Prez Dispenser

"W." *** (out of four): Oliver Stone delivers a surprisingly entertaining, almost sympathetic look at our much-maligned 43rd President.

w_1[1].jpg

Has Oliver Stone softened in his old age? One would think, based on previous works like "Platoon", "JFK" and "Nixon", that his portrait of the man who led us into the Iraq war would be yet another burning in effigy. Instead, Stone offers a surprisingly entertaining, almost sympathetic look at our much-maligned 43rd President.

Read more on BigPictureBigSound...

If you liked this story, you might also like...

Paint whatever picture you want about George W. Bush.

He will always be World Terrorist Killer #1 in my book.

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 3:10 PM.

"How can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?"

Glad to see you are finally starting to wake up, America!
Especially since you have lost your job, lost your house, lost your bank, lost your civil liberties, lost your limbs or a loved one.

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 3:20 PM.

WTF?

said etantao on October 16, 2008 3:47 PM.

Do we have 2 Lauras, or was that a failed attempt at irony?

said kbk on October 16, 2008 3:55 PM.

It's the new Laura!...er, if this new photo ever takes...technical difficulties, please stand by...

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 4:06 PM.

What I meant to say, kbk, is that when he isn't stumbling down drunk or playing golf, George W. Bush is a terrorist! in his spare time, of course.

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 4:31 PM.

Now, look!
My Daddy said I could be President!
Sorry about your kids, but thanks for all the money, Halliburton!
Bein' Commander in Chief sure is hard work, and we had a helluva time whooping it up in the White House BBQ during the last 8 years!

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 4:38 PM.

Is anyone planning on seeing the movie? Might be something to look at 20 years from now if you want to show your kids or whatever what things were like.

said E on October 16, 2008 4:56 PM.

E - I'm shocked at the reviews for this movie. I would never have expected Oliver Stone, of all people, to go easy on W.

That said, I still think it's shit that the release of this movie is timed to coincide with the election. Why? The only thing I can figure is that it is a blatent attempt to try to link Bush and McCain in public opinion ... right before people head to the polls. If only there wasn't such a significant part of the American voter base that are, in fact, sheep. It's just not right.

Hollywood needs to stick to entertainment and cram the political commentary. Musicians too.

Except for John Lennon. He actually had a decent message.

said Tim on October 16, 2008 5:51 PM.

Josh Brolin is a fine actor indeed, but Oliver Stone has been a huge disappointment for the last few years.

I can't condemn a film if I haven't seen it, but attempting to see another human side of Georgie W. just makes me gag! How many people died under his reign? I'm just worried that this will make him seem like not such a bad guy in a sensationalistic trashy kind of way..just a stupid, drunken frat boy placed in a position of power. But tell that to a million Iraqi dead people. What about who they were, their lives? Didn't they matter, too? Abu Graib? Hello?
See...how quickly we forget.

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 6:03 PM.

Tim, I don't think this movie can do any more damage to the McCain campaign than Bush himself has already. I almost suspect that a subtle backlash at the timing of the release might actually help.

said Brother Bill on October 16, 2008 7:37 PM.

Brother Bill - You are probably right about that. But seeing how McCain is has always been struggling mightily to distance himself from the current administration (he's a maverick, you know), the intention in the timing of the release of this movie is suspect.

said Tim on October 16, 2008 10:44 PM.

Maybe I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix.

Josh Brolin is hot!

said Dave's World on October 16, 2008 11:15 PM.