing the deal--not your sparkling personality or your cute chattery monkey grin?

said sarcastic one on February 16, 2009 7:17 PM.

Guns n' roses power ballads always worked for me...

Don't Cry, Sweet Child,

And the Deal Sealer: November rain.

Either that or Smoke alot of pot and put on the uncut version of inna gadda da vida

said Sheriff Pablo on February 16, 2009 7:32 PM.

ohhhh I have fond memories of chan chan... echowood you don't know how apt this choice is for the category. Loosely and briefly translated there is a man who is a traveling salesman in the mountains. Traveling the winding roads with his burro he is thinking of the round firmness of his woman and can't wait to get home.

said lame name on February 16, 2009 8:44 PM.

lulz @ Yakkity Sax

said Evangeline on February 16, 2009 9:51 PM.

Chick/dude? What the hell kind of sex are you recommending with what the hell kind of partner while listening to what the hell kind of music?

said Greg VA on February 16, 2009 10:04 PM.

Ack!!! folks come on!!! I realize that this one is painfully obvious..but Enigma!
Principles of lust? That whole album (the name eludes me at the moment) was MADE for gettin' down. Slow, sultry, good beat.

said stormbringerii on February 17, 2009 12:35 AM.

I've used the Brazilian Girls' first album. That, and the montage fight song from the Karate Kid.

You're the best, around, and nothings gonna ever keep you dooooooowwwwwn!

said Your Mom's New Boyfriend on February 17, 2009 1:13 AM.

Damn Echo... I was perusing my CDs to see if I could find one of my SFF* compilations. I wanted to see if still I had some of them to put their song lists on a forum posting, asking for the L77 to make out their compilation too.

*[Years ago I had this idea: always carry a CD with a "Songs for 'Effin'" playlist, so if I, all of a sudden, got caught in a subtle chance of having a good night, I already had the songs to bring the mojo up.]

I'd say Mr Barry White was an constant, also Marvin Gaye. But I used to add some Radiohead, Cake, Pink Floyd (Us and Them works fine Tim, also Wish You Were Here), Black Crowes, Extreme (More than Words was a champ!), Iron Maiden (Wasting Love) and some other pop-rock-ballads. Even Metallica, with Mamma Said and Call of Ktulu...
What helped the most is that not all the girls I dated knew English, so I didn't need to worry about the lyrics as long as the song had the right mood.

Some of the SFF mix CDs were built to bring the mood in the 2 first songs--for the foreplays--, the next 3 were chosen to bring some rhythm to the act itself, and the remaining songs usually were songs that helped to bring good memories that could make the girl wish that night to never end. Also they could be used as a warming to keep on the game running.

I don't like Enya, but I have to say that some of her songs are strong mood creators. Only Time and Orenoco Flow are the ones I've recorded the most on my mix CDs.

Also I had to build up lists that could help me in every kind of girl I could end up with. Some mix CDs included Pearl Jam, Nirvana and alt. bands to keep up the heat with the alternative girls; some others included even classic music, if I ended up sleeping with a more cultural girl. But I had a mix CD that had in its repertoire Sir Elton John, Mr. Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra, some Elvis The Pelvis ballads, Burt Bacharach, Tom Jones, Tony Bennet and even Charles Aznavour, to help me up with the cougars. They love the oldies-goldies...

If I'm going to put it on paper, I may have done at least 20 different compilations. Some mix CDs were so frigging good, so bringing mood, the girls asked me to leave it with them when I was going home in the morning, to keep alive their sweet memories of that night.

@TeaFizz: Great choice! Djavan is, in my opinion, one of the Top 5 Best Brazilian Singers. He has written the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard. I can translate the lyrics for you later, but some expressions are hard to put right in other language.

said Leonardo Carvalho on February 17, 2009 7:45 AM.

If you haven't comitted an act of sodomy while the Barney song is playing, then you don't fully appreciate it's subtle message.

said Jeff on February 17, 2009 8:39 AM.

"Reach up high,
And bend down low,
Up and down can be fun you know."

Is that you're talking about?

said Leonardo Carvalho on February 17, 2009 9:13 AM.

I have to say that when I first read this article, I fully expected that it would culminate in a discussion about forking Barney in the arse.

We're so predictable.

Keep up the great work, Echo!

said Tim on February 17, 2009 9:56 AM.

Angel of Death - Slayer

Ace of Spades - Motorhead

Anything by Danny Elfman

Mr. Bungle's first album

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Cooking by the Book, from Lazytown

said Chad on February 17, 2009 8:10 PM.

I like Chad's answers, but throw in some obscure industrial/noise stuff like Merzbow or Einsturzende Neubauten for more comedic effect. :)

said DJ Maniak on February 17, 2009 9:08 PM.

check this one out:

Lovage - Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By

something about the combination of beats from Dan the Automator, the raspy-rapist sounding voice of Mike Patton and the beautiful voice of Jennifer Charles that just works.

I heard they're working on a second Lovage album too...wouldn't be surprised if that one did the job also.

said donthitme on February 17, 2009 9:45 PM.

I forgot all about Lovage!
Definitely one of many Mike Patton projects that totally took me by surprise.
Great album and certainly root-worthy.

said Chad on February 17, 2009 10:09 PM.

Leo, thanks for the offer, but I think I kinda like the idea of not knowing exactly what he's talking about.

Besides, I've historically been more partial to the music/melody of a song rather than the lyrics. As a matter of fact, I've ended up liking songs a lot less after finding out the lyrics, so I usually don't pay much attention to them even if I can understand them.

Zero 7 is another group I think is appropriate here:

And I've always liked Ministry of Sound's Chillout albums, too.

said TeaFizz on February 17, 2009 11:27 PM.

TewaFizz, it's like you're reading my mind... I was thinking about it yesterday and came to a conclusion that I could not translate his songs without spoiling the meaning.

Just keep in mind: he writes the best love lyrics you can imagine. And sometimes he does it using daily expressions that have nothing to do with love songs, turning them into a lovely message.

said Leonardo Carvalho on February 18, 2009 9:18 AM.

The nineties called: they want your playlist back.

Aaagggh! It's all so WHITE, all so middle of the road, all so 10-plus years ago.
I suppose some middle aged white persons, who never had any musical taste of their own, might feel 'young' again for a moment. But be shure to drink a lot first, to turn off the lights and to slip some GHB in those drinks too.

None of this would work on my dates. Fortunately!

said Dhr. DeLuxe on February 18, 2009 11:00 AM.

DeLuxe, then register and post your own list on the forums...or don't register and post it here....

but keeping us all in the dark while you hold the key to the secrets of seduction? that's not very neighborly.....

said sarcastic one on February 18, 2009 11:18 AM.

Yes DeLuxe... let us all know THE playlist that makes your dates boil.

said Leonardo Carvalho on February 18, 2009 11:23 AM.

Sarcky,

I was about to post a similar request. I simply MUST know ...

Not that my playlist was from the nineties, or even the eighties for that matter.

said Tim on February 18, 2009 11:26 AM.

All I know is that I don't even need a playlist...unless moaning and sighing counts as background music....

said sarcastic one on February 18, 2009 11:29 AM.

I'm looking forward to an advance copy of "Sarcky's Greatest Hits - Volume One".

said Tim on February 18, 2009 11:44 AM.

I'd buy it! Gotta support my fellow PFC member!

said Vicky on February 18, 2009 12:07 PM.

there's probably a bootleg copy out there somewhere...some places I've lived have had some pretty thin walls...
I'm guessing my neighbors would have wanted to make some money off of the fact that they had to listen to my 'soundtrack'....

said sarcastic one on February 18, 2009 12:31 PM.

echo I downloaded a bunch of the tunes and tried them out with the wife last night. she was definitely impressed. the music might not fit the taste of everyone but I promise it works.

said kibr on February 18, 2009 1:04 PM.

I now picture Sarcky as Ms. "Lassie" Honeywell.

said Tim on February 18, 2009 1:19 PM.

kibr - I urge you to proceed with caution. Echo is a master at this ... and has quite possibly published a concoction of melodious wizardry that once unleashed into the general public, will result in a rush of America's young ladies towards the Upper West Side.

If you're not careful, your young wife may end up leading that parade. Is she currently working on an 'Echowood or Bust' banner?

We have suspected that his poor girlfriend has been brainwashed for quite some time. For her, there is no hope of recovery.

Please help us to save America's young ladies by taking any advice of romance published by our beloved paralyzing parasitic paramour under careful advisement. Some of these young ladies have fathers with limited recourse due to existing legal restrainment.

said Tim on February 18, 2009 2:07 PM.

Tim - It's called "bro code" and you just broke it.

said Echowood on February 18, 2009 2:58 PM.

Don't talk to me about "bro code". I want my mother back.

said Tim on February 18, 2009 3:15 PM.

She's a classy lady ... all I'm sayin'.

said Echowood on February 18, 2009 6:03 PM.

psycho killer by talking heads
just kidding

said cat on February 24, 2009 1:44 AM.

I have always found these lists to be interesting because it tells you a lot about a person between the sheets and I think sometimes people hold stuff back out of fear of being considered weird or twisted. I personally have to listen to full albums while having sex because when the artist changes my mood changes which creates a very schizophrenic sexual experience.
My top 5 list of bands to listen to while having sex has to be:
1) The Misfits
2) Slayer
3) Massive Attack
4) Flaming Lips
5) The Go! Team
The above list is not a joke. It is an absolute blast to have sex to this stuff because inhibitions are thrown right out the window.

said Dan on March 2, 2009 1:27 AM.

dan .. ego tripping at the gates of hell would certainly be an interesting time between the sheets ... thank you for that ...

slow and sultry here is my list

me I'm not void mix nine inch nails

crash into you dave matthews band

you can leave your hat on joe cocker

work kelly rowland (freemasons arabic remix)

is this real lisa hall

drive melissa ferrick

feelin love paula cole

(youtube is not the most romantic place to find visuals so just close your eyes and listen ... )

said alex on March 2, 2009 11:13 AM.

Colin Hay - I'll leave The Light On. Have never actually done it to this song owing to conservative hubby, but whenever it pops up on the iPod, it just makes me think...Gosh, that would be a good song to, well, you know. Lyrics are more about drifting apart than getting it on, (but really, who should be listening that closely at that point, anyways). There's just something about Colin's voice and his guitar strumming and humming and thrumming away underneath that engenders the nicest of shivers.......

said Jen on March 7, 2009 10:46 AM.

anyone who has dave matthews band on a sex playlist deserves to never ever get laid ever.

this is possibly the most BORING playlist of sex music ever. unless you are 45. in which case, play away.

said missin on March 10, 2009 5:58 AM.

2 words KEITH SWEAT. Check him out on youtube.com

said Judy on March 14, 2009 8:57 PM.

I found that Loreena McKennitt's "The Book of Secrets" works quite well, as does Depeche Mode's "Violator" of all things.

said Oliver Clozoff on March 26, 2009 8:50 PM.

Amen on enigma, heard le roi est mort the other day playing at a mall and immediatly wondered why they were playing music to screw to.

said howie on March 28, 2009 11:40 AM.

Some great suggestions already, but I'd be remiss not to add some relatively well known (but overlooked) tracks and bands that just popped into my head while reading some other responses.

PJ Harvey: For a dirty, unhinged night. Tracks like One Time Too Many have led me into temptation more than once. Will. Not. Make. Obvious. Joke. About. Song. Title.

Related to Fogthat (as some have mentioned before), some AC/DC tracks have resulted in some of the wildest, most fun experiences ever - think You Shook Me All Night Long. Not great for romance, but fantastic for a little fun loving play.

Massive Attack - Already mentioned, but for non-believers, Inertia Creeps (The primitive beat and sexy lyrics) and Angel (the inexorable build and release) will set a holds-barred mood.

Air - (Anything, really. No... REALLY)
Throwing Muses - Snake, But a lot of Kristen Hersh's solo stuff would also fit the bill.
The Cure - Closedown
The Doors
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Portishead (Just pick a CD, Any CD)
Mazzy Star : Fade Into You and Be My Angel. A friend of mine used to love Rhymes of an Hour - but it's all about personal taste and the moment, I guess.

said Nikkers on April 10, 2009 8:34 AM.

Matt Nathanson- Come on get higher
Matt Nathanson- Pretty the world
Matt Nathanson- To the beat of our noisy hearts
Hooters- And We Danced

Great makeout songs, possibly great sex songs too.

said Nathan on June 6, 2009 11:38 PM.

I think you left out a great one, "Don't Forget Me" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

said Steve on July 17, 2009 6:02 PM.

Ummm.... have none of you ever heard a Maxwell album ???

said beautifuldizazter on July 28, 2009 10:56 PM.

doin it-LL cool J
Bump n Grind- R kelly
Between the sheets- Isley brothers

said Alex on August 10, 2009 2:37 PM.

most all of these are nice suggestions.

my favorite is: stevie ray vaughns version of, little wing. i've found it works best if you can follow the highs and lows while giving mouth pleasures. if you can master that one, your partner will be so out of breath that it won't matter whats playing next.

i'm just sayin.

said phatlard on August 16, 2009 3:59 AM.

great, I will never be able to listen to these songs again without thinking of Echowood churnin' the butter. Not pleasant.

said Evangeline on December 28, 2009 7:04 PM.

My woman's been in Antarctica for 6weeks and gets back tomorrow. I've been working on a playlist all day. Looking at lists like this, it's funny; the songs that keep turning up don't really do it for me. It's all very slow & romantic or fast & heavy or just nasty dirty, lyrically. Anyway, my favorites from today's list follow:
Snakes & Ladders by Basia Bulat - just discovered her last week...this song feels perfect for getting lost in skin.
Both Hands by Ani DiFranco - use em...both of em
Giving him something he can feel by En Vogue - watch the video, you'll get it.
Buena & Super Sex by Morphine - Morphine's uber-bassy sound is the zone.
Deep by Pearl Jam - can you touch the bottom?

said Abe on January 30, 2010 11:34 PM.

Let me just say this. I just got each and every one of these songs. Played together, this is the most sleep inducing set of "making love" music I have ever heard. I don't know who this would work for, but no girl I've ever been with. It reminds me of music I would've tried in high school, when I had no clue what did it for women.

said Ryan on July 16, 2010 9:34 AM.