The Ghosts of Costumes Past

COLUMBIA1977.jpgOver in the YBNBY forums, we've been hearing about favorite Halloween costumes from the past. Scaramouch asked everyone to send in pictures for a post. I, being the old lady of the bunch, have a huge backlog of costumes, but none of them are recent since I now concentrate on my kid's getups. I went down into the basement and found a few, and got them scanned. So I'm presenting them here to encourage you to send yours in to webmaster@yesbutnobutyes.com and give Scara a thrill so we can post them. They don't even have to be your favorite -we'd like to see your most embarrassing costume, too! This collection is far from complete, because I just moved here and have a basement full of boxes waiting to be sorted. The first costume here is from 1977, when the Rocky Horror Picture Show was still fairly new and you couldn't just go buy a costume. I made this myself in a college dorm room with a needle, sewing machine, and a few bottles of glue. Continue reading for others.

WITCH1985.jpg

The witch is from 1985. The radio station I worked for in Paris, Tennessee was in a very old building just right for a haunted house, and I escorted groups through while cackling my little heart out.

MCkiss1979.jpg

I think this was from 1978. The background looks as if I were still in college, but the memories of that period have always been a bit fuzzy. I was a "rock and roll witch", but honestly didn't try for the KISS look -that's just the way the makeup ended up! Someone saw me and thought the poster in their room would be the perfect backdrop.

MCkiss1979closeup.jpg

Here's a closeup of the makeup.

star_trekcostume.jpg

I made all three of these Star Trek costumes around 1988 or so. I was married to a trekker. He's the one on the left. Yes, we wore these to a couple of cons besides using them for Halloween.

supergirl1980-1993.jpg

I made this costume in 1980, I think. I wore it maybe three Halloweens in different cities, the last time in 1993, so I'm not really sure when this picture was taken. Judging from the background, it was probably the mid-eighties. Obviously, this was taken before I discovered Wonderbras.

I wish I had found pictures of the Easter bunny, leprechaun, bondage queen, Strawberry Shortcake, and vampire costumes I recall. They were all homemade. Some were constructed for radio promotions, but usually recycled since they were a lot of work. The Easter bunny costume was made for an Easter promotion (duh) but later in the year I wore it to the local hospital for Halloween when my radio station took treats to the children's ward. That got a few laughs! There are no pictures of childhood costumes, since my home burned when I was in high school.

Send in your pictures to webmaster@yesbutnobutyes.com and show the world your past costumes!

You're much more into Halloween than I am or was.

Still, I've got to look in my archives to find a photo of me wearing 70s gear - the days I still had hair!

mostly I just dressed in old clothes, armed with shaving cream and eggs.

said Baierman on October 21, 2008 11:51 AM.

My fav is definitely the Columbia costume.
Don't drink it, Frank peed in it!

said Vicky on October 21, 2008 7:03 PM.

Miss C, cool costumes, but one question....what was a 8 yr old doing sneaking into a college dorm to sew clothes? Was it really a sweatshop?

said sarcastic one on October 21, 2008 9:49 PM.

Heehee! It was horrible!

said Miss Cellania on October 22, 2008 12:54 AM.

Uh, Miss C?

What's that sitting on the table in the last picture?

said Tim on October 22, 2008 1:07 AM.

That's one reason I obscured my ex'es face... although I'm sure the statute of limitations is expired by now.

said Miss Cellania on October 22, 2008 7:23 AM.

Tim, that's a limited edition atomizer from Ronco used by all the ladies in the 70s and 80s during those at home Tupperware, Avon, etc parties....the sales rep would showcase that gift with purchase to the women to get them in the right frame of mind to buy lots of useful presents for their loved ones and their kids' teachers, Scout leaders and busdrivers.
My uncle loved his so much that he was recently buried with it.

At least that's what my mom and aunt told me. Am I wrong?

said sarcastic one on October 22, 2008 9:34 AM.

Oh, it's an atomizer all right!

Times were tough in the 70's. High school and college chemistry labs everywhere were being robbed systematically of, errr, atomizer parts.

Nice to see that it didn't occur only where I lived.

said Tim on October 22, 2008 11:06 AM.

You had a nice little operation running out the of trunk of your car, eh?

said sarcastic one on October 22, 2008 11:23 AM.

Paris Tennessee? My wife's grandmother lives there. Home of the worlds largest fish fry......wow

said McBlaster on November 3, 2008 5:36 PM.