Charles Bronson's "Mandom"

Here's old advert for some kind of male body powder called Mandom starring Charles Bronson that just won't quit making me laugh.

too funny....the gunshot sound effects make it--it looks like an SNL skit!

said sarcastic one on September 17, 2008 7:02 PM.

Mandom - The scent will shoot you dead.

said Baierman on September 17, 2008 7:09 PM.

Between this and the Ska Church band I'm getting a nasty 70's hangover. No wonder everyone was on drugs back then. Sheeeeee-it.

said E on September 17, 2008 7:18 PM.

I think advertising was easier when people were on drugs...chicken and egg--did you need the drugs to deal with the world, or was the world like that because everyone was on drugs?
(minus me--I was 6 when the 70s ended)

said sarcastic one on September 17, 2008 7:29 PM.

This must be from the mid 60's. I swear the doorman is Bert Lahr, the cowardly lion from the wizard of oz. but he died in '67. All in all a pretty crazy ass commercial though.

I would say it's ridiculous, but charles bronson is not a man to be trifled with and i don't want him tracking me down and killing me in my sleep...

said Sheriff Pablo on September 17, 2008 10:31 PM.

And yes, i know he's dead, but Charles Bronson wouldn't let a lil ol' thing like death stop him from killing you.

said Sheriff Pablo on September 17, 2008 10:35 PM.

Pablo. Excellent points. I chastise Mr Bronson not, the video quality of that era though, damn!

said E on September 17, 2008 11:49 PM.

Hahahahah... Bronson was a badass when Norris was still on diaper. But I'm not afraid. He won't come down here to haunt me.

But I can't stop thinking about how gay he looked when he eased the tie's knot. God damn... wish I didn't see it. Well, he was mostly gay the whole advertise.

That's where his death wish came from. He was pursuing the agency guys who ran this ad.

said Leonardo Carvalho on September 18, 2008 12:10 AM.

This is way too weird... Just last week I was having dinner with a senior executive of Mandom Corporation Japan and had casually asked him how much Bronson cost as a talent for the ad.
He remarked that it was in the millions (U.S. Dollars) and that the company literally bet its entire fortune on Bronson for the tv commercial.
TCALSS, the ad worked and Mandom is today Japan's no.1 men's cosmetic company.

said juls on September 18, 2008 3:10 AM.

I've got to go with Sarcastic One's drug theory. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if my man kept EIGHT bottles of Mandom. I'm also trying to imagine my reaction to him coming home and flinging his shirt off like a castmember from "Fame", and showering himself with Mandom for SIXTEEN SECONDS without getting his funky ass in the shower!...after coming home from a lounge bar of some sort. ewww.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on September 18, 2008 8:53 AM.

Wow, vintage 1970s Japandering -- great find, Baierman.

I almost spit coffee on my screen when he chooses his favorite pipe from his pipe caddy (when did Manly Men stop having those, by the way?), then whips his shirt off with the flourish of...well, I think CLC nailed it with "Fame castmember." And good God, he only puts about a quart of that stuff all over himself...no wonder he has to buy it 15 bottles at a time.

I wonder if Mandom was created to compete with Hai Karate or what...

said Jeem on September 18, 2008 9:59 AM.

Jeem, haven't you read the Rules of YBNBY?

#1 - Thou shall not drink or eat while reading the posts.

I wasted a keyboard weeks ago... and I realized that hot coffee coming through the nose aches... a lot!

said Leonardo Carvalho on September 18, 2008 10:30 AM.

Jeem - did you notice that all the pipes were the same?

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on September 18, 2008 10:48 AM.

...and of course every man, once his shirt comes off, flexes 100% of the time...

said Dan on September 18, 2008 11:05 AM.

Rules, schmules, Leonardo! Rules are for people without pipe caddies and mustaches.

Good eye, CLC, that's pretty funny.

said Jeem on September 18, 2008 11:48 AM.

That Mandom is good stuff.
I keep it in my truck, my office desk, and yes I have at least 8 spare bottles at home.
I think you people are underestimating the power of Mandom.
The scent is something of a combination that smells like Burnt hair, bacon, latex, and Salmon.
I don't know why it works, I just know it does.
99.4 % of Chicks go for a guy, even an ugly guy who wears mandom.
It is also a proven fact that Mandom attracts 92% of hetero Argentenian dudes, so be careful.

said Dave on September 18, 2008 12:47 PM.

The really weird thing is there's no woman in the whole thing. He's gettin himself all ready for something special tonight, but it seems it just might be Mr. Hand. I half expected him to whip it out and start in on himself.

said Chris on September 18, 2008 1:37 PM.

Well Chris, when you're wearing Mandom, you just can't help yourself.

said Baierman on September 18, 2008 1:49 PM.

Mandom: For men who shoot blanks...

said Dan on September 18, 2008 1:52 PM.

Yeah, 99.4% of chicks go for a guy wearing Mandom, but 99.999% of chicks don't go for a guy that flings his shirt off like he's auditioning for "Cats" and then sprinkles it on for 16 seconds.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on September 18, 2008 2:30 PM.

Unless, of course, that man is Charles Bronson, who's pirouette was developed during World War II as a back-up in case the A-Bomb didn't do the trick.

said Don't Swayze Bro on September 18, 2008 3:26 PM.

Doorman was Percy Heldon, best remembered as the drunk Santa in Miracle on 34th Street. This was his last role.

said G on September 19, 2008 6:40 AM.

That behind closed doors/spraying himself down moment seemed like a wanking off metaphor.

said G on September 19, 2008 7:15 AM.

Wear Mandom for the ultimate night of Handom!

said Mikey on September 19, 2008 1:31 PM.

Nice Mikey.

Mandom is for lovers.

Mandom. For men who love smoking pipe.

said Baierman on September 19, 2008 3:13 PM.