In-N-Out Out Here
in_n_out_ybnby.jpg
I was out on the West Coast last week, not so much for work but for the burgers. Conveniently located at the entrance to LAX, the In-N-Out Burger is usually my first and last stop in L.A. The problem is, you won't find an In-N-Out Burger east of Arizona and something needs to be done to change that.

Here is my open letter to In-N-Out Burger, pleading for them to open a franchise in New York City.

Dear Lynsi Martinez, Owner of In-N-Out Burger,
I'm writing to you on behalf of the entire city of New York. We are a city of hamburgers. We take pride in their uniqueness and often hold contests to determine which is the best. And we have some great ones. (The Burger Joint, Corner Bistro, Shake Shack, etc...) But there is something special about the In-N-Out Burger. Perhaps it's the sweet Pacific air that gives the burgers their taste. It could be the simplistic, though heavily studied (and modified) menu. Whatever the case, I want, nay, I NEED more of what you're serving.

With gas prices spiraling out of control, and my bosses slowly catching on to my "highly important" trips out to Los Angeles, I'm not sure I can afford many more flights out to California. And while the thought of moving, for a burger, has crossed my mind, I have a debilitating fear of earthquakes. And so, I've devised a solution.

Open an In-N-Out Burger in Manhattan.

Take a moment. Read that sentence again. Feel it. You're coming around aren't you? In-N-Out Burger has been on a Walmartian spread our of Southern California for decades, and it's time to make that jump. Head to Manhattan and I can guarantee you high sales throughout the entire year. At the very least, you'll have one person eating there every day. I'd even be willing to leave my highly successful job as an Advertising Executive to work on the janitorial staff at the restaurant.

New York has a crowded burger market, but it's time to define the clear winner. Don't do it for you. Don't do it for the kids. Do it for me.

Sincerely,
Echowood

Amen Echo. Born and raised in Los Angeles, I grew up on those delicious burgers. I miss them terribly (I've relocated). Nothing compares to them, however Five Guys are trying to give them a serious run for their money. They'll have to do until In-N-Out makes its way to the East Coast.

said ConservaLiberCrat_08 on August 11, 2008 10:12 AM.

Please, Ms. Martinez. Please. We don't ask for much here in Manhattan.

I'm begging you.

said Johnny Wright on August 11, 2008 10:32 AM.

Not to make you feel any worse, but I heard that In N Out won't build where they can't grow palm trees.
Just part of the Logo.
Building East coast would be like Metallica Cutting thier hair and quitting booze.
It may happen, but it would just be selling out.

said Dave on August 11, 2008 11:42 AM.

This is Dave.
This is Dave pissing all over my parade.

Thanks Dave.

said Echowood on August 11, 2008 11:56 AM.

Hey ya know, stranger things have happened. Perhaps they will evolve into an eastern version of In N out. They could call it "In N Wait the rest of the night for your Burger."

This is Dave pissing on your parade.
This is Dave Trying to stop mid-stream.
This is Dave Realising that it's really hard to stop pissing mid-stream.
This is Dave Continuing to piss on your parade.

This is Dave apologising.

Sorry Echo. I'll eat an IN N OUT burger with freshly cut potato french fries for you.

This is Dave
this is Dave trying to stop the piss mid-strea

said Dave on August 11, 2008 12:05 PM.

In Arizona, I lived 3 miles from an IN N OUT. It was awesome, but always PACKED. Trying the navigate the place before 2pm was a nightmare, so usually took a late lunch on burger day. It was a religious experience. I savored the moment as if were Kim Cattrell in the locker room of East German gymnastics team.

For some reason, I left Arizona and moved East. Unfortunately, the IN N OUT location that I used to visit in Arizona remains the nearest ... a mere 2000 more miles away.

In sympathy, Echo ...

said Tim on August 11, 2008 2:14 PM.

The most important thing to know about Phoenix is that everything there..plants, animals, minerals, Sheriff's department, is doing it's damndest to kill you.

You don't move away from Phoenix, you escape.

But, oh my lord, I do likes me some In-N-Out

said Jeff on August 11, 2008 2:56 PM.

I've always heard it had more to do with the proximity to their headquarters and what not; you know, refusing to freeze their food to ship/store it kind of limits their reach. That doesn't make branching out an impossible feat, but it means there's a lot more to it than just popping up an east coast store or two.

(As someone moving back to NC from the West Coast next week, I feel your pain...)

said monolithik on August 11, 2008 5:31 PM.

Born and raised in Southern California I'm always surprised when people make a big deal about In N Out. It makes me appreciate it though when I do, I guess I have just never experienced life without an In N Out being more than a drive away. I would hate for them to expand and end up like Krespe Kreme did, everyone wanted it and when it happened it just died. Good point on the palm tree thing Dave, their signature for every restaurant is 2 crossed palm trees in the parking lot but I have faith in manhattan, they can do anything so I wouldn't be surprised to see them import palms trees and set up heat lamps for them haha. Would you be willing to do that Echo?

said Jarred on August 11, 2008 6:18 PM.

The heat lamps for palm trees is a novel idea, unfortunately, the sun wouldn't be the big problem.
I have heard that Rats love the roots and bark of palm trees.
A couple of heated palm trees would in NYC would last about as long as Scaramouche at a fourth of July Parade.
J/K, Scar. Iv'e missed your Talibanic presence.
Lked that e on the end of your name didn't ya..

said Dave on August 11, 2008 7:03 PM.

I lived in San Diego for 10 years, I moved to St Louis and had not had an in-n-out in so long. Not only do I have to suffer with the suck "St Louis" style pizza, no good burgers!

Not to mention Rubios....or all the local "ends in an o" taco shops (Alberto's, Roberto's, etc)

said Friggan on August 11, 2008 10:06 PM.

Funny, I actually sent an email to Dick's Hamburgers in Washington State last weekend making a similar request for expansion. Dick's Hamburgers on Broadway in Seattle is not unlike In and Out as far as slanging tasty burgers made from fresh ingredients.
Fast food as it should be!

said chad on August 11, 2008 10:28 PM.

Having a In-N-Out on the east coast would be heresy, New Yorkers don't deserve a burger this good, let them suffer with their crap White Castle sliders and greasy pizza. In-N-Out is a West Coast thing, we don't export. Hell, I think Portland and Seattle should have gotten a few before the Arizona (Orange County for desert rats, how's the surf posers?) And the Mormons with their flyover state, why did they get bestowed with one? They can't even drink a coke with the burger!

said Dodger Blue on August 11, 2008 10:39 PM.

And where's the love for Fatburger and Bob's Big Boy?

said dodgerblue on August 11, 2008 11:32 PM.

Grew up on the east coast.
Moved to California - discovered IN N OUT.
Moved back east - have college roomates ship IN N OUT in dry ice once a month.

I heard there is an IN N OUT in Virginia Beach, VA???

said zach on August 12, 2008 10:57 AM.

Mmmm...four-by-four animal style...thanks, Echo. I think I may stroll the quarter mile from my condo to In-N-Out for dinner tonight.

said longcoat000 on August 13, 2008 6:41 PM.

I moved to DC 6months ago from san diego and ever since I got here I've been having cravings for in-n-out!!! I went back to sd a few months ago for a weekend and the first thing I did after getting off the plane was going to in-n-out and having a delicious cheeseburger!!! I really didn't appreciate the delciousness of in-n-out enough when I lived in sd (socal girls always dieting!!!)!!! Five Guys is good and all but it definetely does not compare to in-n-out!!! I heart in-n-out!!

said Angelica on September 16, 2008 4:59 PM.