« 3:18 PM
Naked Alone and Cold
butt_vail_ybnby.jpg
Skiers should be wary of broken bones, random bear attacks, and where they're going to get tacos after a long day on the slopes. So when something else entirely happens, it makes me wonder if we're worrying about the right things. Never have I thought there was a chance I could be hanging upside down, pantless, from a chairlift. Such was the case for an unlucky skier at Vail this past weekend. According to the Smoking Gun:
The January 1 mishap apparently occurred after the male skier, 48, and a child boarded a high-speed lift in Vail's Blue Sky Basin. It appears that the chairlift's fold-down seat was somehow not in the lowered position, which caused the man to partially fall through the resulting gap. His right ski got jammed in the ascending chairlift, and that kept him upended since his boot never dislodged from its binding.

God that's funny. Though I bet he didn't think so.

said E on January 6, 2009 3:38 PM.

That picture is an apt metaphor for the economy.

said E on January 6, 2009 7:49 PM.

Man... I thought no one around there had a camera... oh shame...

Okay folks, now you've seen my 'inner beauty'...

said Leonardo Carvalho on January 6, 2009 8:07 PM.

Leo--word of advice...bib overalls......

said sarcastic one on January 6, 2009 8:14 PM.

Damn... Next time I'll be wearing one... I had enough of people saying "hey man, have you seen a crack in the ice?"

said Leonardo Carvalho on January 6, 2009 8:23 PM.

I lived in Vail for 14 years, and this is definitely a first...

said Myron Sternak on January 6, 2009 9:03 PM.

With some pictures, the story is really told between the lines.

For example, in this candid shot, most people see a poor sole hanging upside down from a skilift with has ass exposed. But, a closer inspection reveals:

1) A dude that shaves his ass.
2) Another dude in a yellow helmet that looks entirely too comfortable crouching behind the shorn ass of a naked man.
3) A kid that is experiencing his last few hours in the custody of his father.
4) A really smart dude in a yellow jacket.
5) A brand new pair of clean underwear, or several members of a blind ski patrol unit. (This one is pending further data.)
6) An old dude in a blue jacket that keeps his mittens clipped to his winter jacket like I did when I was in Kindergarten.

What a great pic!

said Tim on January 6, 2009 11:22 PM.

You know why I really feel sorry for this guy?
Those kids were laughing so hard, they peed their pants - all over him.

said Baierman on January 6, 2009 11:47 PM.

The dude was hanging that way (no pun intended) for like 15 minutes. The indignity! Plus the cold, and the shrinkage.

Tim you meant soul I think, not sole. Also, you didn't need to be checking out his ass so much. Then again, if there was a time for a hairy ass, that was it.

said E on January 7, 2009 12:01 AM.

You think he pulled his pants up and got back in line?

said E on January 7, 2009 12:01 AM.

Also, unless this guy was really self restrained, I'm guessing the word 'dammit!' escaped from his mouth. It's probably hard to be composed when you're hanging upside down with your pants off in front of a big ole lift line.

said E on January 7, 2009 12:05 AM.

That guy sure can ski his pants off!

said Rico Sosa on January 7, 2009 3:14 PM.