Advertising fights back

Exhibit A: for the prosecution. Unilever's Dove tells you to tell your daughters to ignore the insidious messages from the Beauty Industry and advertising.

Exhibit B: for the defence. The Martin Agency proves all the insidious messages you need are right there in Unilever's portfolio all along.

Read more at Tangerine Toad.

Thanks for the shout-out guys!
Much appreciated.

said Tangerine Toad on November 30, 2007 1:32 PM.

Whatever, tits sell, ya know?

I did dig that song though. It's La Breeze by Simian if anybody else is interested.

said Razen on November 30, 2007 1:56 PM.

Tits sell...two words that make me sad I wasted a decade in advertising.

said Jellio on November 30, 2007 7:11 PM.

Sometimes the truth hurts a little Jellio

said Razen on November 30, 2007 8:38 PM.

Speaking for myself, the only reason I got into advertising in the first place was that line from Truth in Advertising about creative's snorting coke off strippers' tits. So my main disappointment at the wasted years is that I never actually got to do that.

said Scaramouch on November 30, 2007 11:19 PM.

I pointed out the irony of that once to the company pr person. the responce was that kids dont see axe commericals so it's not hypocrytical.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the original commerical is only populated with really adorable little girls? they dont even toss us the token fat girl.

said Jen on December 2, 2007 11:49 PM.

1. The message in the video is valid.

B. The fact that its from Unilever does show quite a bit of hypocrisy.

3. Its a message that should be promoted, and no one else is doing it at this level.

4. The unintended consequences of the whole Real Beauty Campaign make me even more ambivalent about it.

Someone from Dove wrote and asked me to join their community of supporters because of something I wrote about this campaign. I don't know what she read, because I have written about it several times at different sites, and usually it was either ambivalent or scathing.

said Miss Cellania on December 3, 2007 6:53 AM.