This thing is gonna be huge

As Apple fans everywhere get their hands on the new iPhone, I remember back to when the original iPod was first announced (video embedded above). At the time I absolutely remember thinking "An MP3 player? How disappointing".

Luckily I'm not alone in being "The Man Who Didn't See The Future", as this thread from the macrumors forum shows as Apple fans give their first reaction to Steve's "One more thing..."

Some great comments on this page:

All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.
trully revolutionary MY ASSSS!
Think Different is dead.
Steve Jobs is under terrible consuling or is under too much pot. This propusal is not realistic at all. If Apple does something like this again is going down.
Won't last. Another Cube.
Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player.

I am really tempted to get this new phone when my current cell contract expires but i read the AT&T raised the prices by $10 a month for the new iphone and now makes you pay for texting. iPhone may be cheaper but the service isn't.

At&T service reviews anyone?

said Baierman on July 11, 2008 3:10 PM.

What's your point? Is the iPod a good product or not? I still have never seen one outside of the stores.

I saw an iPhone once.

said Miss Cellania on July 11, 2008 3:54 PM.

Sorry, Miss C, I forgot you don't actually live in civilized society. Take an NYC subway car any weekday morning and you'll be completely surrounded by white earbuds.

said Scaramouch on July 11, 2008 4:26 PM.

Yeah, I remember watching the unveiling and was underwhelmed. I was like "that's it? That stupid looking thing? Who the hell is going to buy that thing?"

I even thought the name was too weird.

So little I know.

said Botunda on July 12, 2008 7:25 PM.

what?!? the are places where the ipod don't roam? never heard that before, hell cant even imagine it. where is it that you live Cellania?

said etantao on July 12, 2008 8:28 PM.

i got the first iphone after they announced the rebate and my roommate has had att service for years. he swears that the service has been getting increasingly worse each month and esp. with all the new iphone/att customers its not the most reliable service as they advertise. ive complained to them about dropped calls and they've offered anywhere from 25-100$, but coming from verizon, i can't say ive ever had great phone service.

said rilla on July 14, 2008 3:47 PM.