Top Ten Sexiest Female Movie Scientists
smart_girl_ybnby.jpg
To be a successful female scientist in the movies, all you need is the following:
  1. Be good looking
  2. Wear glasses
That's it. Put those two together, tell everyone you studied at Oxford, and you're good to go. The following is a list of the sexiest of these intellectuals.

relic_pam_ybnby.jpg
#10: Margo Green
Played By: Penelope Ann Miller
Movie: The Relic

If I'm ever in the situation where a crazed beast is roaming a museum and decapitating people, I'd want Penelope Ann Miller by my side. (Also Tom Sizemore, but for different reasons.)

diaz_ybnby.jpg
#9: Mary Jensen
Played By: Cameron Diaz
Movie: There's Something About Mary

When the Farrelly Brothers set out to create this character, it's as if they took everything a guy could ever want in a woman and put it into Mary. Not only is she an orthopedic surgeon, but she enjoys Football and Golf, she's funny, and she volunteers at a local organization for the mentally handicapped.

Spalko3.jpg
#8: Irina Spalko
Played By: Cate Blanchett
Movie: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

First, did Cate Blanchett scalp that chick from Amelie and turn her hair into a wig? Whatever it is, the Cold War minimalism definitely works for Irina. Not only is she good with a sword, but she can read minds and crush giant ants between her thighs. True, occasionally her eyeballs spontaneously combust and she turns into pure matter, but I'd let her school me in the ways of Socialism any day.

1749__cell_l.jpg
#7: Catherine Deane
Played By: Jennifer Lopez
Movie: The Cell

If you're going to have a psychologist literally enter your mind and walk around, why not have it be Jennifer Lopez?

umathurmanpicture117tw.jpg
#6: Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy
Played By: Uma Thurman
Movie: Batman & Robin

We all know this movie is outstandingly bad. Never have I felt more ocularly raped than when I spent 125mins watching my favorite Superhero get filleted on the big screen via bat-nipples and ice skates. But the one saving grace is Uma Thurman, who brings a sexiness to every part she plays, even if that part involves being a botanist who has created a formula that gives plants a mechanism to defend themselves.

finalfantasy1.jpg
#5: Aki Ross
Voiced By: Ming-Na
Movie: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

I'll admit, this is a strange pick. Especially because Aki Ross doesn't exactly exist. (This didn't stop me from lusting after the Little Mermaid twenty years ago.) Sure, she's really just a series of computer generated polygons, but they sure are arranged in a great order. And, it's not just me who's infatuated with Aki Ross, she had a layout in Maxim Magazine.

2005_sahara_010.jpg
#4: Eva Rojas
Played By: Penélope Cruz
Movie: Sahara

Do I buy for a second that Cruz's character is a doctor working for the United Nations World Health Organization? No. Did it matter to me in the movie? No. Cruz could have been a mid-level financial auditor and I'd pay to watch her work on her calculator for an hour and a half.

abyss_scientist_ybnby.jpg
#3: Lindsey Brigman
Played By: Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
Movie: The Abyss

This woman knows how to drill. The deeper the better. She also likes to get wet. Sure, she may not be polished and refined, but would you be thousands of feet below sea level at the edge of the Cayman Trough? She's got the smarts and the edge to contend with a bunch of submerged roughnecks, aliens, and psychotic Navy SEALs.

irobot_ybnby.jpg
#2: Susan Calvin
Played By: Bridget Moynahan
Movie: I, Robot

It's true, I particularly enjoyed this movie if for no other reason than Will Smith's badass Audi. What kept me watching during the dull "informational" scenes was Bridget Moynahan's robopsychologist, Susan Calvin. The plot of this movie was more confusing than the menu at a Cheesecake Factory, but for Moynahan's eye-candy alone, it was worth the price of admission.

rachael_taylor_ybnby.jpg
#1: Maggie Madsen
Played By: Rachael Taylor
Movie: Transformers

Megan Fox may have been the desire of every pre-teen during the Summer of 2007 when she leaned over the hood of Sam's car to fix his engine, but my heart was with Rachael Taylor the whole way through that movie. Perhaps it was the Australian accent. Maybe it was her ability to analyze and decrypt alien communications. Whatever the case, I wanted her character to mentally kick some transforming alien ass, and perhaps lose a few articles of clothing in the process. Coincidentally, a certain member of my anatomy has earned the nickname "Megatron" and not because I had to keep it on ice for a few years after a golfing accident ... if you know what I'm saying.

Uh, Echo. Not one shot of the scientist fulfilling requirement #2? I think you need some new glasses...

said Don't Swayze Bro on November 6, 2008 10:05 AM.

7 of the 10 wore glasses at one point in the movies they were in. As Capt. Barbossa once said, "They're more like guidelines."

said Echowood on November 6, 2008 10:34 AM.

Great post, wish I'd thought of it. (Ditto the term, "ocularly raped," which I think will now be a regular part of my film reviewing lexicon.)

I, along with the three other people who saw Michel Gondry's 2001 bomb "Human Nature," would also nominate the character Gabrielle, played by Miranda Otto (a.k.a. the chick from Lord of the Rings who's not Liv Tyler or Cate Blanchett.) Sure, her "science" included trying to teach table manners to mice, but there was something about that over-the-top French accent...ooh la la!

said Jeem on November 6, 2008 10:34 AM.

don't forget Elizabeth Shue from The Saint... bow chicka bow bow

said cranberryzero on November 6, 2008 11:36 AM.

Personally, I'm more inclined towards Gina Inviere, from Battlestar Galactica: Razor. Because that's sort of a movie. That particular one is also prettier in the movie because its before she's been totally messed up. Its easy to forget that the Six models are frequently both scientists and made to seduce.

said Eddy on November 6, 2008 12:09 PM.

Well, as with Bridget Moynahan in I, Robot (or is it iRobot?), all you have the cheesecake factory menu, is you order the cheesecake. Which cheesecake you get hardly matters.

Jeem: While you can use ocular rape to describe lots of movies, you should try to limit it to movies where there was actual ocular cavity penetration (Like Star wars episode 1, and Batman and Robin), lest the term lose its punch.

said kbk on November 6, 2008 12:36 PM.

Where's Agent Scully!?!

said Starbuck on November 6, 2008 12:53 PM.

Amen to #4! I would watch Penelope Cruz recite the Krebs Cycle. She should win the Nobel Prize for Hotness.
Mmmmmm, cientifica espanol!

said ScienceGeek on November 6, 2008 1:08 PM.

No Dr. Jean Gray? I'm surprised...and not a single Bond girl scientist either...

said Sara on November 6, 2008 1:17 PM.

Scully was left off because I felt she was more closely tied to television than the movies. With the Bond girls, there were too many to choose from. And, sadly, Jean Gray is a glaring omission. My apologies to the mutants.

said Echowood on November 6, 2008 2:18 PM.

I second the Elizabeth Shue from the Saint nomination. I'd get all hot with her cold fusion...

said LostInDaJungle on November 7, 2008 10:54 AM.

Too true on Jean Grey. There's also a very hot one on one of the Fantastic 4 movies.

said etantao on November 7, 2008 11:59 AM.

uh, Denise Richards in that Bond movie? The World Is Not Enough, I think. That's a gimme!

said t on November 7, 2008 12:25 PM.

Whatever happened to that girl called Christmas from James Bond?

said George on November 11, 2008 7:52 AM.

+1 for Elizabeth Shue

said broken umbrella on January 15, 2009 8:28 PM.

May I point out Dr. Constance Peterson, played by Ingrid Bergman, from Spellbound?

Rhonda LeBeck, played by Finn Carter, in Tremors?

Linda McKay, also portrayed by Elizabeth Shue, in the Hollow Man?

said G on March 25, 2009 11:30 AM.

Come on. Seriously? No one thought of Bio-Dome's Dr. Petra von Kant - played by the always-luscious Kylie Minogue? I'm shocked.

said Adam on March 25, 2009 11:37 AM.