Frakk!

Battlestar-Galactica
Long time readers will know that I've been a champion of Battlestar Galactica since the first miniseries. A few weeks ago a couple of YBNBY writers tried to convince me that the only place the BSG FTL drives had jumped to was a nebula called The Shark. But after last night's season finale, all I can say is - Holy Frakk.

My thoughts....

David Chase should really be taking notes here, because unlike the piss poor season enders for The Sopranos, Ron Moore certainly knows how to get his audience prepped for a hiatus (we have to wait until 2008 for new episodes? I'm going to go out of my mind).

I'd love to hear what people thought in comments, but a few bullets from me to get us started.

• I was starting to worry that the courtroom drama was going to end in corny soliloquies , but when Lee took the stand and gave his defence of balthar, I COMPLETELY bought how that speech could swing the jury.
  • Neelix perjuring himself on the stand - what a fucking weasel. I knew they should have thrown him out of the airlock when they had the chance.
  • Good to see Balthar revert to his annoying self so quickly. And the lawyer having fabricated the whole "I need a cane now" schtick - excellent.
  • Last week, when I heard those snippets of music, I was like "Wait - is that All along the Watchtower???". And so it was. And as I watched I went through this creeping moment that was "wait, is this really really good, or really really bad?" And it turned out to be the former. So, was it creative license, or a broadcast from Earth getting stronger the closer they approached?
  • Welcome back, Starbuck. Glad this didn't turn out to be one of those long drawn out things - we knew she was coming back, so we got her before the season ended.
  • The Four going back to their posts after realizing the MIGHT be cylons, and the furtive glances between them, priceless. And nicely played.
  • So Balthar not only gets to shag the two hottest cylon babes, he's now whisked away to his new life by three more sex vixens? I think it must be the British accent.
  • If the humanoid cylons post-date the first cylon war, and Tigh fought in that first war, how can he by a cylon? Unless he was replaced at some point. (And to be honest, I'm not buying that any of those four are Cylons).
  • It seems pretty clear to me that we'll eventually find out that the Cylons are not the enemy. The 12 cylon models embody the consciousness of the Lords of Kobol, and their rebirths on the resurrection ship is a version of Karma - they're reliving their lives over and over until they remember who they are. So actually, they're all from Earth, one way or another.

let the conversation begin.

Well, the four were all residents of New Caprica during the occupation, so I imagine the Cylons did something to them during that time.

And for the record, I wasn't convinced the whole show had entirely jumped the shark, but there were some definite shark moments this season, including the ridiculous Boxing Adama episode. When it's good, like the episode about the refinery ship and worker's rights, it is fantastic, but when it's off it really loses the way.

But I agree, stellar finale!

said TheMuggler on March 26, 2007 10:13 AM.

.... unless they are ALL Cylons.

(Remember the line from the original mini-series where they talked about history being cycles repeating over and over again.... I'll be pissed if that is the kicker for the whole series, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

said Jerry on March 26, 2007 10:42 AM.

I loved last night's episode. Tigh's scenes stole the show in my opinion. He's always been one of my favorites. Like to see how/if Tyrol breaks the news to Cally, seeing how much she despises Athena for being a Cylon.
Sucks that we have to wait 9 months for the next season. However, the reason for the long break is a 2 hour stand-alone Battlestar movie that is supposed to center on the Pegasus right after the attacks is being worked on right now.

said John on March 26, 2007 12:44 PM.

Apparently the last unknown cylon is Bob Dylan.

said jeff on March 26, 2007 1:01 PM.

It convinced me to watch next season (2008? WTF?), but I'm still skeptical. Hopefully they'll take the 9 months to write a good ending and get out while the gettin's good.

said Jennifer on March 26, 2007 3:00 PM.

I was screaming at the TV, "You can't end the season like this!" Wait until 2008? Oh, frakk. I've had questions about human/Cylon interaction since the birth of Hera. And the 6 saying she was to protect Hera with her life?

said Barbara on March 26, 2007 8:33 PM.

I absolutely loved the season finale... the best one yet, IMO. Loved that rendition of Watchtower (the composer confirms that it's gonna be on the S3 soundtrack) and RDM confirmed that the 4 are definitely Cylons though they are, in his words "fundamentally different".

I'm in agony over the 9 month wait.

I loved that final parting shot.

said Arsh on March 26, 2007 11:40 PM.

Adama's speech was the best courtroom speech I've seen.

I really don't know what to think about the whole Dylan stuff. It was just weird. I almost expected the four of them to walk in that room and be like. "Are you kidding me? We're actors in a TV show? This isn't really a space ship?"

said Evil Richard on March 27, 2007 11:13 AM.