A Family Obsession

This documentary is called The Most Hated Family in America, broadcast on BBC 2. I was curious enough about the title to watch. It’s about The Westboro Baptist Church, which I’m familiar with, but I didn’t know that just about all the church members are in minister Fred Phelps family! They certainly are obsessed with sex, to the exclusion of The Great Commission. The entire show is loaded onto YouTube in parts (this is part one). You can find all seven parts here.

I watched this last night in the UK, and well, wow is all I can say.

said CGW on April 4, 2007 6:39 PM.

This sort of thing kills me. Those poor children.

Wondeful documentary, but it would have helped if the representative had a stronger scriptural background. I would like to see "Gramps" argue his way out of the obvious contradictions between their message and the one found in the gospels.

said Lusus on April 4, 2007 8:58 PM.

Religion is the root of all evil.

said J Brown on April 5, 2007 7:02 AM.

Part of the reason I hate this type is that it spawns ridiculous generalizations like the one above.

The Phelps are to religion/Christianity what pedophilia is to sexuality.

said Lusus on April 5, 2007 6:46 PM.

Part of the reason I hate this type of thing is that it spawns ridiculous generalizations like the one above.

The Phelps are to religion/Christianity what pedophilia is to sexuality.

said Lusus on April 5, 2007 6:47 PM.

Honestly, except for "Gramps", I kind of felt sorry for them. Not absolving them of their idiocy or anything, but I really felt sorry for them. Not just for the little kids, but the twenty-something girls. What a train wreck their lives are, and they don't even know it. They're so afraid of the world, so out of touch with real people, and so afraid of living. Makes you wonder what the now-somewhat senile "Gramps" did to twist them that way. And that filmmaker guy who joined them, what a prize sap. It was interesting to get to see more of the leader's daughter (the shrill, horsefaced harpy) than what usually shows up when she's on the newscasts. That whole thing about going for coffee, jeez, what were they so scared of? Anyway, cheers to BBC2 for putting this doc together.

said Mooncity on April 5, 2007 7:06 PM.

said Mooncity on April 5, 2007 7:06 PM.

The documentarian, Louis Theroux, has also done many other amazing programs on American extremists for the bbc... ones on Body building, survivalists, white supremacy, black supremacy, televangelists and swingers. There's a best of DVD out in the UK, but here in North America I had to download them all.

said Rhiannon on April 5, 2007 8:04 PM.