What Single Soundbite Best Sums up Bush's Presidency?

I know, I know -- you've read your Marshall McLuhan and Neil Postman and think it's a travesty that our national political discourse has been reduced to a series of 30-second soundbites, a disturbing trend that can be traced back to the televised Nixon/Kennedy debates, or possibly even the invention of the telegraph.

But goddamn, some of them soundbites sure have been tasty. And over the last eight years, we've been treated to a veritable all-you-can-eat buffet of sweet, sweet idiocy, thanks to George W. Bush. And yes, I realize it's perhaps unfair to sum up eight whole years of someone's job performance in just ONE out-of-context soundbite...but if you HAD to, which one would you say best sums up Georgie Boy's tenure?

For me, it'd be this one from last spring, as Bush was awaiting the arrival of Republican presidential nominee John McCain. With all eyes on him, and without a pre-vetted script on his teleprompter, George decides to just shuck and jive as our nation goes down the shitter. (Say what you will about Nero -- at least he had the decency to take a few fiddle lessons before he watched Rome burn.)

Tell us about your favorite Bush soundbite ever, or leave a link to it below.

Whew. Guess I'll go with - "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test. "

said E on January 19, 2009 11:24 AM.

Mine would have to be:
"Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Well-intentioned, perhaps, but just so poorly executed.

said TeaFizz on January 19, 2009 11:59 AM.

He ALSO promised no new taxis, but I have seen PLENTY

said Julian Meteor on January 19, 2009 12:05 PM.

Julian, you're referring to George Sr.

But thanks for playing...

said sarcastic one on January 19, 2009 12:16 PM.

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."

that or when he waved at stevie wonder from across the room.

said Sheriff Pablo on January 19, 2009 12:55 PM.

This is a great montage. I take no credit.

said Jimbo on January 19, 2009 12:58 PM.

The mission accomplished thing. Jez. The whole flight suite, flying the plane, etc. You wanted to say "congrats" to the dude but the way it was done just screamed disaster is coming.

said Baierman on January 19, 2009 1:00 PM.

Bman, that was a little like dunking your coach with gatorade after winning the first game of the playoffs.

said E on January 19, 2009 1:05 PM.

While the main part of this contains no words, I think it best sums up the presidency of the worst ever to hold the seat:

Just that rube expression of "huh" says it all.

said JediJeff on January 19, 2009 1:31 PM.

Damn, these are ALL so good.

TeaFizz, whenever I hear that "won't get fooled" one, at the end I hear Roger Daltrey's "YEEEEEAAAAAAH!" and I see the opening montage to CSI Miami in my head. (Been meaning to see a doctor about it, actually.)

And why the refrain of "Practice Their Love" was never turned into a plaintive country ballad, I'll never know.

And the "trapped in China" thing is classic, too.

Actually, so many of Bush's gaffes just seem like scenes from a trailer for a Touchstone Pictures movie, circa 1990, in which a frat boy wakes up after a keg party to realize he's suddenly the President of the United States, and the only way he can save the day is by teaching the rest of his cabinet to be "cool," all to the beat of C+C Music Factory's "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)."

If only it weren't for all those dead soldiers, Iraqis and Afghanis, the movie would probably be pretty hilarious.

said Jeem on January 19, 2009 4:09 PM.

Jeem, that does sound like a fun movie.

'Practice their love.' What is it he thinks gynocologists do anyway? Dr. Love, starring George Clooney.

said E on January 19, 2009 4:19 PM.

Pow! Another $100M movie idea! I bet we can get KISS's "Calling Dr. Love" for the trailer, too.

said Jeem on January 19, 2009 4:29 PM.

Clooney as a gyno....hmmmm....

nothing will wipe this smile off my face now...

thanks boys!!!

said sarcastic one on January 19, 2009 5:14 PM.

I know it is fashionable to make fun of President Bush and the preferred sport of liberals. I'm sure Obama, when caught without a telepromptor and a canned answer, will provide us with plenty of Candid Camera worthy moments. Heck, our soon-to-be VP Biden has already got enough gaffes under his belt to have his very own greatest hits reel. Why just today he provided us with an addition to his collection of foot-in-mouth moments.

said Matt on January 19, 2009 8:36 PM.

I'm sure Obama will have a few gaffes along the way, but seeing as how he's probably written more books than W. has read, and actually knows the difference between subject pronouns and object pronouns, I seriously doubt they will occur with the frequency or egregiousness we've experienced for the last eight years.

And that kinda makes me sad, in a way....

said Jeem on January 19, 2009 9:18 PM.

I don't doubt Obama's going to fuck up his fair share. I'm not kissing his ass. I don't claim he's perfect.

I was wishing Bush well 8 years ago. IMHO He sucked. Deficit. War... Ill give him credit he did promote aids treatment in Africa.

I'm glad Bush is gone. Hope he enjoys his retirement. Take Rove with you. God bless the 22n'd amendment.

I don't want to be a hater, but too fucking bad. I've had 8 years. I'm gonna point out Bush's shortcomings this week. I'll move on tomorrow.

If he was just slightly worse or I was paranoid I'd be wondering if he wasn't some Illuminati plant or some shit.

Goodbye Bush.

said E on January 19, 2009 10:09 PM.

YOu're ALL whingeing about him ,but why on EARTH did you re-elect him after his FIRST stint in the early 90s?

said Julian Meteor on January 20, 2009 10:56 AM.

I didn't.

said sarcastic one on January 20, 2009 11:43 AM.

Julian, are you doing a running gag in which you keep confusing George W. Bush with his daddy? (Or are you actually just confused?)

Either way, I am entertained.

said Jeem on January 20, 2009 3:13 PM.

Jeem, that's to be expected when you are brought up with one family in charge as with the royals...
alex and Scara are not as easily misled, but they live in the US...

said sarcastic one on January 20, 2009 3:16 PM.