Top Ten Sexiest TV Commercials Ever?

I've been thinking about this a brand new TV and Web channel - Firebrand. Billed as a celebration of "commercial culture", it's supposedly going to show back-to-back non-stop TV spots, hosted by a "CJ" (that's a Commercial Jockey), and aims to do for the commercial what MTV did for the music video.

When I first heard the idea, I was pretty skeptical - after all, TV ads are the things that interrupt the shows I really want to watch, and since we got TiVo in our house, I always fast forward. But then I got to think about Superbowl ads, and how popular some of our previous ad related stories have been, and I'm wondering if they might be on to something.

So , I'm going to do a little CJ-ing of my own with a look at why a channel filled with ads may not be such a bad idea. As chosen by me, the Ten Sexiest TV Ads of all time (probably, unless I've forgotten some).

#10 - Carl's

Yeh, I know most of you are not going to agree with this one, but imagine you didn't know what a pain in the ass Paris was.

#9 - LYNX

To be honest, being chased by naked babes should be a little more exciting than this, but all those slow motion boobs have to count for something.

#8 - SCHIESSER

It's probably a little unfair to include European ads on the list, but anyone who knows me well, knows I have this - thing - for nurse uniforms. Ahem.

#7 - VAIO

Now I'm working from home, this happens to me, like, all the time.

#6 - NEW YORKER

I think this is the official recreation of the Anna Nicole story.

#5 - NAPSTER

Oh man, remember Napster?

#4 - Miller

Looking a little tame now, this caused quite a stir when it was released, and probably kicked off some of the trend you see here.

#3 - GoDaddy.com

Nikki Capelli struts her stuff before the Broadcast Censorship Committee.

#2 - AGENT PROVOCATEUR

Kylie Minogue riding an electric bull in black underwear. What's not to love?

#1 - MAC'S

And here's my top pick - a weird, exotic, juice-filled fantasy for Mac's stores.

So those are my choices. But did I leave out an obvious choice? Let us know in the comments.

UPDATE: My good friend Kit pointed out to me that all my choices were a little female-fantasy oriented and has redressed the balance slightly on her own blog with some beefcake examples.

Nice choices.

I assume every Victoria's Secret spot was/is not eligible?

said Baierman on October 24, 2007 1:37 PM.

What strikes me as odd is how will they take commercial breaks on an all-commercial station?

"We interrupt these commercials to show you ,um, more commercials."

Will people fast forward the new commercials to watch more commercials? How will you know when to stop?

My head hurts.

said stephen on October 24, 2007 1:40 PM.

Well, it's effective. I'm going to buy some new underwear.

said Miss Cellania on October 24, 2007 2:55 PM.

Actually, The Victoria Secrets 'what is sexy?" just wasn't very sexy. Tried too hard IMO.

Funny is sexy :)

said Scaramouch on October 24, 2007 4:48 PM.

Yup, funny is pretty sexy. That...and lesbians. The lesbians add a certain something.

said Jellio on October 24, 2007 5:40 PM.

Can't go wrong with funny lesbians, as long as it's not Ellen DeGeneres and Rosie O'Donnell.

said Scaramouch on October 24, 2007 6:03 PM.

A great list indeed. Of course one of my all time favorites is this one:

said C.C. Chapman on October 25, 2007 8:26 AM.

Can't find a copy of it, but Beemans Gum in the early eighties had a spot filled with nothing but girls in Bikinis, frolicking on the beach. It featured the Spencer Davis Group's song "I'm a man".

It was always worth dropping what you were doing to enjoy that commercial....

said Tim on October 25, 2007 1:38 PM.

What happened? They're no longer available... !!

said Michael on October 27, 2007 5:58 PM.