John McCain's Housing Hullabaloo
During an interview with Politico.com, Senator John McCain was asked how many houses he and his wife own.

That should be a relatively easy question to answer. Well, not that easy...

I'll have to check with my staff.

This gaffe is amusing for few reasons. McCain has been trying to paint Barack Obama is an elitist, out of touch with the common man. McCain has tried not to portray himself as addled and dotty because of his advanced age. And McCain has been trying to suggest that he understands how many are struggling in the poor economy that he says is actually sound. Having at least seven homes, so many that you can't recall the number off the top of your head, doesn't really help McCain's credibility in these matters.

If you are wondering how many guitars I own, I'm not quite sure. I'll have my staff get back to you.

The economy is doing great. If you need a little spending money, just sell one of your houses. That's a little straight talk right there.

said E on August 22, 2008 1:42 PM.

The question may have shook McCain up a bit. When asked, it gave him a brief flashback of his round of questioning with the Senate Ethics Committee as part of The Keating Five.

Gumpster - you forgot to mention how much politicians are douche bags...and it really needs to be said.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 22, 2008 2:08 PM.

I think this is exactly what Obama must do to win in November. Make McCain seem senile and like your worst Grandpa.

said Baierman on August 22, 2008 2:29 PM.

CLC_8, I just got here, sorry I didn't get here sooner, been a busy day today.

Douchbagery...

Better?

Oh, and I took my daily dump and I would like to report that it only has one house.

said Jeni Gump on August 22, 2008 2:37 PM.

I don't pretend to be some smart political analyst like a lot of the fine writers and commenters here, but can someone explain to me in simple, easy to understand words, how the hell on God's green Earth 21% of former Hilary Clinton supporters can actually come to the conclusion that voting for McCain is their next best choice? WTF is THAT all about?

said Scaramouch on August 22, 2008 2:41 PM.

Make McCain seem senile? Obama won't need to do much work then. McCain is doing a fine job without help from the Obama camp.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 22, 2008 2:42 PM.

They're probably racist Dems who would were gung ho about voting for a white woman but can't stomach a black man.

said Jeni Gump on August 22, 2008 2:44 PM.

I really don't know Boss. Hilary's hatchet jobs on Obama may have had more impact to her diehard supporters than most thought.

I haven't heard or read anything that makes sense of those polling numbers.

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 2:50 PM.

JW, you don't agree with my racist asshole theory?

said Jeni Gump on August 22, 2008 2:52 PM.

Oh, I didn't see that Jeni. I don't know. Possibly. I hope that if there is an element of racism it is very isolated. I hope.

I continue to naively hope that we as a country are moving beyond racism and bigotry.

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 2:58 PM.

I don't think we, nor the rest of the world, will ever not be racist. Avene Q said it best:

Princeton:
Say, Kate, can I ask you a question?

Sure!

Princeton:
Well, you know Trekkie Monster upstairs?

Uh huh.

Princeton:
Well, he's Trekkie Monster, and you're Kate Monster.

Right.

You're both Monsters.

Yeah.

Are you two related?

Kate Monster:
What?! Princeton, I'm surprised at you! I find that racist!

Princeton:
Oh, well, I'm sorry! I was just asking!

Kate Monster:
Well, it's a touchy subject.
No, not all Monsters are related.
What are you trying say, huh?
That we all look the same to you?
Huh, huh, huh?

Princeton:
No, no, no, not at all. I'm sorry,
I guess that was a little racist.

Kate Monster:
I should say so. You should be much more
careful when you're talking about the
sensitive subject of race.

Princeton:
Well, look who's talking!

What do you mean?

Princeton:
What about that special Monster School you told me about?

What about it?

Princeton:
Could someone like me go there?

Kate Monster:
No, we don't want people like you-

You see?!

You're a little bit racist.

Kate Monster:
Well, you're a little bit too.

Princeton:
I guess we're both a little bit racist.

Kate Monster:
Admitting it is not an easy thing to do...

But I guess it's true.

Between me and you,
I think

Both:
Everyone's a little bit racist
Sometimes.
Doesn't mean we go
Around committing hate crimes.
Look around and you will find
No one's really color blind.
Maybe it's a fact
We all should face
Everyone makes judgments
Based on race.

Princeton:
Now not big judgments, like who to hire
or who to buy a newspaper from -

Princeton:
No, just little judgments like thinking that Mexican
busboys should learn to speak goddamn English!

Right!

Both:
Everyone's a little bit racist
Today.
So, everyone's a little bit racist
Okay!
Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,
But you laugh because
They're based on truth.
Don't take them as
Personal attacks.
Everyone enjoys them -
So relax!

Princeton:
All right, stop me if you've heard this one.

Okay!

Princeton:
There's a plan going down and there's only
one paracute. And there's a rabbi, a priest...

And a black guy!

Gary Coleman:
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Kate?

Uh...

Gary Coleman:
You were telling a black joke!

Princeton:
Well, sure, Gary, but lots of people tell black jokes.

I don't.

Princeton:
Well, of course you don't - you're black!
But I bet you tell Polack jokes, right?

Gary Coleman:
Well, sure I do. Those stupid Polacks!

Princeton:
Now, don't you think that's a little racist?

Gary Coleman:
Well, damn, I guess you're right.

Kate Monster:
You're a little bit racist.

Gary Coleman:
Well, you're a little bit too.

Princeton:
We're all a little bit racist.

I think that I would
Have to agree with you.

Princeton/Kate Monster:
We're glad you do.

It's sad but true!
Everyone's a little bit racist -

All right!

All right!

All right!

All right!
Bigotry has never been
Exclusively white

All:
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
Even though we all know
That it's wrong,
Maybe it would help us
Get along.

Princeton:
Oh, Christ do I feel good.

Gary Coleman:
Now there was a fine upstanding black man!

Who?

Jesus Christ.

Kate Monster:
But, Gary, Jesus was white.

No, Jesus was black.

No, Jesus was white.

No, I'm pretty sure that Jesus was black-

Princeton:
Guys, guys...Jesus was Jewish!

Brian:
Hey guys, what are you laughing about?

Racism!

Brian:
Cool.

Christmas Eve:
BRIAN! Come back here!
You take out lecycuraburs!

What's that mean?

Brian:
Um, recyclables.
Hey, don't laugh at her!
How many languages do you speak?

Oh, come off it, Brian!
Everyone's a little bit racist.

Brian:
I'm not!

Oh no?

Brian:
Nope!

How many Oriental wives
Have you got?

Christmas Eve:
What? Brian!

Princeton:
Brian, buddy, where you been?
The term is Asian-American!

Christmas Eve:
I know you are no
Intending to be
But calling me Oriental -
Offensive to me!

Brian:
I'm sorry, honey, I love you.

Christmas Eve:
And I love you.

Brian:
But you're racist, too.

Christmas Eve:
Yes, I know.
The Jews have all
The money
And the whites have all
The power.
And I'm always in taxi-cab
With driver who no shower!

Me too!

Me too!

Gary Coleman:
I can't even get a taxi!

All:
Everyone's a little bit racist
It's true.
But everyone is just about
As racist as you!
If we all could just admit
That we are racist a little bit,
And everyone stopped being
So PC
Maybe we could live in -
Harmony!

Christmas Eve:
Evlyone's a ritter bit lacist!

From: http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/avenueq/everyonesalittlebitracist.htm

It's a sad truth... and chock full of douchebagery.

said Jeni Gump on August 22, 2008 3:01 PM.

All of this is laughable. Fricken McCain, Fricken Obama. Neither are in touch with reality. I love Obama trying to play the poor black man, and McCain trying to play the poor old man.
They will give to the American people what they have been selling and that is absolutely nothing.
People, we have got nothing.
However, If you are frustrated, looking for that light at the end of the tunnel, look through the darkness and you will see a flicker of hope. Look even deeper inside that hope you will see a man. That man is Me.
I can make you rich, powerful, beautiful, and happy.
Pass that up and you are a sucker.
Pass that up and my VP will pull out your toenails.

Don't be a fool.

Vote Dave.

If you are an American you can have sunny days ahead.
If you are British and live in America and Hate America. YOu are absolutely screwed.

I think you know who you are.

said Dave on August 22, 2008 3:03 PM.

Is Kevin Kline going to be your VP, Dave?

There we go off topic again...

said Baierman on August 22, 2008 3:11 PM.

You people are fucking retarded. There comes a point in life, for those of us who are lucky, at which you have enough money and or assets that someone else controls them for you.

It is downright hypocritical for someone who lives in a mansion and made $4 million last year (Barak Hussein Obama) to speak as if he is more in touch with middle America than his opponent (John McCain).

Taken out of context, this makes McCain seem senile and out of touch, but if you think about the reality of a situation where you are married to a multi-millionaire and really don't know where your equity lies, it is simply an honest answer.

How many houses does Nancy Pelosi own??? Barbara Boxer??? Both are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and I guarantee you that someone on each of their staffs spent hours coming up with the answer to that "how many houses" question in the past couple of days.

Give me a break. Obama is a immature primadonna and, if he keeps barking up the wrong trees, will be stomped backed to Chi-town come November.

said Trey on August 22, 2008 3:15 PM.

Senator McCain? Is that you?

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 3:19 PM.

The funny thing is, I bet Obama picks a old-timer running mate and McCain picks a young, hipster-doofus.

Obama is going to have a hard time in the South, but not as hard as Hillary would have had. You can't win the election without some support in the South.

... and Dave has the South locked up. Literally, he has them all locked up.

said Tim on August 22, 2008 3:24 PM.

How is the media taking this out of context Trey? There rarely is such a thing as out of context. It's a cliche. It's the celebrity going to rehab because they are suffering from "exhaustion."

"How many houses you own?" "I don't know." There's the context. McCain didn't know the answer and had to check with his staff.

If you really think that other politicians were scrambling to make sure they knew the answer to "how many homes you have," I think you may have lost the plot just a bit.

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 3:37 PM.

I work in finance and have dealt with MANY real estate investors that couldn't tell me off the top of their heads how many properties they own. Most of these types are doing pretty well, but they certainly aren't wealthy elitists either. Of course, its usually more like 15 plus properties rather than 7.

Also, there are many other details and loopholes that may have made the question more difficult to answer, i.e. investment groups, condos, multi-family residences to name a few. I can't see this being much of a factor down the road, in fact it seems like kind of a reach to hammer McSame on this.

And I've got news for everybody, if you're looking to elect a president that is NOT an wealthy, elitist, out of touch d-bag, then you better find someone else to run.

said curlyelk on August 22, 2008 3:45 PM.

Touche Curly. You crafty rascal, you.

JW

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 3:48 PM.

Vote for Dave

1.He's Wealthy
2.He's an Elitist
3.But he is not an out of touch Douche Bag.

said Dave on August 22, 2008 3:51 PM.

Trey: B-A-R-A-C-K made $4 milllion last year...and?

It doesn't matter who made what last year, and the McCain camp wasn't very bright for thinking it was a suitable rebut to their leader's gaffe. I really like the way they ask [in the Agador voice] "Does a man who lives in a mansion and made $4 Million dollars last year really want to debate this with McCain????" - I shot coffee through my nose. Really? Are we sweeping the S&L scandal under the rug altogether?

You can't take his statement, how he said it, or why he even said it 'out of context'. If you're a multi-millionare and you don't know where your equity lies, then you're a fucking idiot - and I'd LOVE to meet them!

And Obama 'stomped back to Chi-Town' ... it's the other way around. In November, Obama is gonna bend McCain over and violate him with Cindy's strap-on.

And please don't call me retarded either. It hurts, and each time I hear that I die a little bit inside, and my therapist said that I should confront the offenders.

Dave - don't worry man, I took my meds. No toenail pulling this time.

...but Leo - No for now, but keep a corner clear just in case.

Love,

The unfunny retarded hippie.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 22, 2008 3:56 PM.

Let's keep the shots above the belt, love.

said Johnny Wright on August 22, 2008 4:04 PM.

Okay. Sorry Reverend.

Trey, I'm sorry for aiming, swinging, kicking, putting the proverbial 'red dot' on, near, or toward your nuts. It was inappropriate, and simply not called for.

VOTE FOR DAVE!!
... and then he'll unlock the south.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 22, 2008 4:15 PM.

So McCain doesn't know how many homes he owns. Big deal. They're probably owned by his wife's side of the family anyway, and he really has nothing to do with it. This may put a dent in his 'I feel your pain and Obama is an elitist', but did anyone really buy that anyway? Who thought that McCain was pinching pennies like (most of) the rest of us?

Not that I'm a McCain supporter, mind you, I just think that the whole thing is an enormous disappointment. Typical election banter; nothing substantive. For the first time in my memory, there really isn't a decent candidate available on either side.

In all seriousness, I'm with Dave on this one. For the next four years, we are hosed. Not a damn thing will come of the next presidency.

I'm not a pessimist; just a realist. We haven't had a decent president in 25 years.

said Tim on August 22, 2008 4:15 PM.

Curley... These are not investment properties... These are just his "Homes". At last count it was 10 Homes worth some $13 Mil. Were talking about a guy who has ten houses worth over 1 Million Dollars... Not as an investment, just somewhere to stay between flights in his private jet.

What's notable is how McCain was able to live that way. McCain himself isn't actually rich. He just lives off the inherited wealth of his much younger former mistress and now-second-wife -- for whom he dumped his older and disfigured first wife -- and who then used her family's money to fund McCain's political career and keep him living in extreme luxury.

BTW, Cindy's family made their money selling beer... Makes Teresa's ketchup look downright wholesome in comparison.

In 2004 the right wingnuts took great pleasure in playing up Kerry as a Gigolo who lived off of his wife's fortune. Well, meet John McCain... He graduated 5th from the bottom of 800 cadets at the US Naval Academy, and really only finished due to the influence of his father, and then married a rich heiress to pay for his political career. His primary achievement was to get his plane shot down and be taken prisoner. Hardly something that required skill. And over 600 men were held as POW's in Vietnam, so McCain is not unique. Perhaps one of those other 599 men learned something from the experience and would be reluctant to put the young men of this generation and 4 others to come in McCain's 100 year occupation plan.

His solution for the economy? He thinks that the US should marry a wealthier country like Switzerland or Luxembourg.

said LostInDaJungle on August 22, 2008 4:19 PM.

Just a side note, McCain doesn't know a damn thing about hard times, he only spent 3 years in a pow camp.

said Dave on August 22, 2008 4:22 PM.

I mean 5 and a half years

said Dave on August 22, 2008 4:28 PM.

LostInDaJungle -

So, your message is 'an eye for an eye'?

Illustrates my point perfectly. The machines have all nuts in place and are running at full capacity.

said Tim on August 22, 2008 4:33 PM.

Tim - 'hipster-doofus'? A McCain/Julian CasasBlancas ticket would be formidable. He's already got the Heidi Montag endorsement.

(BTW, I thought it was 'hipster douche'. Whatever, you say tomato, I say tomahto.)

said E on August 22, 2008 4:34 PM.

An interesting account of John McCain's POW experience.
I may not like his policies, but I have to respect the hell out of him.

said Dave on August 22, 2008 4:42 PM.

Eye for an eye is one way to look at it... Goose and Gander would be another interpretation.

Much like the NFL where every successful gameplan gets copied, so it goes in politics. They're just playing the game... And the only rules are what we the people will stand. When the attacks on Kerry scored in 2004, we set ourselves up to hear them again in 2008. This attack is certainly getting more publicity than their lil' spat about offshore drilling... And by commenting in these threads we feed the beast. Even if they get you to say "I don't care", they still have your attention.

"For the first time in my memory, there really isn't a decent candidate available on either side. "

Really, how bad of a memory do you have? Bush/Kerry was a pretty crappy set of choices... Makes McCain/Obama look good. In the long run, a choice between Democrat and Republican is like your rapist asking if you prefer missionary or doggie style. You're going to get f***ed by the same bunch of d**ks no matter what. I will say that it's the first time in a long time that there hasn't even been a likable 3rd party candidate to vote for and bypass this entire Saddam/Not Saddam game that is the presidential election.

said LostInDaJungle on August 22, 2008 4:52 PM.

Lost - We could dance around this type of bullshit all day, but we'll still have two less than ideal candidates this November. The only thing this kind of politics does is fuel the fire for the Olberman's and the O'Reilly's of the world. Both candidates say whatever the hell they think will get them in office with little regard to the REAL politics and economic forces that drive this country. Is anybody still talking about Obama's 57 state gaffe? No. Because it doesn't matter. Neither does this.

said curlyelk on August 22, 2008 5:02 PM.

Okay, everyone write in Dave in November...

only problem is...we still don't know his real age (and every time I find a wolf to ask it gets distracted by a fluffy little dog it wants to name 'lunch')...

said sarcastic one on August 22, 2008 8:05 PM.

All in all, I have to say that I am pretty impressed that this thread hasn't degenerated into a bunch of blind name-calling in defense/support of one another's favorite candidate.

Scar: I guess that's all the proof you need that we are still a more sophisticated ..... errrr, more educated ..... errrr, different crowd than fark.com.

On a side note. As most of you know, I lived in Arizona for many years ... 25 to be exact. During most of that time, John McCain was state senator. While I can't speak for, or defend, the questionable claims or rhetoric that have been presented during his presidential campaign, I can say that during the time I lived in Arizona, he was always straightforward, hardworking and genuine. He is a good man, and a great American. Whether or not he will make a great president is for the country to decide. Question what you will about his campaign rhetoric, but don't question who he claims to be as an American. That is not an attack on Obama; just my opinion of McCain.

I take the pulpit and preach this sermon because a) not many people here on YBNBY can say they have lived in Arizona for 25 years, and b) I'm a bit of an ass. Still, it's my opinion that while Obama has the potential to be a great leader, McCain has shown that he already has been one.

My only question? Can he still be one.

said Tim on August 22, 2008 8:53 PM.

I'm not a McCain fanboy, but the "McCain is senile" meme is getting tiresome. He was a media darling back when he ran against W. Best thing since sliced bread. What changed? Both of the current candidates have made major gaffes in this election season. In fact, I dare say Obama Christ Superstar has made more. Also, it's amusing that any conversation about the candidates' homes has no mention of Tony Rezko. I have a very low tolerance for hypocrisy.

I would say "vote libertarian" but unfortunately we don't have a three-party system. Ok, now I'm depressed. Thanks, guys.

said Libertarian Will on August 22, 2008 10:21 PM.

Hussein Hussein Hussein! Oh trolls, why must you deliver so reliably?

Anyway, as far as how tiresome these little "gotcha" games are, tough. The Democrats have shrunk and failed in the face of these kind of attacks in election after election. In order to win this time, which is, by the by, really important, they need to respond hard and not be pushed around. They need to point out the lies and the hypocrisy. The Republicans will. To choose instead to take some imaginary "high road" and let the Republican machine prevail yet again is simply stupid.

The unfortunate truth is that negative campaigning works. It has worked incredibly well for the GOP. Turning the other cheek has not worked. This is the future of the country, not an academic debate. The Democrats have to do what they goddamn have to do to expose McCain and get to the business of repairing the damage.

The Democrats cannot rest on America's recognizing that McCain is an out of touch, doddering, war-happy crypt keeper because America, to its great shame, is enormously racist. It's going to take everything the Democrats have got to fight against the pervasive, if sometimes under-the-radar, prejudice in this country. There is a huge segment of the population who would choose another Republican term and more war, more death, more abandonment of the poor and disadvantaged, over the challenge to their ingrained sense of things that a Black person as president represents.

People are so uncomfortable with this degree of change that they would, if left alone in the anonymous shelter of the voting booth, choose war over a person of color. It's antithetical to the supposed ideals of courage and creativity and rebellion against the status quo that Americans like to believe they hold dear. And completely pathetic.

said myrtle on August 23, 2008 7:39 PM.

"People are so uncomfortable with this degree of change that they would, if left alone in the anonymous shelter of the voting booth, choose war over a person of color".

You're speaking for yourself myrtle.

said E on August 23, 2008 8:43 PM.

I'm speaking for the large segment of the country that I believe has the very real potential of experiencing a last minute surge of white fear in the voting booth, but wouldn't consider themselves, or at least admit to, being racist. It's a real thing.

said myrtle on August 23, 2008 9:50 PM.

Myrtle - Are you saying that there is a 'large segment of the country' that believes Obama is the right choice, supports Obama by giving time and money contributions to his campaign, maybe even goes to rallies and is shown on the nightly news in support of him ... but when the get to the anonymity of the phone booth, they won't cast their vote for him because they don't have the guts to do it?

said Tim on August 23, 2008 10:28 PM.

Not you though right myrtle?

said E on August 23, 2008 10:36 PM.

He owns none. His wife owns all their property, according to their prenup. It's as ridiculous a gotcha as Obama's connection to Rezko.

We'd all be better off ignoring such political tactics.

said bobaloo on August 24, 2008 1:06 AM.

@Tim: No. Active supporters are most likely active supporters. I'm talking about people that don't like the war, don't like the past eight years, don't think McCain will do anything different, but will, when the rubber meets the road or whatever, not be comfortable voting for a Black man. Because he's Black.

There's a spectrum in this country spanning from the truly colorblind to the overtly and unapologetically racist. I believe that a big hazy middle section of this spectrum hosts people that would not call themselves racist, but nonetheless harbor a discomfort with people of color on some level, to the extent that this discomfort will inform their actions in the voting booth, whether consciously or not.

@ E: Feel free to respond to or challenge any of my points.

said myrtle on August 24, 2008 4:28 PM.

Myrtle, your not making much of a point. Some people are racist and won't vote for Obama for that reason. So what? Obviously you want us to know how superior you are to them. Good for you. Some people might make an affirmative case for their candidates though.

said E on August 24, 2008 5:19 PM.

Vote for Obama - the only way to prove your not a racist.

said E on August 24, 2008 5:24 PM.

Actually, I made several, mostly about how the Dems must not shy away from the tactics that many of us find distasteful, all leading up to the reason I believe those tactics are crucial.

As to that final point, you seem to agree. I'm not sure what my pointing out the pervasive texture of racism in this country has to do with your contention that all I want to do is act superior. I can only assume you are resorting to snide dismissals because you're not actually interested in my points. That's fine, but I'm not sure why you're bothering to respond, then.

If you want to have a discussion, I'm game. But I'm not going to do the insult thing.

said myrtle on August 24, 2008 5:46 PM.

"It's antithetical to the supposed ideals of courage and creativity and rebellion against the status quo that Americans like to believe they hold dear. And completely pathetic."

Sounds like an insult to me.

said E on August 24, 2008 6:08 PM.

I was naive in trying to appeal to the notion of legitimate discourse. However much you've ignored the points I was hoping to engage, you've made yours loud and clear. Have fun.

said myrtle on August 24, 2008 6:41 PM.

'legitimate discourse' means people who disagree with you are 'pathetic' and should acknowledge being so, while you claim not to be interested in insulting people. Got it. Thanks for the learning experience, so very sad you can't see in the mirror though. Truly, truly pathetic.

said E on August 26, 2008 12:57 AM.

Hey Myrtle. You thought other people were 'pathetic' for some reason and you never could say why.

I'm very glad Obama took the high road and didn't follow your advice.

You are welcome and apology accepted!

said E on February 27, 2009 2:36 AM.