Pro-Age Dove

The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty has belatedly addressed the age issue. But the nudity in the ads drove The American Family Association to call for a boycott.

My problem with this campaign from the beginning is how polarizing it is. When Dove first unveiled the Real Beauty campaign, the reaction was split by gender. Women said “Those models aren’t real! They are too young and too skinny!” Men said “Those women are too fat! I don’t want to see that!” All of which just plunged women deeper into the self-esteem black hole they were already in.

There’s also the dichotomy of motive. On the one hand, we can applaud Dove for bringing a somewhat more realistic face to advertising, yet at the same time, if we were really beautiful we wouldn’t need to buy their cellulite cream. Now that attractive older women are included in the campaign, we women of a certain age are hearing about how no one should have to look at such things. Thanks a lot.

hello - i have not tried dove's pro-age yet - but i am almost 50 and was totally relieved to see them starting an advertising campaign with older women. also, i really liked the idea of it being pro-age instead of anti-age. we older women are always being bombarded with stop the aging process stuff and it really made me feel better to just think that this campaign was saying that we can just go with it and still feel beautiful. i'm not sure if i feel like actually trying their stuff, however.
thanks for letting me say this.

said dianna on March 10, 2007 5:47 PM.

I read somewhere that both Dove and Axe were owned by the same company – Unilever. Which is funny when you put the advertising side-by-side.

said aquaman on March 10, 2007 6:03 PM.

As a man in my early 30's I was pleasantly surprised to see a commercial with such aged beauty. I hope that my soon to be wife ages as well as these ladies have.

said Darius on March 20, 2007 9:40 PM.

To Aquaman,
It warms my heart to hear such great respect and admiration for our generation of women... especially from your generation. If you show the same to your 'soon to be' wife, you will surely have one that lasts.

said Not too golden oldie (early fifties) on March 23, 2007 2:02 AM.

Sorry,
I think my last comment should have been addressed to Darius.

said Not too golden oldie, again on March 23, 2007 2:08 AM.

The American Family Association can go screww itself! My mom is one of those Dove Pro-Age models and she is having a lot of fun with it. I think that it is great!

said Kwami on June 17, 2007 11:19 AM.