Strange Mail

I hate direct mail and normally toss the stuff but this package got my eye with its red seal. So I bit and opened it. This is what was inside.

codemail.jpg

I stared at it for a while and tried to find some hidden meaning. I Googled the initials in the logo, tb, but all I got were links to tuberculosis and I doubt someone's going to go through all this expense to send me blind mailers about a disease. I have no idea what it is about. I guess it could be some kind of puzzle or clue I'm supposed to decode but, honestly, I suck at those.

But now I'm annoyed and curious. Anybody else get one in the mail? Or know what it means? Whatever it is, someone went through a lot of effort to get my attention. And if the goal was to get me to post about it, I guess they succeeded. Hopefully it's not some new hair transplant drug, cause I fell for that mailer once before and now I have toes like Chewbacca.

(5/23/08 - People seem to be calling this the Red Seal Game if you're searching for clues.)

cuniform much?

said m on May 21, 2008 10:49 PM.

Nope, never heard of cuniform. But thanks for the lead.

said Baierman on May 21, 2008 11:38 PM.

Indeed...where is an ancient Sumerian when you need one?

said TDB on May 21, 2008 11:42 PM.

He might be right:

said Scaramouch on May 22, 2008 12:30 AM.

i think it means you are entered into battle royal

said jake on May 22, 2008 12:30 AM.

"In thy eternal resting place, golden soul shine/shone (?). For mother's paternal warmth, light the heart and bury the bones of the father."

don't know if this is correct

was the mail sent to your name?

said jake on May 22, 2008 1:47 AM.

appears to be Akkadian Cuneiform.

said Andy on May 22, 2008 2:01 AM.

It definitely looks like Cuniform.

Regardless, when/if you figure it out you've got to share! I'm ridiculously curious.

said Sofia on May 22, 2008 5:07 AM.

Fortunately you have a reader that can translate this for you.

Line one:

Dear Sir, Congatulations! You have been pre-approved for the

Line two:

Chase Virtual Rewards Credit card.

Line three:

At this time you can transfer balances at a low APR of 10%*

Line four

*(average daily balance method).

said Dave on May 22, 2008 9:28 AM.

Anyone notice that the seal looks like Antarctica?

said Hotchman on May 22, 2008 9:47 AM.

how very curious. i wish i got mail this cool.

said cranberryzero on May 22, 2008 9:47 AM.

Jake, I don't know if what you wrote is right, (I'm still trying to decode it myself) but it feels like it might be. I've decided this mailer is probably a teaser and they'll be more to come. I'm guessing it's more of a clue and what you wrote feels "mysterious" enough to entice the people who receive it.

Yeah it was sent in my name.

said Baierman on May 22, 2008 9:49 AM.

If this is somehow tied to the LOST season finale I'm not going to be happy.

said Baierman on May 22, 2008 10:54 AM.

A friend of mine got one of these last night. Looks like different writing on his. He's into horror movies and subscribes to fangoria. I'm thinking this is some sort or marketing for a movie or game.

said J dub on May 22, 2008 12:26 PM.

I just got this in the mail, but the writing is definitely different. Mine looks much more Asian. I almost thought there are hidden letters in the circular wheel, but I just don't have the time to examine this today. Kudos to who dreamed this up though. It definitely grabbed my attention.

said Jon Merz on May 22, 2008 2:45 PM.

I got one and have a Fangoria subscription as well. You could be on to something.

said Zach on May 22, 2008 3:11 PM.

Interesting.... I do not have a subscription to Fangoria, do you Miss C?

said Baierman on May 22, 2008 3:27 PM.

Do you have any other subscriptions? This guy said he's got a subscription to sci-fi as well.

said J dub on May 22, 2008 3:33 PM.

I get Wired, Time, CMJ - those are probably the relevant ones. Other things I get are trade magazines.

said Baierman on May 22, 2008 4:03 PM.

In addition to Fangoria, I get Game Informer and Bicycling. That's pretty much it.

The only other possible connection I can think of it NIN. I've ordered plenty of stuff through the website w/ my home address for billing.

said Zach on May 22, 2008 11:04 PM.

has any one translated the stamp?

said jake on May 23, 2008 1:59 AM.

I spent quite a bit of time (too much really) working on the stamp last night. The 3 letter combinations appear to be:

OTN
OMC
SCO
SEC
ESN
EON
OTN

In pairs, take the unmatched letters and you get (taking OTN as start/finish):

OTNANEVERMOCSE

There's a lot of combinations in there. Sos far, not much that makes sense. The best I've come up with so far is TONES NEVER CAME.

I'm gonna try to work on some of the individual letters for a bit.

said Zach on May 23, 2008 4:27 PM.

I got a similar letter. It's also Cuneiform script, but different characters. I'm as perplexed as everyone else. I do get Wired, but it actually was sent to a previous address and not the one my subscription currently goes to.

said Francis Scudellari on May 24, 2008 3:36 AM.

Was watching this last night, really fun. There's a live "gatekeeper" at revenantones.com (or was last night) that you have to get by, but I don't think anyone has yet.

The most interesting thing is watching the ARG players solve the puzzle over here:

said Scaramouch on May 24, 2008 10:10 AM.

In Reply To Zack May 24

The Letters Spell Out A Web Site reventones.com more info at bloodcopy.com

said cab on May 28, 2008 1:50 AM.

exactly wat zach said but is it real

said alex on June 4, 2008 9:23 AM.

So glad to find y'all. I got one too--looks very similar to the one above. I speent hours using various Akkadian cuneiform sites, but the archaic language is too complex for this little brain. LOL

And yes--I get Wired magazine, too--actually, the only magazine I'm currently subscribed to. However, my name is spelled differently on this vellum envelope than it is on the magazine subscription label.

said Ronie on June 6, 2008 10:19 PM.

I was examining the sites because I got caught up in the whole thing. My husband examined the site for half a minute then pulled up the source code. The 3 sites (bloodcopy, revenantones, and chishio.jp) all have mention of HBO in the code if you scroll down.

said Laura on June 10, 2008 10:52 PM.

I think some other sites have figured out this mail has something to do with the new HBO series True Blood (vampire show) - so your husband is right on the money.

said Baierman on June 10, 2008 10:56 PM.

I am am HBO and Fangoria subscriber, and I'm on this mailing too! They must have cross referenced us somehow! Makes sense though...

said IrishLass240 on June 14, 2008 12:02 PM.

Always happy to help an IrishLass!

said Baierman on June 16, 2008 1:32 PM.

Or, you are a very influencial, important person. There may be some people who get this mail that are HBO subscribers, some who are into horror/sci-fi stuff (magazines) and some who are just freaking cooler than everyone else - the trend-setters like us. That's what I keep telling myself.

said Baierman on June 16, 2008 1:34 PM.

Hey… bet you didn’t know we built and designed the accompanying site for this campaign! no robots, aliens are cars… maybe we need a vampire collection tee next?!

said chopshop on July 18, 2008 4:23 PM.

Chopshop. Well done. You make the tee, we'll sell it and share the profits 60-40.

said Baierman on July 18, 2008 5:09 PM.

I'm so late in the game....we got the same type of letter (thought it was Phoenician characters) in the mail. Yep, we subscribe to Fangoria.

said cultfilms on August 13, 2009 5:11 AM.

When did you get this letter cultfilms?
Recently?

The whole thing turned out to be a promotion for HBO's True Blood.

said Baierman on August 13, 2009 11:28 AM.