The YBNBY Council - Part II

teamcrew.jpg

Pictured: Miss Cellania. Scaramouch. Baierman. Johnny Wright. Echowood. And Razen.

The first YBNBY council gathering back in June was a smashing success. No limbs were broken. (Read about it here.) So when Scaramouch turned on the Bat signal (via email) to plan the next gathering, more people wanted in.

This time we picked another classic New York watering hole - The Old Town - to discuss the state of the pop culture landscape, guzzle a few cold ones and stay out past curfew.

The Old Town fits our needs because since 1892 it has served the finest alcoholic beverages and pub food to the public. And judging by the photos on the walls, it's also hosted many film crews. This made it the perfect place for the expanded YBNBY writing staff to disgrace.

oldtowne.jpg

Word of the good times had at the first council spread quickly. Round 2 was set to be 75% bigger than before. (Note: Raoul was not invited as he had prior commitments.)

I, Baierman, arrived first and cased to the place for emergency exits. Finding none, I ordered a Guinness and waited. 2 pints later Johnny walked in. Both of us were relieved not to be wearing similar ringer tee shirts like last time.

Johnny then turned to the table Oklahoma City Sonics fans behind us, snapped his fingers and told them to scram. They did.

See folks Johnny's like E.F. Hutton. He talks, people fucking listen.

He also makes reservations.

Scaramouch showed up next waving the Union Jack and shouting anti-American slurs to the crowd. Johnny signaled using his stars-n-stripes notebook, which Scara promptly burned.

Great, we had quorum.

Next Miss Cellania arrived all the way from Kentucky. She was so excited about the event that she jumped in her Miscmobile (part sub-compact, part tank) and high tailed it to NYC. Via Queens. Along the way she established a new land speed record, cursed corporate radio and charmed at least a dozen patrolman out of speeding tickets.

Johnny, Scara and I were happy finally meet Miss C. Not just because she's a funny lady but also cause a guy at the bar had just sent us a round of drinks.

Long time contradictor Razen came next and immediately began to impress us with blog entries from the past - when YBNBY was just a fledgling site that likened itself to a chaste whore. We were all mesmerized by Razen's knowledge of the beginning (2005) especially since he used his new iPhone 3G to search through some of his famous posts.

watchmenbooks.jpg

5 minutes later the iPhone battery died. But that was okay since Echowood had arrived. Late. He was verbally abused for his tardiness but all was forgiven once he pointed out that he was just at a bookstore buying Watchmen. Abuse turned to praise. Another round was delivered. And we took turns ordering cooked cow flesh, freedom fries and chili.

Suddenly The Muggler appeared out of thin air. His presence sent a shockwave through The Old Town. Even Sven, the Swedish man-candy standing alone at the bar, gazed our way and bowed his head. Muggler commended all of us for maintaining YBNBY's strict code of journalistic integrity. He then shook his fist and demanded we write more fight lighting posts. After chugging Johnny's soda he vanished back to his Campfire. Poof, just like that.

BacksidePoof.jpg

All this excitement was to much for Scaramouch. He made some lame excuse about missing his kid's birthday and split. He did pay the bill so don't go to hard on him Trailwayze.

Fortunately, having spent the whole day panhandling outside Whole Foods, yours truly had enough change to buy a few more rounds. Everyone smiled. We drew straws and I got stuck writing this post.

Perhaps next time Evil Rich, Jeem, Jellio, Big Picture Big Sound and even Homeless Frank will join in the fun. Maybe you will too!

Meeting Footnote: Scaramouch had set forth an ambitious agenda for this meeting but once our lovely waitress delivered the first round of liquid refreshment, all was forgotten. We did approve of the installation of video comments. (Feel free to leave yours anytime.) But a decision to add "Monkey News" as a category was tabled, despite Johnny's heartfelt plea.

I see Razen has totally changed his look.

said E on August 1, 2008 6:26 PM.

Didn't homeless frank die?!

said SalMoIlla on August 1, 2008 6:27 PM.

Damn right people listen.

Raoul! Get me chilled beverage!

He's running.

said Johnny Wright on August 1, 2008 6:43 PM.

Watch out for trolls, monkeys and Rick Astley.

said E on August 1, 2008 7:30 PM.

weren't the video comments working already? those gatherings look like a lot of fun.

said etantao on August 1, 2008 8:01 PM.

You left out the part where Johnny and Echowood escorted me to a subway stop which CLOSED soon afterward. I was really in no condition to navigate, but I found my way back in eventually.

Or maybe you didn't know about that.

said Miss Cellania on August 1, 2008 8:30 PM.

Sorry Miss C, I didn't hear that part of the story but I figured all was well when I saw the pictures of your new friend that you met in Time's Square.

Etantao: Never hurts to plug a new feature.

E: We'll keep an eye out.
Razen is a stud.

Sal - Homeless Frank may have died, then again he may come back. He's like Michael Myers.

Johnny: Raoul's such a brown noser.

said Baierman on August 1, 2008 9:14 PM.

Huzzah!

BTW, I followed Miss C here and now love this site daily. You all rock, and we all win!

PS, OK - so Baiterman drinks Guinness... the rest of you drink gin or moonshine, right?

said priyanga on August 1, 2008 11:39 PM.

I'm still confused how the Times Square subway station closed Miss C. Subway stations don't close. Maybe that particular entrance closed?

There was no plot on our part.

said Johnny Wright on August 2, 2008 4:30 AM.

We're happy to have you Priyanga! Welcome.

said Baierman on August 2, 2008 6:51 AM.

Yeah, just the entrance. Which would have been fine if I had been sober, or knew my way around. Or if it had been anywhere but Times Square. It turned out OK, but makes for a decent punchline to the evening.

said Miss Cellania on August 2, 2008 7:08 AM.

I feel better. I felt bad that we somehow had you wandering around lost in the Big Apple.

said Johnny Wright on August 2, 2008 10:43 AM.

Haha! It wouldn't be the first time. I drove, remember? For that, I blame Mapquest, Google Maps, and a NY friend who gave me directions. I've navigated by car there several times, and the only time there was smooth sailing is when I threw out the directions and followed my own instincts.

I should write a post about this, shouldn't I?

said Miss Cellania on August 2, 2008 11:26 AM.

I missed another one?

Damn...

You guys should think of hosting a YBNBY party and invite the commenters as well. I'll defiantly make the trip form the woods to meet you all!

said Jeni Gump on August 11, 2008 4:17 PM.