Beef Bacon

image001.jpg

I was alerted to the existence of Beef Bacon by regular commenter Bigus Dickus. who tells me:

Amazingly it smells like bacon when cooking and is salty like bacon but has a texture of beef and thus not as chewy as pork bacon. They said you can find it in the bacon area of the cold foods

I'd seen Turkey Bacon in my local store (which I pretty much ruled out as a terrible idea) but - Beef Bacon? That's a hard one. For the purist, bacon is bacon, and the only choice should come down to which cut, and how it's smoked. Anything other than pork seems wrong. But.... you know, beef is kind of the other pork, the dark pork. bacon and beef go together, whether its deep fried bacon at Peter Luger's as an appetizer, or good old bacon on my cheeseburger, or bacon wrapped filets or.. well, you get the picture.

I've been unable to find anywhere locally that sells it, and nowhere online either. There's a review here, but otherwise, I'm keen to find out how it tastes. Beef-bacon wrapped filet sounds like it could be worth exploring!

How good would beef bacon wrapped in regular bacon taste?

said JediJeff on October 20, 2008 11:34 AM.

Beef bacon and Regular bacon layered in a bacon double cheeseburger.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 20, 2008 11:47 AM.

S.P. - Now THAT is clever marketing!

For your consideration, perhaps pork bacon, beef patty, beef bacon, pork sausage patty on that double cheeseburger. Just a thought ...

said Tim on October 20, 2008 12:16 PM.

I just had a pig valve installed in my heart to replace a diseased one. This would allow me to eat bacon without feeling like a cannibal!

said old geezer on October 20, 2008 12:31 PM.

Just an update: I went to the local Wal-Mart here in Columbia, SC and found it where they told me it'd be located. Amazingly it's lower in fat than regular bacon (only 2.5g instead of the usual 6 or 8). I haven't had a chance to cook it yet but will give an update once done.

said Bigus Dickus on October 20, 2008 12:41 PM.

Imposters!!

Give me pork or give me death!

...wait...same thing. Nevermind.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on October 20, 2008 1:22 PM.

We expect full pictures of every stage.

said Scaramouch on October 20, 2008 1:23 PM.

Of course! All in the name of science.....and bacon!

said Bigus Dickus on October 20, 2008 1:34 PM.

CLC - "Give me pork or give me death!"

How you doin'?

said Tim on October 20, 2008 1:39 PM.

I'm good Tim! Killing myself softly with pork's song.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on October 20, 2008 1:55 PM.

Strumming my pain with her bacon
Filling my life with its fat
Killing me softly with pig's song
Killing me softly ................ with pig's song
Dumping my whole heart, with its grease
Killing me softly.................with pig's song

Another lost chance of a video comment. Why can't I bring my webcam and my guitar to my office... Oh wait... I could be fired... OK, nevermind.

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 20, 2008 2:29 PM.

By the way, I'm going to paint me a "Give me pork or give me death" T-shirt.

CLC, this could be your first branded t-shirt at YBNBY store.
Think of it: a nice picture of a wonderful, delicious, beautiful, crispy bacon strip and your saying around it.

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 20, 2008 2:33 PM.

I have actually been thinking for a while about an overhaul of the store - would you guys be interested in submitting designs?

said Scaramouch on October 20, 2008 2:34 PM.

Leo - You really amaze me sometimes. Pulling off a parody of an American 70's classic ... nice job, my friend.

I would be honored to meet you at the gate and safely escort you into our country. (Assuming you would want to subject yourself and family to the worldwide disgust that goes with citizenship.)

Carry on.

said Tim on October 20, 2008 2:40 PM.

I could send some designs... but I don't have the time right now...

Tim, is your offer also available if I'm only going to a visit?

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 20, 2008 2:48 PM.

Leo - You appear to be under the misguided impression that once you are here, 'they' let you leave. There are no visitors anymore.

said Tim on October 20, 2008 3:40 PM.

Uh-oh...
Let me see how will I make it work... I'll send you further notices...

Almost forgot.. CLC, thanks for the inspiration. I worked on my parody lyrics after your comment.

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 20, 2008 3:58 PM.

Oh i forgot, that burger needs grilled onions and top it with A-1 steak sauce.

Maybe we can collaborate on a bacon themed YBNBY cookbook.

77 recipes, all including bacon.

said Sheriff Pablo on October 20, 2008 5:02 PM.

I am pretty sure I saw this at Walmart this morning. If I'd read this post first, I would have picked some up. You'll have to make do with regular bacon this week, Scara!

said CindylovesScara on October 21, 2008 11:53 AM.

Leo, you should visit.
You can check out any time you'd like but you can never leave.

said Dave on October 21, 2008 3:28 PM.

If you guys knew how hard people have to suffer on the US Embassy here just to get a tourist's visa to enter in the USA...
Lots of Brazilians were trying to get in through Mexico, paying sometimes US$ 2,500 to the coyotes.
2/3 of those who tried, got back home with a "DON'T EVEN BOTHER TRYING AGAIN" stamped in their passports. Oh, those who could get their passports back with the coyotes.

I want to go there someday, but I don't know if I'd like to stay for lifetime. It would depend on how life would be once I got in there.

But if they try to keep me in by force, I'll call my SWAT team to bring me back home.

said Leonardo Carvalho on October 21, 2008 3:40 PM.

Leo -

To those that want to leave this country so bad, your statement should be used as proof that we still have it so good in this country. The 'American Dream' is alive enough that people in other countries believe in it.

So we got that goin' for us.

said Tim on October 21, 2008 3:50 PM.

Leo, I've got your back I'll even be your coyote for free.
Here's the Plan, I'll pick you up in Tijuana. We can catch dinner and a show.
I hear there is some really good theatre called the Donkey show.
We'll have a good time in TJ, pick up some prescriptions and then, I'll stash you in the trunk to get you across the border.
I've never had my car searched crossing back into the U.S.
When It's time to leave, no big deal.
Leaving the U.S. is easy. You don't even have to stop when crossing the border back into Mexico.

It would be fricken awesome.
We could party like it's 1999

said Dave on October 21, 2008 3:52 PM.

FYI: I have not had a chance to document my beef bacon experience yet. I've been tied up with organizing and setting up an Oktoberfest celebration and tonight I will be helping execute the Oktoberfest so if I'm sober enough to take pictures while drunk cooking the bacon, I'll gladly share them. If not, it may be tomorrow night before I cook it and send in my report.

said Bigus Dickus on October 21, 2008 4:00 PM.

Well the report has been submitted for approval, perusal, deletion, etc.

said Bigus Dickus on October 23, 2008 11:44 AM.

I just had the most awesome burger I've ever had.

Grill your burgers alongside the beef bacon
serve with sautéed shrooms & onions on a bun

apply spicy/Dijon MAYONNAISE to the bun bottom
add the beef bacon covered with the sautéed shrooms & onions
put on the burger add your favorite cheese and bun top
and enjoy the best burger you've ever had.

said John on September 10, 2009 1:25 PM.