Lunch Hour Veg

perttumetalcamp.jpg

Get your dose of culture today by listening to some folks play the cello. Trust me on this, you'll find something here you like. You have ten artists to select from.

Break of Reality

Melo-M and the Liepaja Symphony Orchestra (of Latvia)

The Cellonator

Stringfever

Apocalyptica

Tina Guo

Kenneth (ya gotta start them early)

Dr. Cello

Cellofourte

Ethan Winer

If you liked this story, you might also like...

no no no no no. what are they doing to those cellos? the kid at least probably had no choice in the matter, but the rest of them should be ashamed. a cello should never be plugged into anything. nor should there ever be a hippy drum anywhere nearby. a double bassist can get away with this but cellists should never attempt anything like this. if they really really feel the need, at least don't let them move their heads around like rock stars. just do me that favor. for the love of god please.

said please make it stop on April 15, 2008 8:15 PM.

Well aren't we an elitist? Why does everything have to be done exactly the same way as it's been done for hundreds of years? You think famous people hundreds of years ago got to where they were doing anything the same way as everyone else? What about a more contemporary yet classic example? What about Jacqueline du Pré ? She moved her head about and is considered one of the finest cellists ever! Or lets move away from music to dance? What about Martha Graham? She definitely did things differently and was well rewarded for it. Or perhaps Jackson Pollack? Or Pablo Picasso? Just because you think of the cello as an elitist fuddy duddy instrument doesn't mean people can't take the instrument and it's music to levels of new interpretation.

said Scullygirl78 on April 16, 2008 8:37 AM.

Very cool stuff. But my favorite cello solo from a rock song has to be the Indigo Girls' live version of Neil Young's "Down by the River." Seriously. It's on the 1200 Curfews album. Check it out.

said mac on April 16, 2008 12:57 PM.

Maybe check out Jorane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorane) singer and cellist from Quebec. Very trippy stuff. I saw her live recently and she alternates between the bow and doghouse-bass-style plucking. All while singing in both officials languages standing and dancing.

said tiddo on April 16, 2008 3:08 PM.

"Bond" is an interesting one to check out as well. They're shows are a trip, to say the least.

said Kathryn on April 16, 2008 3:54 PM.

Yo... no www.yo-yoma.com ? How can you call this a list of cellists if you don't include him? It's like talking about Ice Cream cakes from Carvel and leaving out Fudgie the Whale. I could really go for some Fudgie... All chocolate, with the crunchies... I miss Tom Carvel, and that freaky voice that Fudgie and cookiepuss had... Hay, why don't you guys do a 'where are they now' about the Carvel ice cream voice guy? I saw yo-yo ma at Lincoln Center about 7-8 years ago and I swear it was a sexual experience.

said Jeni Gump on April 16, 2008 4:06 PM.

Jeni - that last sentence is the best one line review of a concert I ever read.

said Scaramouch on April 16, 2008 4:39 PM.

these were solid.

I would also look into Rasputina; a bit gothic, but truly amazing sounds. If you can only track down one song, My Little Shirtwaist fire should be it.

Also Big Pretty and the Red Rockets have a great sound. "Fur Coat" streams on their myspace last I checked

said Vince on April 16, 2008 4:46 PM.

Thanks Scaramouch!

Really though... I'm a fan of everything from Metallica (I just had to add that to my FF spell check, it suggested metallic a, really), Covenant, KMFDM, Android Lust and throw in the Police or some Meatloaf for good measure...

My Dad's girlfriend (now wife) got us tix for a familish Christmas thing and I was prepared to lust after the alcohol that I would consume in mass quantities post show when all of a sudden this man comes out and rocks me to my soul. I was sitting with my brother on one side and my Dad to the other trying to contain myself... So. Very. Awkward. Yo-yo Ma has this amazing ability to make you think like you're the only person in the room and that he wants to use those fingers to do things to you that you've never even thought to think of pondering on your most perverted day working at the sleazy sex shop in the suburbs. He has such control and when he's in the thick of it that he levitates, all of his energy is so focused on the cello that it takes the weight of him.

I need a Camel...

And my fucking high five (yah, that's the last time I'll mention it)

said Jeni Gump on April 16, 2008 4:58 PM.

Most of these were great for a variety of reasons.
Break of Reality was riveting because of their honest enthusiasm for what they were doing. The excitement they felt was genuine and the musicicanship fine.

Ethan Winer has got to be the world's coolest nerd! He is a great player with a wonderful, whimsical imagination. Not only is it clear he did this whole thing by himself, the video is all the better for it.

Apocaplytica sucked. Sorry!

said BassMan on April 19, 2008 9:24 PM.