Is John McCain Eligible To Be President?
John McCain.jpgJohn McCain may be forced out of the 2008 Presidential race on a technicality.

The New York Times ran an article yesterday detaling how Senator McCain may be DQ'd because he was born in The Panama Canal Zone in 1936. (It was tempting to make an "1836 joke" there but I resisted.) As every fourth grader knows, to be elected President you must a "natural born citizen."

Otherwise Arnold Schwarzenegger would be President.

From the Times:
The analysis, by Prof. Gabriel J. Chin, focused on a 1937 law that has been largely overlooked in the debate over Mr. McCain's eligibility to be president. The law conferred citizenship on children of American parents born in the Canal Zone after 1904, and it made John McCain a citizen just before his first birthday. But the law came too late, Professor Chin argued, to make Mr. McCain a natural-born citizen.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle...

All the right-wing blogs are saying the same thing about Obama, he's not natural-born either.

said YourMama on July 12, 2008 10:39 AM.

It appears that is not true. Obama was born in Hawaii.

We'll see how it plays out.

said Johnny Wright on July 12, 2008 10:48 AM.

McCain is a natural-born citizen because his parents were US citizens. Children born abroad of US military, expats who retain citizenship, and tourists have always been US citizens.

McCain is not qualified to be president because he is totally out of touch with the rest of us American citizens.

said Miss Cellania on July 12, 2008 11:17 AM.

yawn...is this the best the Dumocrats can come up with?

said Hat Removal on July 12, 2008 3:33 PM.

Damn. Thats' some serious hair splitting in the article. I hate that legalistic stuff, you can never define anything well enough to cover exactly what you mean.

I'll second Miss Cellania's opinion on his qualifications.

said E on July 12, 2008 5:33 PM.

Yep, it's pretty vague and I doubt anything will actually happen.

But IF McCain was ruled ineligible to run it would be a comedy story of epic proportions.

said Johnny Wright on July 12, 2008 5:51 PM.

Apparently Prof. Gabriel J. Chin has too much free time on his hands as his arguement is pretty lame.

said David G on July 12, 2008 7:03 PM.

does it even matter? after 8 stolen years of bush this mummy version of him has a very small chance of going the distance even more so against such a promising newcomer.

said etantao on July 12, 2008 8:06 PM.

There's a promising newcomer?

said Tim on July 12, 2008 8:52 PM.

Some might define the term "natural-born citizen" as one who was born on United States soil. But the First Congress, on March 26, 1790, approved an act that declared, "The children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens of the United States."

said Louie j on July 13, 2008 2:54 AM.

I think we are Jacked either way. Might as well throw Jesse Jackson in there.

At first I liked McCain because he wasn't going to take away my guns, and the fact that he is a War hero.

Now that the supreme court has ruled on the second ammendment, I don't have to worry about my guns.

That doesn't change the fact that McCain was a war hero. Read the POW documents on McCain and tell me he not a hero, and I'll call you a liar.
Unfortunately, that's all he's got going for him, his policies blow.

Obama, hell, he has nothing to offer. What has he done for America?
His policies blow as bad as McCain's.

With McCain, at least I don't have to worry about his love for America. Fricken Obama, what the hell? If I'm perfectly honest with myself, I have to admit that I do question his patriotism.

What has he done for America?
Give me something?

said Dave on July 13, 2008 9:49 AM.

Off the top of my head, Barry Goldwater was born in the Arizona Territory and George Romney was born in Mexico. Nobody raised a fuss

said robt on July 13, 2008 12:23 PM.

Who is he trying to imitate in that picture btw? Is that Yosemite Sam?

said E on July 13, 2008 10:13 PM.

I think McCain should pick Obama as his running mate. That would really screw things up. Their party platform should consist of criminalizing Nabisco Wheat Thins.

said Don't Swayze Bro on July 14, 2008 11:01 AM.