10 great moments in beer history

oldaydshy.jpg

December 5, 1933 was a great day in American history.
It was the day Congress ratified the 21st amendment and ended the Noble Experiment, Prohibition.

So to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the freedom to drink,
we present 10 great moments in the history of beer.

The word beer comes from the Latin word 'bibere' meaning 'to drink'.
The Greek goddess of agriculture, Ceres, is the root of the Spanish word for beer, cerveza.
Beer is the world's oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage in the world.

Great Moment 1: Beer Discovered!
Alulu_Tablet.jpg
6 Century Mesopotamia: Ancient Samarians are the first civilized culture (that we know) to brew beer.
They called it a "Divine Drink" and offered it to their gods.
They were very smart.

Great Moment 2: Spaten!
Spaten-s.jpg
1363: SPATEN-FRANZISKANER Brewery opens in Germany.
The "modern- day" brewing tradition in Munich began in 1807.

Great Moment 3: It's good for you!
guinnessbee.jpg
May 1769: Guinness exports the first 6 1/2 barrels of their soon to be legendary Stout.
The beer drinkers world would never be the same again.

Great Moment 4: Big Break Through
hydrometer.jpg
1770: Hydrometer invented: The hydrometer transformed how beer was brewed. Before its introduction beers were brewed from a single malt: brown beers from brown malt, amber beers from amber malt, pale beers from pale malt.
Using the hydrometer, brewers could calculate the yield from different malts.
Way to go beer science!

Great Moment 5: Oktober is Munich
steincarry.jpg
October 1810: The original "Oktoberfest" occurred in Munich. It began to commemorae the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. (November 1993: Baierman enters Hofbräu brewery for first time. Exits with 3 large steins and 2 medium steins hidden in his baggy jeans.)

Great Moment 6: Historic brewery opens
yuenling.jpg
1829: David G. Yuengling opens a brewery in Pottsville, PA.
Today it's the oldest operating brewery in the United States.

Great Moment 7: Horse become Icon
clydesda.jpg
April 7, 1933: The Budweiser Clydesdales were first introduced to celebrate the repeal of Prohibition.
They proceeded to carry the first case of post-Prohibition beer from the St. Louis brewery in a special journey down Pestalozzi Street in St. Louis.

Great Moment 8: Home Brew lives
homebrew.jpg
October 14, 1978: President Jimmy Carter signs a bill that removes the restrictions on home brewing. This allowed beer to be made in smaller quantities at home and allowed many of the craft brewers of today to get their start.
(Billy Beer among them.)

Great Moment 9: Beer + Festival = Genius
crowdbeerfest.jpg
September 1982: First ever Great American Beer Festivals held in Boulder, Colorado.
Thousands flock to pay tribute to beer every year since.

Great Moment 10: 'Forties' rule
OE.jpg
1990s: Although Malt Liquor had been around for a few decades, it's 90s Hip Hop music that brings the '40 ounce' to the forefront of pop culture.
Drinking 40 ounces of malt liquor becomes a right of passage for American youth (including yours truly), regardless of the harsh taste.

Soon to be great moment:

January 1-5, 2009: World Series of Beer Pong.

Thank god for 40s and god bless the women that love getting their pictures with 'em.

said Bigus Dickus on December 4, 2008 12:42 PM.

Awesome post.

Dec 5 is tomorrow, which is Friday. Coincidence? I don't think so.

BTW, wasn't Anhowzer Bush (sp) around before prohab? What did the do during it?

said E on December 4, 2008 12:50 PM.

During Prohibition breweries either produced malt extract (which people ate for health reasons) or produced soft drinks. My family owned a small brewery in PA and sold it to during prohibition. The new owners made root beer until the 21st Amendment.

said FSogol on December 4, 2008 1:52 PM.

He posted early so we can start drinking beer at breakfast, like our forefathers did!
(if you read Ghost Map--a book about cholera--you'd see why they were smart to drink beer all the time)

said sarcastic one on December 4, 2008 7:58 PM.

Bigus, clearly God blessed that girl twice. Is a third time really necessary?

said Paul on December 5, 2008 12:48 AM.

Well I believe I can speak for most of the Loyal 77 here when I say: "I'd like to bless her with something else to put where that bottle is" but I won't say it and I'll leave the comments up to someone else...

said Bigus Dickus on December 5, 2008 10:31 AM.

Holy crap I know her.

said Michael on December 5, 2008 3:39 PM.

B cheated! I saw where the 40 oz. chick gave you props on her website for including her on your post. You sly dog.....trying to get in with a hot chick. Way to go! Wish I knew her......

said Bigus Dickus on December 9, 2008 12:05 PM.

BD - glad you read breakfast links.

Erin, the lady in the photo, contacted me Monday regarding that picture. Before that it was just something I found on google image. But now, perhaps she'll be kind enough to give us the backstory soon.

said Baierman on December 9, 2008 1:31 PM.

Good luck B. From what I saw on her web site she likes skateboards too. Grrls got it going on.

said E on December 9, 2008 4:13 PM.

Hmmmm.....I'm thinking that we may have a sister website on our hands....

said Bigus Dickus on December 9, 2008 4:36 PM.

I don't know how in the hell I missed this the first time around, but I didn't miss it when it came around in the Breakfast Links today. That girl is truly something to behold.

And shame on you BD et al for proposing such digusting things for this fine, young lady. What she really needs is an older, wealthy gentlemen to help make her dreams come true.

said Tim on March 2, 2009 12:32 PM.

Too bad you won't be that guy once your wife takes you to the cleaners, Tim! (and not the one where the cute girl sings the commercial jingle, either!)

said sarcastic one on March 2, 2009 12:37 PM.

Did I imply that said older, wealthy gentleman be me?

I'm just floating ideas for the young lady ... floating. Very innocent.

said Tim on March 2, 2009 12:50 PM.

I think Erin would rather have someone who was fun and could keep up with her...

an older, wealthy gentleman tends to think he owns a girl because he provides for her...

(and no, Tim, I'm not speaking of you--you have the energy of a 2 year old monkey, and the PFC girls will attest to that)

said sarcastic one on March 2, 2009 1:29 PM.

Indeed, I am a rare breed.

said Tim on March 2, 2009 1:35 PM.