Are you left brained? Or right brained?

0,,5693171,00.gif

Okay, which way is the girl spinning? If you said clock-wise than you're right brained. Counter-clock-wise then you're left brained. But can you make her change directions at will?

More about the left brain/right brain mumbo jumbo here. I've seen her spin both ways equally so I don't know what that means.

I haven't spent this much time staring at a naked lady on my computer screen since...alright since a couple of hours ago, I guess. Fine.

If you click it and turn the image yourself you'll see it move in that direction. Its not a brain puzzle.

said Raj on October 11, 2007 8:19 PM.

she's spinning clockwise .. its a matter of perspective.

though her whole body is raised, her (extended) foot is lower - as it comes 'closer'.

the illusion is only present because her body is being 'levitated' up and down to counter the perspective effect.

said Paul on October 12, 2007 12:08 AM.

It is in fact a brain puzzle, you're just psyching yourself out, Raj. Look at the image, squint, and look up and down its length, and it will suddenly change directions. Be patient, you've already triggered a perspective change by by fiddling with your mouse, now just do it with your mind. It's perspective puzzle in a continuous a loop. At any given frame, she could be facing forward or back, standing on her left leg, or right. If you imagine her on her left leg, she's spinning clockwise, her right, counter. If you download the gif and examine it, (I did) it's 34 images in which she could be facing either way, depending on which leg you perceive to be in front. The silhouette is key, since it hides her true front/back position. very clever.

said Mick on October 12, 2007 1:03 AM.

I love how people insist she's spinning one way or another. She isn't spinning at all, it's a 2-D representation. She can be perceived to be spinning either way - no it's not a trick - it's your brain filling in info that's not there, (which way she's facing.) Get someone else to watch it with you, and see what happens.

said Mick on October 12, 2007 5:44 PM.

This morning she is spinning clockwise. However, last night when I came back from the pub (6 pints of Krombacher), she was spinning counter-clockwise.

said Angus on October 13, 2007 7:12 PM.

i've stared at this thing for a while now, and only see her 'spinning' clockwise. the trick is to stare at her feet and when you freeze the image (hold your scroll bar) you can make out her pinky toe. when she comes back around you can see the silhouette of the big toe obscuring the view of her pinky toe.. making her spin clockwise.

said keith on October 15, 2007 12:09 PM.

I'm sorry but there is no way this image is representing a woman on her right foot. There's a pretty clear difference between a lateral and a medial arch on a foot. I expect that what foot she seems to be standing on also depends on your knowledge of human anatomy. I'd be astounded to find that anyone that works with people's bodies on a regular basis (as I do) would think that "she" is on her right foot.

said BenGreen on October 22, 2007 4:15 PM.

I think it's hilarious that people insist she's only spinning one way and making it so technical. Analysing the arch on her foot?? Geez!

She spins both ways. It's tricky, but an amazing optical illusion once you can see it ;)

said K on November 18, 2007 12:08 PM.

I watched her change from clock-wise to counter clock-wise, and saw her do this repeatedly. I asked someone to watch her with me because I thought it was a computer trick. She reversed directions at different times to each of us, so not a computer trick. This thing that interests me is that she leads with the left leg when moving counter clock-wise and the right leg when moving clock-wise.
When I concentrated, she went to the left, and when I relaxed, it seemed I could change her to go right.
Overall, it is interesting at how one will perceive it.

said java on April 30, 2008 9:32 AM.

after or when i read she turns counter-clock wise and when i focus again on the picture its clockwise so does that mean it depends on what your doin

said R on August 27, 2008 10:39 PM.

To me, it looks like a counter-clockwise swirl.

said Tim on August 27, 2008 11:49 PM.

It feels very achieving once you can get her to spin both ways. You just kind of have to close your eyes and imagine it, and then it switches.

said dave on September 7, 2008 5:33 PM.

peripheral vision... it sort of reminds me of when you start at a ceiling fan, if you stare at it just the right way you can see the blades moving the opposite way, even though you know which way the fan blades are really moving.

said cynthia on September 8, 2008 10:15 AM.

I agree with the theory that it depend on what you are doing. Initially i saw clockwise, but if I read something and watched it peripherally i could see CCW. Once I mastered that i watched it and tried doing some mental math and it switched from CC to CCW..

said jake on December 1, 2008 1:27 PM.