The Cadbury Creme Egg Conspiracy

Cadbury Creme Eggs

Easter is supposed to be bunny rabbits, candy, and and smiling faces, as embodied by the iconic Cadbury Creme Egg -- but scratch below the surface, and an evil conspiracy lurks.

After the jump, corporate lies, video evidence, and outrage...

Cadbury Creme Egg lovers everywhere have been grousing about the reduction in size of this year's crop, but go to Cadbury's website and the FAQ suggests it's not the eggs that have gotten smaller but that you have gotten bigger. Here's an image from the site as of Saturday, April 7:

Faq

There it is in black and white -- the eggs haven't changed, they just look smaller compared to your ever-expanding ass.

And the Cadbury Cartel might have gotten away with it too, except for The Office writer/producer/star BJ Novak, who blew the lid off the conspiracy with absolute proof on the Conan O'Brien show:

Now, everyone from Grand Theft Auto gamers to Pearl Jam fans are onto the scam, and the outrage is building. Whoever is responsible had better fess up quick or riots may break out in the streets tomorrow morning.

I'm loading my gun tonight, just in case...

[EDIT: Photo from candywarehouse.com -- in my zeal to alert the world of this grave conspiracy, I forgot to give them a link.]

UPDATE: TENSIONS MOUNT AS THE PUBLIC DEMANDS ANSWERS!

those sneaky buggers! stunts like this is a step back in evolution.

said zee on April 8, 2007 2:41 AM.

Okay, one small problem with your conspiracy. The website you've cited is the UK version. The Cadbury Creme Eggs in question are made in the US by Hershey's under license.

(I'm glad you liked my photo and decided to use it and for the record, it is of the 1.38 ounce version. I took it last year for my review of the candies. It would be nice if you linked to my site with the attribution.)

said cybele on April 8, 2007 1:49 PM.

Of course the REAL conspiracy is that your money is worth less. Cadbury has a choice to charge you more or give you less.

said Anon on April 8, 2007 1:53 PM.

I'm glad to be alerted to this grave conspiracy. Actually, having just enjoyed a cadbury creme egg, my once a year vice, I was a little annoyed to learn it was smaller than years past. Like many, I don't handle change well, especially if the manuf. is smarmily denying having changed it!

Do they never learn?

Mr. Shiney's Blog of Goodness, no URL because they won't let me.

said Mr. Shiney on April 8, 2007 5:28 PM.

Yes companies have yet to realize, that with the internet.. We all talk to each other now..

No more Secrets! :)

said Rob W on April 8, 2007 6:00 PM.

the American Cadbury FAQ states the exact same thing as the British site.

said lord farkington on April 8, 2007 6:17 PM.

cybele, apologies for not attributing the picture -- I meant to give you a link. I edited the story to include a link to your page.

As for the FAQ, that site is their global site, which includes both US and UK. If you look at the contact page and "Consumer Contact" page, it gives addresses for both US and UK.

said TheMuggler on April 8, 2007 6:35 PM.

I love cadbury creme eggs, and I'm used to being lied to(by my wife). I think I'll run out and pick up some post-easter discounted goodies.

said Jayson Barclay on April 8, 2007 10:06 PM.

cybele: Of course, our money is worth less, so they can choose to either charge more or give less. But, does that give them the right to claim, on their website, that the size has not changed, and it is in fact our judgement that is off? When has it become a good business practice to tell the customer that, when they notice a change, that they are wrong and that there is in fact no change, when there actually is? Think on that!

said JackAsh on April 9, 2007 1:09 AM.

THIS ONE IS FOR LIZ SHIGETOSHI!

said Dan on April 9, 2007 3:03 AM.

NOT JUST ANY LIZ SHIGETOSHI! ELIZABETH AYA SHIGETOSHI!

said Dan on April 9, 2007 3:05 AM.

I remember that in the past, the creme eggs had more hollow space inside. This years creme eggs seem to have less hollow space inside. Is it possible that both eggs contain the same grams, but this years egg is the condensed version with less hollow space?

said Jeff on April 9, 2007 12:07 PM.

Dan, please leave the sensible talk out of this. I smell a mob forming.....and ill be there with my torch lit and my overalls on! Lets git 'em.

said hammerhead on April 10, 2007 7:43 AM.

Where have the 'bunny's' gone that used to lay these eggs too? They've mysteriously vanished.

said Hen on April 10, 2007 3:50 PM.

poop

said hi on April 10, 2007 9:22 PM.

Giving less for your money in UK is standard practice when hiking prices. We get less cereals in the same sized packet; Cigarettes are 2ml shorter; Another confection called a Wagon Wheel (a round, cream filled chocolate biscuit) used to be the size of the jupiter, will now pass through the hole in a doughnut. Get over it.

said Rob Evans on April 11, 2007 5:52 PM.

said Rob Evans on April 11, 2007 5:53 PM.

said Rob Evans on April 11, 2007 5:53 PM.

said Rob Evans on April 11, 2007 5:55 PM.

Rob, you Brits may enjoy bending over for the man, but we Americans like to stand up for our freedoms and voice our opinions where they REALLY count!

said TheMuggler on April 11, 2007 7:27 PM.

said manda on April 16, 2007 2:50 AM.

Cybele: "Cadbury has a choice to charge you more or give you less."

So they went with option #3 and did both. Big surprise.

said Yabba on April 16, 2007 2:42 PM.

Quote from April 11: "manda said:
surely this is a good thing, it will decrease obsersity in children! and ive never been a great fan since im vegan :P"

Yes, that's the reason so many children are obese. A seasonal candy. Or maybe we should blame spoons.

Here it is a year later and the Cadbury Eggs are still smaller. Sign the petition for the King Size Cream Egg

said teriana on February 15, 2008 12:32 PM.

Oh god just don't eat them, makes you fat and ugly!

said Bob on July 2, 2008 4:32 PM.

It's true!! the cream egg IS in fact smaller! I happen to have a batch from a few years ago I never ate...and won't eat....and I'm matching them up right now! That's how I came across this site. I personally don't care their smaller I just think it's ridiculous Cadbury is denying it.

said lena on January 26, 2009 10:15 PM.

YOU ARE ALL MISTAKEN!! YOU SHOULD RESEARCH YOUR SOURCES FIRST.

CADBURY DOES NOT, AND I REPEAT, DOES NOT MANUFACTURE CHOCOLATE FOR THE USA UNDER THE CADBURY NAME. THE PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY HERSHEY'S UNDER LICENSE.

THE GLOBAL WEBSITE YOU PEOPLE ACCESSED IS THEIR GLOBAL WEBSITE AND OF COURSE WILL HAVE US CONTACT INFORMATION BECAUSE THEY MAKE TRIDENT, DENTYNE, STRIDE, BUBBLICIOUS, HALLS, SOUR PATCH KIDS, AND SWEDISH FISH FOR THE US.

CADBURY DOES NOT SUPPLY CHOCOLATE TO THE US. IN NORTH AMERICA, IT ONLY GOES TO CANADA.

YOU SHOULD TAKE YOUR COMPLAINTS TO HERSHEY SINCE THEY ARE THE ONES MAKING THE EGGS IN THE US.

DUH!!! I'M USRE YOU ALL KNEW THAT ALREADY!

said annonymus on January 27, 2009 10:26 AM.

i can't watch the video because it's been deleted. i think this speaks for itself, doesn't it?

said mamelkok on July 3, 2010 8:55 AM.