Ten Truly Phallic Structures

frontpage123.jpg

They're big.

And tall.

And wide.

And made of hard stuff like marble, granite, brick and steel.

Careful, if you rub them to hard they might explode.

Ten Truly Phallic Structures plus the dates they were completely erect.

1. Smaralind. Reykjavik, Iceland. Erected 2001.

smaralind1.jpg

2, Wat Arun. Erected in the days of Thailand's ancient capital of Ayutthaya.

wat-arun-temple.jpg

3. Water Tower of Ypsilanti, Michigan. AKA "The Brick Dick" Erected 1890.
(Was once voted most phallic building)

brickdick.jpg

4. Braniff Tower. Irving, TX (aka The Giant Condom) Erected 1968-ish.

texastower-.jpg

5. The Washington Monument. Erected 1848. Finished 1885.

WashingtonMonument.jpg

6. Liberty Memorial Kansas City, MO. Erected 1921.

branifftowers.jpg

7. Bank of America Corporate Center. Charlotte, NC. Erected 1992.

bofbuilding.jpg

8. Eiffel tower. Erected 1889.

eiffel-tower.jpg

9. Louisiana State Capitol. Baton Rouge, LA. Erected 1932.

labuilding.jpg

10. Leaning Tower of Pisa. Erected 1173.

pisa1.jpg

I can believe you missed "30 St Mary Axe" in London. Do a search.

said Scaramouch on August 7, 2008 1:05 PM.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

said E on August 7, 2008 1:38 PM.

The Burj Dubai is the middle eastern finger giving us the bird for paying 5 buck/gallon for gas.

said Dave on August 7, 2008 2:05 PM.

The Burj Dubai: Hmmmm.... so THAT's what it feels like to be ass-raped in prison!

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 7, 2008 2:55 PM.

Biggus Dickus, any comments?

said E on August 7, 2008 2:59 PM.

I am waiting for a little input from Big Dickus myself.

said Dave on August 7, 2008 3:17 PM.

Yeah, I figured Miss C. would also have some womanly wisdom to add regarding this part:

"The Washington Monument. Erected 1848. Finished 1885."

said Jeem on August 7, 2008 3:33 PM.

A walk off bomb for Jeem!

Drive safely folks!

said Johnny Wright on August 7, 2008 3:42 PM.

30 St Mary Axe is more like a bullet to me.

Burj Dubai is a giant middle finger...in the middle of nowhere it seems.

It's true, it took them a long time to finish Washington's monument. I believe it was built using the tantric method.

said Baierman on August 7, 2008 3:49 PM.

Yet again I thought I had gone to Boing Boing by mistake.

said E on August 7, 2008 4:05 PM.

E, I'm not a regular visitor to boing boing but since they have a larger exposure than us and a name that reminds me of Tigger, I'm going to assume your comment is a compliment. As such, you have made my day.

I just couldn't handle more criticism today. Blame Mary Murphy.

said Baierman on August 7, 2008 4:17 PM.

the Burj Dubai is impressive in height but it is a shame Skidmore Owings & Merrill designed it. their skyscraper division is like the big movie studio of architectural fims creating bad systematic designs over and over. they have good projects but for the most part it repetitive works. much better is Taipei 101.

said etantao on August 7, 2008 4:22 PM.

Beierman. I was just making a penis joke. Boing Boing sounds penis-y to me.

YBNBY is way cooler than them. If they have a larger profile (pardon the pun), fuck it, people are stupid.

said E on August 8, 2008 2:21 AM.

Nice. Nice. Nice. E.

said Baierman on August 8, 2008 9:10 AM.

Hello.

Martha Louise, who is the only daughter of King Harald and Queen Sonja, gave up the title of 'royal highness' upon her 2002 marriage to writer Ari, and has a reputation for not standing on ceremony.
Bye.

said PiseSmeminy on October 10, 2008 5:04 AM.

I know that last comment is probably a spam comment, but I approved it because I thought it was so charming :)

said Scaramouch on October 10, 2008 10:08 AM.

I know Scara. I actually had to go look up this Princess. An interesting story.

said Baierman on October 10, 2008 10:15 AM.

how did I miss this post?????

I've been to #9....more than once...it's very satisfying....

and....Huey P.Long was responsible for its construction (no, NOT making that up....)

said sarcastic one on October 10, 2008 10:17 AM.

Thanks SO, it's just one of the storiesthat just got lost in the clutter.

One day when you're board just click on a catagory and go through a couple pages, you'll start to see the old stuff soon enough. Or try our recommendation engine at the bottom of every story. Thanks.

BTW, I may just start going back into the archives and posting links to old stories. (see my latest top ten post) There's thousands of good, odd stories to choose from.

said Baierman on October 10, 2008 10:29 AM.

Wow, I can't believe that The Nebraska State Capitol isn't number 1

Not only is it AMAZINGLY Phallic shaped, but, and I am completely serious...

It is topped by a statue of A MAN "SOWING HIS SEED"!!!

Go check out a picture of it.

said Husker129 on November 8, 2008 8:57 AM.

Thanks Husker. I didn't think the Neb. State Capitol was very phallic compared to the others on this list...however now that you've given us the inside scoop about the statue, perhaps it does deserve an honorary metion.

said Baierman on November 8, 2008 6:14 PM.