McDonalds or Starbucks?

stardonalds.jpg

The Pew Research Center just completed a study about where Americans would like to live and what sort of lifestyle they would like to have. As part of that study they asked this simple question.
Would you rather live in a community with a McDonald's or a Starbucks?

McDonald's won, but not by much: 43 percent to 35 percent. I found this surprising. I'd have expected McD's to win by more given it's history and place in American culture. The fact that it didn't speaks to the power of the Starbucks brand and proof that (my assumption) people think having a Starbucks in their town makes the town seem more upscale.

Anyway, I thought we'd pose the question to again to see what our readers think.
(Sorry, there's only 2 options here. So if you detest both franchises or prefer something else, you're out of luck.)

I'll post the results Monday.

Can I select "none of the above"?

said Strouthes on February 20, 2009 10:44 AM.

IS there a place with no McDonalds?

said Miss Cellania on February 20, 2009 11:27 AM.

I mean honestly. I live in East Podunk, Kentucky, and we have THREE of them.

said Miss Cellania on February 20, 2009 11:27 AM.

Burlington, VT used to be the only state capital w/o a McD. Don't know if that's still the case (or if it ever was, maybe it was hype).

I worked in a building that had a Starbucks in it. There was also one on the NE corner of that block, and the SW corner of the block. Like the coffee fine but come on.

said E on February 20, 2009 12:15 PM.

You tell'em Strouthes!

I don't want either of these places in my eutopia.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mr. hippy tree hugger, but Starbucks is just way too over-priced, and McDonalds is just plain bad for you. I'd go for a nice farmers market and a coffee shop with reasonable prices.

said Jimbo on February 20, 2009 1:06 PM.

I think I made my choice for this when I moved to Seattle. Let me elaborate.

Between my place in Capitol Hill and my folks's place downtown, which is about an hour on foot, there are more than seven Starbucks's I can think of. Here, there's one down the block and one in the grocery store across the street from that, one across from my school and several in the mall district. And another one across the street from my parent's place. This is along with several other types of coffee shop, chain and not.

On that walk, there is only one McDonalds I can think of.

said Eddy on February 20, 2009 1:20 PM.

Wow, you people are pretentious. So many people would rather have star bucks.

McDonald's may be unhealthy, but its one of those guilty pleasures. When you're drunk, you no longer care, and need some cheap, greasy, and open late.

said kbk on February 20, 2009 1:32 PM.

That's kinda insane Eddy.

But I think Union Square here in NYC beats it. There's 4 Starbucks, one on every side of the square.
There's a stand alone stores on the East & West sides.
A location inside Barnes & Noble on the North Side and a place that serves Starbucks coffee (not sure if it's official a store) in Virgin Records on the South side.

McD's has just one store. Next to the Starbucks on the West side.

said Baierman on February 20, 2009 1:58 PM.

Why is there no "krispy kreme" option?

said Scaramouch on February 20, 2009 1:59 PM.

Yeah, I would imagine NYC would be worse. That's pretty ridiculous.

said Eddy on February 20, 2009 2:20 PM.

Well, there's no In-n-Out burger, WaffleHouse, Coffee Tea & Beanery or Dairy Queen option either.

I wanted this poll to reflect the 2 choices from the Pew research. That's all.

said Baierman on February 20, 2009 3:19 PM.

"So if you detest both franchises or prefer something else, you're out of luck."

Because 35% plus 42% is obviously 100%???

said strathmeyer on February 22, 2009 4:46 PM.