Olympic Sprint Champion Reprimanded
BOLT2.jpgFrom the Olympic Sports Desk...

Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt's feat of winning both the 100 meter and 200 meter sprints this past week is an incredible achievement. Both wins in record time. Both wins were not challenged from the field. A sprinter has not won both races since Carl "Let Me Show Off My Lovely Singing Voice" Lewis in 1984.

Now if only we could get Bolt to show a little class in victory.

I'm not alone in this feeling. In fact, the International Olympic Committee has publicly reprimanded Bolt for his questionable celebrations.

Said IOC president Jacques Rogge:
That's not the way we perceive being a champion. ... I have no problem with him doing a show. I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters.

Maybe my memory is a wee bit fuzzy, but I don't recall the IOC scolding another athlete publicly like this. The Olympics should have a higher standard of sportsmanship. Bolt pounding his chest, taking off his shoes, popping his jersey, posturing and yelling how he is the greatest is really wince-worthy. The displays are overshadowing the accomplishments.

(I wish I could embed videos of the races for you, but during the Olympics, NBC shifts into Gestapo mode and guards Olympic footage like the treasures of Tutankhamun. The races can be seen by heading here.)

I think athelets should be able to just go crazy after a victory. They earned it. I'd like to see the winner cross the finish line, and then just turn around and start punching everyone in the face that's finishing behind him (or her). Hell, fire off a few celebratory shots in the air with the 'lucky Uzi' after the relays.

No hitting the judges if you lose though. I don't condone unnecessary violence. That's why I'm voting for Dave!

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 21, 2008 1:41 PM.

Give me a break.

Yeah, Bolt is the real offender at these games. You go get him, Rogge! Never mind the human rights offenses that China is embracing. Protestors? Put them in jail! China just sent two old ladies to a LABOR camp for protesting the games. And this is how you reform you image? By jailing your people for voicing their opinion?

Nah, that's cool. No need to say a word on that, Rogge. Go after the bad guys, let them know that Usain Bolt is an enemy to these games. Not the underage olympiads. Not the extremely questionable judging. Not the...well, shit, just google "2008 Olympics Beijing" and you'll most likely find plenty of stuff that can be wiped clean from the memory bank because of Enemy of the Olympics' Usain Bolt's devastating bravado.

Give me a break.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 1:58 PM.

Thank's number 1.
I think loosing class after a win does the damage in itself. Usain hurt himself more than any reprimand would ever do.
If that guy would have hugged his opponents, wiped a few tears from his eyes, thanked the countless people who helped him, denied all credit and gave it to others, the world would have loved him.
Instead the world can't wait for his records to be beat, and they will. That Beijing track was incredibly fast. Tracks will get faster and atheletes will evolve, and he will only be remembered as a Jackass that once had the record.
I watched the clip of Michael Johnson last night, as he watched his record get beat. He jumped in the air smiling and was genuinely happy for Usain.
That's a winner in my book.
I look forward to watching Usain cry as he gets his record broken.

said Dave on August 21, 2008 1:59 PM.

Dave, hopefully Usain is racing the person that beats his record. Then he could get punched in the face.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 21, 2008 2:14 PM.

I dunno, Dave. Bolt has a stride longer than I've ever seen in the sport. These records are going to last until he bests them again. After that, it'll take another sprinter with his build, which is rare.

Bolt could have more class, though. Indeed, Michael Johnson was pure class.

said Tim on August 21, 2008 2:21 PM.

I think Sal has a good point.
I know this sounds hypocritical but If I was one of the Ladies who beat China in Volleyball last night, it would have been a different story.
I would have started dancing and rapping to Shaq's "China, Tell me how my ass tastes" . I then would have taken a Chineese flag, wiped the sweat from my ass with it, and yelled: "Here is to the sport that the Chinese cant cheat in! "
I could go on for hours until being shot.
The world may hate me but my American friends would love me.

said Dave on August 21, 2008 2:28 PM.

What a ridiculous post. Typical American hypocrisy.

No one outside of the US feels the same, trust me. Rogge was probably throwing the Americans a bone with his 'reprimand'.

The world is tired of spoiled doped up US athletes. So when a non-American comes along and does something extraordinary and celebrates please don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Michael Johnson has class? Riiiight.

said Casey on August 21, 2008 2:36 PM.

I'm not sure if you're mocking me dave--and if you aren't, sorry for the assumption--but let me ask you guys this:

How important is the integrity of one single race when the host country sacrificed the entire game's? There's limited media access. Endless amounts of fluff being produced by our own country so not to sully the Games' name. (Ok, Coca-Cola, we get it--Lebron (or was that Kobe?) and Yao unite over a Cola, YAY INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS!) China breaking promises it made in 2001; if you want to argue that it had limited Human Rights agreements on there (which is debatable), then you have to consider that it said press would remain free. Protestors are being thrown in jail, something no other country would or should stand for.

But, nope. Rogge turns his back on China and focuses his sights on Bolt. The real enemy.

Excuse me, where's the waste basket? I need to hurl.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 2:38 PM.

Yes, Casey, because outside of America doping and cheating does not exist. It's an American problem. The rest of the world is clean.

I will of course just take your word for it that rest of the 6 billion people on Earth approve of Bolt's antics.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2008 2:52 PM.

Did any else read this article Victor Conte (BALCO) wrote about this...

said Baierman on August 21, 2008 3:01 PM.

Johnny, I don't think it's a matter of what Bolt did was right or wrong. It's the fact that the spotlight is hitting all the wrong spots.

If he was being reprimanded by a bunch of media guys, other competitors, etc., this would be a different story. It would be a matter of sportsmanship on the smallest level, and that is the competition itself. But the fact that the man who is the head of the IOC, the man who SHOULD be calling China out for all its wrong-doings this game, is instead commenting about sportsmanship that makes it corrupt. Sportsmanship has already been tarnished. There is nothing "sporting" about how China is going about presenting and executing these games. If their gymnasts really are under 16--which, with all the rumors flying around, should at least spark an investigation--then where was that outrage?

If Bolt's sportsmanship is condemned, then we need it to come down on a wide-spread level.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 3:09 PM.

Casey,

I'm sorry, but I have to call you on this one.

Please give us specific examples of Michael Johnson representing himself with anything but class. I'm going out on a limb here, mind you, because I know that you just might be able to prove us wrong. I know that he did Olympic broadcasts for BBC. Was there something said or done that we need to know about?

Your Yankee friend,

Tim

said Tim on August 21, 2008 3:21 PM.

Sal, Nah I'm not mocking you at all.
I agree, I am sickened by how the Chinese have ran the games. I also agree that more of a spotlight should be shown on the Chineese than a superior athelete.
Don't get me wrong. If anyone has a right to showboat, Bolt has it. Does he need to be reprimanded? I don't think so, I think he did the damage to himself.
Are there singular U.S. Atheletes cheating ? absolutely. Is it wrong ?Absolutely.
Is the U.S. cheating collectively? Absolutely not. China, as a country, to provide an image of power is, and for that I would wipe my ass with the Chineese flag. Right after I did a pre-ass cleaning with Casey's head.
Typical bitter douche bag.

Casey, what country are you from?

said Dave on August 21, 2008 3:27 PM.

I understand what you are saying Sal, I really do. It's a fair and valid point. I just think it's another kettle of fish. Leading up to the Games I watched the protests taking place in London and France in the news. I had really mixed feelings about them. One hand I thought it was good to bring attention to the human tights issues in China. On the the other hand, the guys carrying the torch had nothing to do with it and shouldn't get doused with fire extinguishers.

I was on the camp that didn't think Beijing should host the Games years ago. But it's there, I had to accept it. I'm not discounting your point, mate. I just think it's a different issue. Bolt has been blasted by media and commentators. Including Ado Bolden who is from Trinidad and Tobago. Bolt has been really obnoxious. Almost as bad as when the US relay team won the 4 x 100 in 2004 and were using the American flag as a turban and toga and posing like WWF wrestlers. Almost.

Thanks for your input.

JW

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2008 3:50 PM.

Johnny - My point was not that doping and cheating doesn't exist outside of the US (as if I really need to point this out) but that track has suffered lately due to the actions of some high profile American athletes. Bolt has people forgetting the past and focusing on the future. People can't get enough of him and this is great for the sport. This post just threw all of that away and came off as sour grapes. I'm doubtful that you're much of a fan of track or sports in general if you can disregard such an amazing accomplishment.

Incidentally, go watch Johnson's 1996 200m celebration and you'll see him "popping his jersey".

As for Johnson's class, I recall his actions in the 1997 150m against Donovan Bailey as being a little suspect. But I was really reacting to those commenting on Johnson's reaction to Bolt's breaking his record. He knew cameras would be on him, what was he supposed to do?

said Casey on August 21, 2008 3:50 PM.

Casey - You're damn right Michael Johnson has class. I'm still trying to figure out how many tabs of acid you had to drop, to come up with that comment. I think I'll go ahead and opt out of 'trusting' your opinion about how everyone outside of the US feels regarding your acid-laced sentiments. You sound bitter Casey. Find something cylindtrical, and slide it in the hole on your body that's causing you the most grief. I'm hoping it's your mouth. I'm sure everyone on the inside of the US feels the same, trust me.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 21, 2008 3:55 PM.

Mhm, don't get me wrong, Bolt's actions lacked a bit of class. But there's a bigger issue here: the Games are now bigger than the athletes who make the games, it seems. The host country, as long as they are big and scary and oppressive, can do as they wish, as long as the Games go on. What precedent is this setting for future games? Will we be seeing Sudan building a stadium on top of the thousands--or is it millions now?--lost under the sand? Brazil trying to hide the slave trade that runs rampant in its country? How about Colombia supplying the athletes with a little of the nose candy for a boost? Those may be outdated examples, and also extreme, but the path doesn't look so tough when you're allowing chainsaws and bulldozers to roll through without a peep while yelling at the kid tossing his cigarette on the dirt in the same forest.

Once Rogge got involved, it stopped being a different issue. His willingness to turn a blind eye towards the main plot and to focus on the subplot ruins the whole show.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 3:58 PM.

btw, what happened to the breakfast links? All I see now is the link for the RSS feed.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 4:04 PM.

Uh, disregard that last comment, and feel free to delete this and that one--they're back now.

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 4:07 PM.

Notice, Casey, like the little bitch that he is, hid under a rock. Perhaps calling him a little bitch will give him the balls to come out of the closet and name the country that he is from.
Come on Casey, start backing your shit, Michael Johnson, where does he lack class...

Casey???????

said Dave on August 21, 2008 4:13 PM.

Dave, take a moment--are you really getting worked up that much that you need to call him "a little bitch"? It's an attitude like that which sullies America's name. On top of that, Casey isn't a member so his posts need to be approved. You're making this waaaayyyy more personal than it needs to be.

And, Johnny, you don't need to post that gymnastics story to satisfy me :P

said SalMoIlla on August 21, 2008 4:17 PM.

I didn't pal. Just coincidence. I already had the link ready to go. Promise.

said Johnny Wright on August 21, 2008 4:21 PM.

I'm Sorry Sal-I just get worked up when someone attacks the country that I love with generalizations.
I'll take the attacks because I probably deserve them. But thats me. Not my country.

said Dave on August 21, 2008 4:29 PM.

Sal - lighten up. Have a shot. Leo and his team may come and prop you in a corner. Casey is a bitch because Dave said so (didn't you see the flag?)

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 21, 2008 4:35 PM.

Ruffies for lunch Dave?

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 21, 2008 4:41 PM.

If this was a caption competition I would go with 'You want a piece of me punk?'

said E on August 21, 2008 4:49 PM.

No ruffies for lunch, just a slight deadline on a project. Worse than ruffies.

said Dave on August 21, 2008 4:52 PM.

CLC - The perfect ending to the discussion. Thugs on the way! And the flag says it all!

And a think that he had the right of a party with himself, who ran and won? What we think doesn't really matter to him. Another day, another dollar, see you in next sprint.
OK, it would be nice if he came to the others and gave hugs and asked how did it feel to keep spotting his ass for 200 meters.

And I also think that somethings smell on the broadcasts, once nobody there can talk about the real Chinese Democracy (sorry Axl, I had to use it) and so they keep looking for other subjects that can generate commotions. No one is complaining anymore about censorship over the press, the Internet... at least I can't see them.

Dave, please, don't wipe your ass with that flag. Mind the crickets.

I think it's a call for the Octagon... who's in?

said Leonardo Carvalho on August 21, 2008 5:09 PM.

Macho posturing?... from a Jamaican man? I find that hard to believe!.. oh, wait: 'Though familiar to Americans primarily as a laid-back beach destination, Jamaica is hardly idyllic. The country has the world's highest murder rate. Its rampant violence against gays and lesbians has prompted human-rights groups to confer another ugly distinction: the most homophobic place on earth.'... an amiable group of people!

said Jayson on August 22, 2008 11:10 AM.