Further Proof Hollywood Is Out Of Ideas
wolverines.jpg

The Hollywood Reporter brought word of yet another 1980's remake today. That of campy cult classic Red Dawn.

Remember that beauty? A rag-tag group of high schoolers takes on Soviet and Cuban forces armed with hunting rifles and six shooters. It was Lawrence of Arabia, except with the Brat Pack and RPG Missile Launchers.

The real problem here is that there is no more Cold War. Who is Zack Efron and Mischa Barton going to battle in the American wilderness? Al-Qaeda? I don't think that is going to work.

Another issue is film audiences are no longer going to buy a military power being upended by a high school football team's linebacking corp.

I actually miss the Cold War. I liked having good guys and bad guys. Rocky didn't just fight Ivan Drago, he boxed communism. It was more fun. Especially in the Olympics. You knew who you were rooting for. Plus, the East German woman's swim team was hilarious. Those broads were built like bulldozers. Good times.

If this trend continues, and you can bet your boots it will, I'm really looking forward to the remakes of Over the Top, Adventures in Babysitting, and Gymkata.

Wolverines!!!

Wolverines!!!
Any word if Swayze will be back to star in the film?

said Baierman on May 20, 2008 3:16 PM.

Bringing up Red Dawn really touches a soft spot in my heart. I make it a point to watch Red Dawn at least once every two months. It reminds me of a better time.
Johnny, the cold war can still be alive in your heart if you let it. You just have to let it.
There is a part in the movie when the two boys visit their father in a prison camp and as they walk away the dad yells "AVENGE ME! AVENGE ME!"
I tear up everytime I see that part. I think that he was not only talking to his boys, but to us as an audience amd nation.
I'm still mad at the Russians for invading us and putting those boys through the hell that they went through. I don't think the nation really realizes that if it wasn't for Patrick Swayze we'd be speaking Russian right now.
When Rocky yelled, "If you can change, and I can change, WE ALL CAN CHANGE!" I just sat there as a little boy and looked up at my dad and said, "Dad, I aint ever gonna change." My dad just patted me on the head and said, "told you Rocky was a homo."

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

said Dave on May 20, 2008 3:24 PM.

Oh man, the "avenge me" scene. What young man didn't get fired up at that?

Swayze better at least have a cameo.

"Because, we live here!!!"

I love Red Dawn.

said Johnny Wright on May 20, 2008 3:32 PM.

Red Dawn remake, really? Geez. I remember how terrified I was, though, when I first saw that in 6th grade -- not only could Soviet planes get through our airspace without so much as a radar blip, but apparently the first targets assigned to their paratroopers were suburban public schools.

Oh, and...Gymkata? Was that the one where Famous Gymnast Guy has to escape from the mountains or something, and ends up having to battle his way out of a village of, uh, special people?!

said Jeem on May 20, 2008 3:33 PM.

Clink on the Gymkata link and watch the trailer. You won't believe your eyes.

said Johnny Wright on May 20, 2008 3:43 PM.

So you're telling me that a group of kids can take down a Soviet-allied occupation force? What's next, some kids in the Pacific Northwest find a treasure map, run through a series of booby-trapped caves while being pursued by escaped convicts, and, with the help of the convicts' mentally challenged sibling, discover a pirate ship hidden in a rock filled with jewels and gold?

Not likely my friend, not likely.

said Echowood on May 20, 2008 4:20 PM.

Of course not, that's just kooky talk.

I mean, how would the map or the story get out? What are you gonna do, find a map on your parents attic? Silly, just silly.

I did hear a true story that a picked on kid found a magical book, goes into another world and rides a flying dog or something. It's a long story. It never ends.

said Johnny Wright on May 20, 2008 4:26 PM.

E.E. Knight proposed a few months ago that Red Dawn be remade...as a musical. Look for stage directions and lyrics in the comments.

said Don't Swayze Bro on May 20, 2008 4:48 PM.

I think Swayze is on his last leg. Heard he has pancreas cancer. I don't think you walk away from that. American hero/Dirty Dancer or not. The good thing is his Ghost will always be with us as long as Whoopi Goldberg is around. (Which totally leads me off the subject but is Whoopi a Jew?)
Pat Swayze...One bad muther.

said Dave on May 20, 2008 6:12 PM.

All I have to say is I wanna be the first in line for Gymkata II - Electric Boogaloo.

(That link was nice. Loved it when the guys eyes jump out of his head when the chic whips out the switch blade.)

said E on May 20, 2008 8:22 PM.

"film audiences are no longer going to buy a military power being upended by a high school football team's linebacking corp.'

They didn't buy it back then, either. It was a kid's movie, and any remake will have to be for another generation of kids.

said Miss Cellania on May 20, 2008 8:25 PM.

Cheers, pal.

Thanks for reading.

JW

said Johnny Wright on June 1, 2008 10:25 PM.

But will this pale in comparison to the new 90210?

said Jeni Gump on June 28, 2008 11:14 PM.