Meet the NHL Ice Girls

ice1gi1.jpg

From the YBNBY sports desk...

Hockey season has begun and for me it's another year to root from my team to rise slightly above expectations. Which means make the playoffs and not have any more 10 or 13 game losing streaks.
(Lets go Islanders!)

But lets face it, I'm in the minority when it comes to loving ice hockey. Nothing I say or write about the beauty of the game, the toughness of the players, the skill, speed and excitement of it all will make you tune in to a game or buy a ticket.

Here's what might: Hot Girls. On skates.

You may not watch a game at all this year but as the new season dawns, I'm sure lots of people wouldn't might a preview the NHL's 2008-2008 Ice Girls.

So here goes...

isles23456.jpg

Like me, many NHL teams have recognized the challenge they face for today's sports viewer. The smart ones think they have found a way to put butts in seats.

ICE GIRLS

Ice Girls, to steal from an earlier post, are "cheerleaders on figure skates, who clean the ice around the nets and benches between TV timeouts."

This year, a bunch of NHL teams have versions of the ice girls. Some of the teams like Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Columbus didn't have their sites or girls ready for the season yet.

But as you'll soon see, the teams that have their ladies ready did exceptional jobs hiring the best free agent hard bodies who can skate.
Mostly.

So here they are, you're 2008-09 NHL Ice Girls.

From Chicago, the Ice Crew

hawks.jpg

Introducing the Carolina Hurricanes Storm Squad
+ a pimp named Mike.

canes1.jpg

The Calgary Flames have a Big Country Ice Crew. The bigger the better I say.

flamegirls.jpg

flamesgirls2.jpg

Vancouver Canucks Ice Team
(Okay so not every ice team is about skin and sex.)

canuckteam.jpg

Boston Bruins Ice Girls love flowers.

bruingirls.jpg

bbgirls.jpg

The NY Islanders Ice Girls have big things going for them.

isles2.jpg

islanders23.jpg

Atlanta Thrashers Blue Crew bring joy to Hotlanta.

thrashers_girls.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightening Girls. Crack! Boom. Bang!

lightening-girls.jpg

The Dallas Stars Ice Girls - give the Cowboy cheerleaders a run for their money.

dallas3.jpg

(To show off this years Dallas squad, they took the ice girls on a lake for a bikini party. Make complete sense to me.)

dallas2.jpg

dalas23.jpg

Nashville Predators Goal Girls - Perhaps the most potential offense in the NHL.

nahsville.jpg

presdateor.jpg

The Anaheim Duck Power Players - Make the best of a 5 on 4 or a 4 on 3.

duckgirls.jpg

LA Kings Ice Crew
LA's only had tryout. The team hasn't been announced but this picture will do for now.

kings-ice-girls.jpg

Florida Panthers Ice Dancers. Got legs!

pathersteam.jpg

pathers2.jpg

Phoenix The Pack Dance Ice Team - Gals and Guys.

thepack2345.jpg

thepack1.jpg

PS - The first team to debut ice girls happened to be my NY Islanders. Other than winning 4 straight Stanley Cups in the early 80's, it may be the Isles big claim to fame.

PSS - I'd also like to note that the NY Rangers don't have ice girls. This is just another reason the Rangers suck.

Enjoy the season.

Looks like a few of your Islanders ladies skated out on the ice a little early a took a puck or three to the face.

and how come we can't explode the pictures for a better, uhh, examination? What a tease!

said Tim on October 6, 2008 3:24 PM.

Are you saying that when I can finally afford Red Wing tickets, all I get to watch is hockey while sitting next to a guy with an octopus strapped to his stomach?

said Paul on October 6, 2008 4:14 PM.

You get to watch some hockey, well hopefully a lot of good hockey. And ice girls. And for your sake, a very quick goal right at the start so that octopus can get out of your row and onto the ice.

said Baierman on October 6, 2008 4:22 PM.

Yeah, around these parts, we console ourselves with the stanley cup. We don't need no stinkin' ice girls.

seriously though, can we get some ice girls?

Some T&A would be the only improvement to the wings i can think of...

said Sheriff Pablo on October 6, 2008 4:29 PM.

The Red Wings do have the Red Patrol. But that seems like a communist organization and I doubt anything good will come from it. Other than firing t-shirts at 100mph in to the crowd.

said Baierman on October 6, 2008 4:41 PM.

If only we could harness the power of the t-shirt cannon for military use....

said Sheriff Pablo on October 6, 2008 4:47 PM.

They look like prime candidates for the PPP, Floozy Division.

said etantao on October 6, 2008 5:34 PM.

last year the caroline hurricane girls were like a ferrari to everyone else's ford pinto. and now they throw in a fat black guy, taking it to a whole other level once again.

said ron on October 6, 2008 5:38 PM.

I heard the t-shirt cannon was the early design of an assault weapon developed for Kohls inevitable invasion of JC Penney's.

said Paul on October 6, 2008 6:34 PM.

No paul it goes back further than that. It was called the Craftsman Multi-Purpose launcher and was designed to fire Lawn tractors in the Sears / Montgomery-Ward wars of 1926.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 6, 2008 8:22 PM.

How are those Montgomery Ward stores doing these days SP? I'm guessing that Sears won the original wars also....

said sarcastic one on October 6, 2008 8:28 PM.

Crippled but not dead yet. i think they are currently developing a sofa cannon.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 6, 2008 10:03 PM.

That actually sounds comfy....I think the Army could get a new slew of recruits if they promoted Lazy Boy recliner cannons, too....don't ya think?

said sarcastic one on October 6, 2008 10:37 PM.

That depends....

do i have to be sitting in the recliner when it is launched from the cannon?

that may be problematic

said Sheriff Pablo on October 6, 2008 11:12 PM.

You know, if Montgomery Ward teamed up with Art Van, they could probably attack Sears and Ethan Allen simultaneously, regaining valuable anchor stores in malls all across the country. Then every weekend would be 30% off a sofa set.

PS, was anyone else aware there is an American Furniture Hall of Fame?
www.furniturehalloffame.com

said Paul on October 7, 2008 2:28 AM.

Paul--don't forget that Sears has Kmart on its side....that could be just the edge they need....
(not aware of the hall of fame...but until China started to get big in the furniture world, areas like Hickory, NC used to be big)

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 7:12 AM.

I get it. Kmart is like the ragtag militia.

JC penney has rite-aid on it's side. And those things are EVERYWHERE

said Sheriff Pablo on October 7, 2008 7:47 AM.

Just added a few more picts since the Bruins have updated their site since yesterday.

said Baierman on October 7, 2008 11:33 AM.

The Dallas Stars Ice Girls wear real hockey skates so they are "cheerleaders on hockey skates", not figure skates. I think it's an important distinction to make. You can even see them in the top picture. That makes the Stars girls clearly superior.

said Paul on October 7, 2008 4:41 PM.

Paul, while you are correct, the Stars girls clear superiority has nothing to do with hockey vs figure skates. They are just clearly superior from head down to hockey skate.

The Stanley Cup Ice Girls should come down to Dallas vs Chicago or Nashville. (I reserve the right to add LA since I'm sure they'll have a good ice team too.)

said Baierman on October 7, 2008 5:06 PM.

SP--but whose side will JC Penney jump to?

said sarcastic one on October 7, 2008 8:15 PM.

I'll agree that Dallas and Nash-vegas have the hottest girls on ice - but being that I live in Nashville and I happen to be married to one I'm a little bias!

Nashville actually has TWO professional figure skaters on their squad (Molly and Taylor) who combined have done thousands of shows across the world - and Molly is a past national competitor and is probably by far the most skilled skater in the NHL. She says "bring it on!"

We love our "Goal Girls" and they definitely bring some eye candy to the ice - nothing sexier then girls with scoops eh?

If anyone wants an autographed photo of Molly I've got the hookup..... maybe I can make some money off this deal!

LET'S GO PREDS!!!!

said Joel on October 7, 2008 8:23 PM.

I don't think I'm going to one Briuns game this year if Whitney isn't going to be there. Shes the only reason I ever bought tickets.

said Alex on October 7, 2008 10:38 PM.

Joel, well done my friend.

Our congrats to you and your super skater wife.

said Baierman on October 7, 2008 10:54 PM.

alex you should rethink that ive been checkin the new ones out and there is some real good eye candy this year even a new one that looks like whitney. so count me in on buying tickets just to seem the new team.

said mike on October 8, 2008 12:06 AM.

Give kudos to the Hurricane gals (and guy) for being the originals. Lots of colleges with lots of good cheerleading and dance squads in this area to pull from.

BTW - the guy's been there for a few years.

said Tom Woolf on October 24, 2008 5:02 PM.

Some of your information is incorrect. For instance, the Coyotes Pack team is an entertainment team, not a dance team. The skaters are a smaller group of girls than the picture you have. The Coyotes website will have pictures up soon, as I know they recently had a photo shoot.
P.s. Some of the Coyotes skaters wear hockey skates too, and play ice hockey. Ya, they are pretty bad-ass.

said hockeygirl12 on November 3, 2008 8:14 PM.

Thanks for the corrections hockeygirl. Entertainment vs. Dance team? What's the difference?

Pretty bad-ass? Not my definition of it.

said Baierman on November 3, 2008 9:20 PM.

"Entertaiment team" means that they don't dance... they do promotions stuff and shoot t-shirts.
Bad-ass is that some of the skaters wear hockey skates. I think that's pretty sweet.

said hockeygirl12 on November 5, 2008 10:52 AM.

The Rangers do not have "ice girls" but they have or had the Rangers City Skaters.

said Lloyd Scott on January 10, 2009 12:46 PM.

Anaheim Ducks' POWER PLAYERS are the BEST skate crew in the NHL.

said Go Ducks!! on February 3, 2009 11:02 PM.