Pass the sugar

donuts.jpg

I just got back from a short trip to my local Dunkin Donuts. It's been a trying morning already, and I was in need of a sugar fix to boost my morale. It's been a couple of weeks since my last Donut binge, and so I was pretty taken aback to see all the donuts in DD are now labelled - large and clear - with their calorie content, apparently due to a new NYC law.

WTF? Look, logically I know in my head that a corn muffin is 500 calories, but I really don't want you to smack that across my head when I'm just looking for a sweet treat. Ugh, this isn't about denial, it's just another example of the health nazis trying to criticize my lifestyle choices. BACK OFF, I DO NOT WISH TO BE INFORMED. IGNORANCE BREEDS CONTENTMENT! LONGEVITY WITHOUT INDULGENCE IS A MEANINGLESS EXISTENCE!

Grrrr. Now I need another donut.

Yeah that's a bit overboard.

said E on June 23, 2008 1:25 PM.

Your tax dollars at work! Passing on the cost to the customers! Yowza!

I miss the simple days when Styrofoam McDonalds packaging drifted gently in the breeze...

said Trailwaze on June 23, 2008 3:52 PM.

Good for them. They should post the saturated fat content too.

said zenpunk on June 23, 2008 3:59 PM.

On the plus side, black coffee should have damn near 0 calories.

said E on June 23, 2008 4:26 PM.

Yes, but soon there will be warnings for the caffeen content....

said Trailwaze on June 23, 2008 4:48 PM.

Those donuts look like excrement.

said RM on June 23, 2008 6:01 PM.

I was just in DD - it's wild that the muffins, which I would think are better for me, have way more calories than most donuts. You're better off getting a glazed donut than a blueberry muffin. Heck you're better off with a big mac than most of their muffins.

said Baierman on June 24, 2008 11:10 AM.

This is all well and good for a national chain, but how's a Mom and/or Pop pizza place supposed to figure out the calorie content of their dishes?

said Sofar on June 24, 2008 7:31 PM.

IGNORANCE BREEDS CONTENTMENT!

this is how George Bush is fucking the world up starting with you people.
God forbid you actually are informed, critical thinking citizens.
The Japanese Cos. are now enforcing waist sizes for employes and there family members that are coverd under the health plan. That's too extreme of course but there's a healthy middle ground. You people are eating more than your share of the world's food. Wake up and stop complaining that at least the NY gov is trying to help you to be healthier and, as such, less of a potential drain on the medical system/economy.
/rant

said bb on June 24, 2008 8:00 PM.

Good observation Baierman. I think it's because muffins aren't as obviously sweet as glazed donuts that make them seem healthy. They use a lot of butter when making muffins and that adds up quick. Guess thats a plus to having the calories listed.

said E on June 24, 2008 8:54 PM.

bb,
If you're dumb enough to think donuts are healthy, maybe you should eat it, die earlier, and make the species stronger. I've never met anyone ignorant enough to think that donuts are bastions of nutritional value. It is fairly easy to be an informed citizen without obtuse government legislation.

said Steve B on June 25, 2008 1:37 PM.

First of all, the selection of doughnuts hasn't change much over the last ten or twenty years. And like most people, you probably have a favorite. Why do you even need to look in the showcase?? Just walk up to the counter and order what you want, if perchance your favorite is not available, just name your second or your third favorite. They'll bound to have one of the three.

But then you're pr0bably the loser that stands in front of the McDonald's menu pondering what looks good. People, there really isn't a lot of choices on the McD menu. And I'm sure you can name them without looking...at least I guess you can. But then I might be giving you more credit than you deserve. Hey...is that your trailer being tossed around by one of 'em tornadios?!?

said Heckenpeckenpaw on June 25, 2008 9:13 PM.

Pretty soon there will be no room left for anything but the brand of smokes your smoking because the government is going to require a list of ingredients there also.

Honestly... if some dickwad doesn't know that DD has a shit load of calories in them and dies of a heart attack from eating to many, he deserves to die. It's kinda like the pic of a blow dryer and bathtub with a giant X over it on blow driers or the CAUTION HOT BEVERAGE ditty that's on all coffee cups now. Natural selection, Darwin Awards winner, call then what you want. Die already so we don't have to deal with this nonsense.

said Jeni Gump on July 2, 2008 1:10 PM.