Chinese Democracy - The first single

chinesedemoc.jpg

Hear the first new GnR single in years right fucking here. It's called Out of Time, I think.

Album finally drops the same day Jack Bauer returns.
11.23.08

PS - In non-related news, Opie, Andy, Richie and The Fonz are back to talk about subject I can't post about on the main page anymore but golly I wish I could.

This shit is terrible. Axl Rose is a douchey fuck.

said James on October 24, 2008 12:23 AM.

Funny Axl should put those lyrics in his new song James.

No wonder it took 14 years to come out.

said Baierman on October 24, 2008 12:30 AM.

The apocolypse is upon us! Repent! Repent! Lol........

said Bigus Dickus on October 24, 2008 10:11 AM.

What is this shit? Sounds like shitty nirvana...

said mad_max on October 24, 2008 11:25 AM.

Surely I'll get shit on for this but... i liked the song. it's not as good as Metallica's "comeback" but it's interesting. Hope the album is a little better though. at the moment I'm cautiously optimistic.

said etantao on October 24, 2008 5:17 PM.

No shat from me etantao. I think it's not bad.

I know i'm going to miss Slash's sound and rawness but I think it's a good song. We've got a month to prepare ourselves for the fact that this is Axl's band and his sound!

said Baierman on October 24, 2008 5:22 PM.

This is an ominous portent.

said E on October 24, 2008 6:11 PM.

A few years ago, I think it was the MTV music awards Axl came out in dreads, sang and really sucked. I noticed that sucked ass trying to hit the high notes.
This song is all low noted Axl. I wonder if all of Chineese Democracy will be low Axl?

said Dave on October 24, 2008 6:19 PM.

Sure it can never be the same, specially being Slash-less. But if Axl can keep to the notes that are available to him and they can move their sound to the late 2000s then it can still shine.

said etantao on October 24, 2008 8:49 PM.

well... my thoughts:

The album is good, quite good, in some ways better than some of the classic GNR and certainly WAY better than i expected.

There's a mix of their classic sound but with more blues and funk than I expected, a bit of nu metal and more tastes of other genres. There's not a single song I don't like even the pretty out of place "if the world" simply works. Production values are incredibly high in both band and singing, Axl does use a little more low than the high pitch but they both sound at home and are very well executed. The band plays quite well and the solo in "There Was A Time" (I believe by Buckethead) is quite as good as it should be.

For me the stand out tracks are: If The World, The Catcher In The Rye, Madagascar and This I Love. These songs have both the "classic" mixed with the new experimentations that make this album stand out.

I am a long time fan and didn't really think much would amount of this album other than a wreck.... if it ever came out. Not only did it came out but it caught me by surprise and it's exceptional. 4.5 / 5

said etantao on November 21, 2008 11:19 AM.

Etantao - i agree. It's a good record. I've had an advanced copy of it for a while now (thanks to the one who provided it to me btw) and it's really grown on me.

I will say that when I started to think about it as Axl's solo album, instead of a GNR album, I really started to like it more.

So for all those who are planning to buy it or listen to it, that's my advice. Think of it as Axl's solo album. Don't hold it up to the standard of Appetite or Lies, etc.

said Baierman on November 21, 2008 11:35 AM.