An Open Letter to Sprint CEO Gary Forsee

sprintnextelbig.gif

On Saturday I posted a rambling diary documenting my dealings with Sprint Customer Care. My latest bill includes $630 in fraudulent charges and the 108-year-old telcom company is unable and unwilling to help. Their answers – "We'll give you a $150 credit" and "We won't charge you for the accessories you were told were free" and "We'll make you eligible for a mail-in rebate" – have only heightened my anger.

I was going to give up. But after my post, I received some great comments and emails from people urging me to fight on. Like Roger Clemens, I'm retiring from retirement. My first order of business is an open letter to Sprint CEO Gary Forsee.

[Update: Satisfaction Granted.]

Dear Mr. Forsee,

I read that Sprint is searching for a new advertising agency. Yearly estimates of your ad spending hover around $1.2 billion. That's a lot of money.

And if you continue to treat customers the way you do, all that money's a waste.

Last week, I received a bill with $630 in fraudulent equipment charges (complete details here). I spent six hours speaking with a variety of unhelpful customer care reps. I was driven more and more insane. "Sir, there's nothing we can do." The last person asked if I was "100% satisfied." No percent of me is satisfied.

My tenure as a Sprint customer has been rocky. My first three bills were printed in Spanish. When I called to request bills in a language I spoke, I was told there was "nothing we can do." That's a running theme in my dealings with your company.

There is most definitely something you can do.

I want a line item on my next bill with a negative sign propped beside $630. No "we'll make you eligible for a mail-in rebate" nonsense, or "service credits." Stop being cute. Just fix it. And not because I wrote a letter and posted it on a widely read website. Fix it because you were 100% wrong in the first place and it's your job.

If this is the end of the story – if you're unwilling to help – then your new ad agency will have to work long and hard to resuscitate your reputation. I don't think $1.2 billion covers it.

I know of nowhere else to turn. Make this right.

Sincerely,
Jason English
jasonenglish1 (at) gmail (.) com

Go get em!

said Miss Cellania on February 5, 2007 12:44 PM.

Personally I'd file a complaint with your state public service commision. The one that governs phone companies. Usually when they call the phone company listens and amazingly things get done

said Darkiri on February 5, 2007 1:25 PM.

Dude- I've had similar problems with Sprint. Finally, after ten years of crappy phones and BS contracts and broken promises, I dropped their asses once I resolved all of their billing errors to my account. They suck - plain and simple. The best thing about the deal is that I still have one phone under an old plan that doesn't have a monthly charge - you just pay for your phonecalls. I haven't used this number in over six years, but I take great pleasure in knowing these jackoffs still have to send me a monthly statement for zero dollars.

said Web Guy on February 6, 2007 6:57 PM.

said Web Guy on February 6, 2007 6:58 PM.

I've had similar problems with Sprint. After ten years of crappy phones, BS contracts and broken promises, I dropped their asses once I resolved all of their billing errors to my account. They suck - plain and simple. The best thing about the deal is that I still have one phone under a very old plan that doesn't have a monthly charge - I just pay for any phonecalls I make from it. I haven't used this number in over six years, but I take great pleasure in knowing these jackoffs still have to send me a monthly statement for zero dollars.

said Web Guy on February 6, 2007 6:59 PM.

I am currently in the perpetual hampster wheel with them now! I have consistant dropped calls, and their solution is for me to buy a new phone, and re-new their plan for another year. I have had my phone with Nextel for over 7 years, never had a pronblem of any kind until the Sprint merge, and since then it has steadily gone down hill. And their "customer Care" service, hmm, that is nothing more than an oxy moron! I have only just begun!

said lbh on February 8, 2007 7:05 AM.

I find it surprising that Web Guy put up with crappy service for 10 years with Sprint. My horrific experience with them, about 9 years ago lasted only two years...the length of their contract.

I had the misfortune of having to file personal bankruptcy. To get a cell phone with Sprint, I had to send them $250 for a security deposit. I was told if my account was paid promptly every month for 12 months, my security deposit would be returned immediately. Well, I paid religiously every month. Needlesstosay, Sprint did what Sprint does best...they suddenly had amnesia about my security deposit. As for my actual phone service, my phone suddenly stopped working. I was told to send my phone back to them and they would replace my phone free of charge. Only the phone they sent me was a refurbished phone, not a new one. I need to mention here that my original phone had never been dropped or damaged in any way by me. In fact, it stopped working after only about 5 months of ownership.

To make a very long story short, I was out of my $250 security deposit and also the cost of the phone (the phone I chose was not free with the contract) and also charges for calls that were supposed to be free in my calling region. To avoid getting sued by Sprint for abandoning my contract, I had to continue paying the monthly charges for the life of my two-year contract even though I stopped using the phone about 14 months into the contract.

Believe me...you don't have to convince me what scumbags the owners of Sprint are. The funny thing is that many people I know during that time had similar problems with false charges on their bills and phone connection problems. They, like me, vowed never to get a Sprint account again. My household is a three-person household. If Sprint keeps pissing off multiple-phone households, they won't be in business for very long.

said Sprint non-user on February 15, 2007 7:04 AM.

here is gary forsees phone and fax #:

phone- (703-433-4040) FAX- (703-433-4352)

and here is a list of people at sprint that will help you...their phone numbers and email addresses: Adriano, Jerry - Integration | 913-762-8080 | jerry dot adriano at sprint dot com | KSOPHI0306 - 3C555 | 03503
Carter, Matthew - CEO | 913-794-2200 | matt dot carter at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0310 - 3A203 | 10000
Curran, Jim - BCS Executive | 913-762-1238 | jim dot m dot curran at sprint dot com | KSOPHE0210 - 2A101 | 07132
Digiorgio, Bryan - SVP Of Customer Care | 913-794-1705 | bryan dot digiorgio at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0410 - 4A603 | 10000
Garvey, Kim - Chief Executive Officer | 913-794-1671 | kim dot garvey at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0410 - 4A107 | 10000
Hallier, Shelley - Chief Executive Officer | 913-794-1132 | shelley dot r dot hallier at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0402 - 4B465 | 10000
Natoli, Tom - Service and Repair | 512-469-7537 | tom dot natoli at sprint dot com | TXAUTK1601 - 1615 | NX6195 - 12500
Rock, Cindy - Customer Solutions Senior Vice President | cindy dot rock at sprint dot com | KSOPHF04HR - HR | 12300

GARY FORSEE-CEO (703-433-4040) FAX 703-433-4352
Angelino, Mark - SBS Executive | 703-433-4440 | mark dot angelino at sprint dot com | VARESP0501 - 549 | NX9733 - 00100
Dziak Jr, John - Corporate Strategy Executive | 000-000-0000 | jack dot dziak at sprint dot com | VARESP01HR - HR | NX1482 - 10500
Fleming, Denise Russel - Federal Government NSM East | 703-592-5536 | denise dot r dot fleming at sprint dot com | VARESP0501 - 575 | 01532
Foosaner, Robert - Govmnt Affairs SN Merger | 703-433-4144 | robert dot foosaner at sprint dot com | VARESP0503 - 561 | NX1785 - 00100
Garcia, John - Cable JV Sprint Only | 913-794-1393 | john dot a dot garcia at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0302 - 3A603 | 18900
Giarraputo, Joy - Chief Operations Officer | 913-794-1501 | joy dot e dot giarraputo at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0410 - 4A421 | 00937
Hille, Christie - Corporance Governance & Response SN Merger | 703-433-4216 | christie dot hill at sprint dot com | VARESP0513 - 503 | NX1289
Kelly, Tim - Chief Executive Officer | 913-794-1670 | tim dot kelly at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0410 - 4A103 | 10000
Kennedy, Leonard - Corporate Legal | 703-433-4274 | len dot kennedy at sprint dot com | VARESP0513 - 502 | NX1209
Land, Meghan - Office of the CEO | 703-433-4094 | megan dot land at sprint dot com | VARESP0507 - 5030 | NX1652 - 10500
Price, Sandy - HR Executive | 913-794-1001 | sandra dot j dot price at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0310 - 3A127 | 00895
Saleh, Paul Office of CFO SN Merger | 703-433-4436 | paul dot saleh at sprint dot com | VARESP0512 - 583 | NX0974 - 00100
Schweitzer, Mark - Chief Marketing Officer | 913-794-1237 | mark dot a dot schweitzer at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0410 - 4A203 | NX8382 - 10500
Smith, Caroline - Office of the CEO | 703-433-3586 | caroline dot smith at sprint dot com | VARESP0508 - 573 | NX1652 - 10500
Walker, Kathy - VP & Staff Network Headquarters | 913-794-4000 | kathy dot a dot walker at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0310 - 3A377 | 01263
West, Barry - Technology Development | 703-433-4578 | barry dot west at sprint dot com | VAHRNF0401 - 4070 | NX5901 - CTO00100
White, Bill - VP of Marketing & PR | 913-794-1099 | bill dot white at sprint dot com | KSOPHF0310 - 3A103 | 00089

said andrew on February 27, 2007 7:50 PM.

After reading above, i decided to call CEO of Sprint. It's the same company and same bad service. They just do not get it..about customer service..I been with Sprint 13 yrs and my contract expire this Oct/2007. I can not wait.
Moving to AT&T just like millions did before me.

Sure glad i do not own Sprint Stock..its been taking a beating and At&t been moving up. Hmmm maybe i should buy some (AT&T).

said bud Letap on June 14, 2007 1:40 PM.

So Forsee is gone. As a former employee when he came on board, we were told he was the next greatest thing. His legacy during his tenure was far from stellar. It just goes to prove how corporations waste astronomical money on underachieving individuals, who excel at snow jobs. Its no wonder the people who did the work got miniscule raises and the only increase was in the cost of their medical benefits. What a waste. What company will he attempt to screw up next????

said Joe Gawlik on October 14, 2007 8:17 PM.

I haven't seen so much imprudent rambling in a while. Thanks for the laugh. Oh and to the guy who calls the owners of the company "scumbags", do you even realize who the owners are?? I hope you own a share of stock because that would just be hilarious.

said at on October 25, 2007 12:15 AM.

Does anyone know who the best person would be to contact about complaints with my service? I'm a new customer (only 2 months into my contract) and wouldn't you know they start treating me like crap the second the honeymoon period is over. I've spoken with customer service people who keep handing me off to more customer service people who keep sending me back to those stupid automated menus. I asked for information about people higher up in the company to speak with, but they refused to give me any information. Any ideas? Thanks.

said Audrey on November 10, 2007 5:45 PM.

The wonderful folks at Sprint/Nextel have done it again. It never stops, they are so full of crap with their customer services reps it makes you want to shove the damn phone down their mouth. You can never seem to get anything straighten out with them. The service is so freakin sorry I am leaving their sorry asses for good.

said I FREAKIN HATE SPRINT... on December 19, 2007 11:31 AM.

The almost 2 years I was with Sprint were a REAL NIGHTMARE!! The keyword to describe their customer service is: TOTAL INCOMPETENCE. Each time there is a problem, I have to call5 or 6 times, explain it to 5 or 6 different people who give me different and conflicting information... For instance, I wanted to transfer my phone and contract to someone willing to take it over. I called Sprint. Customer Service Rep. told me: You can do it on the phone only, you cannot do the transfer at the store. Then I was disconnected. I called again. Customer Service Rep. 2 told me: you can do the transfer at the store or over the phone, whichever you prefer. I chose to do it over the phone. The Rep. told me he needed the name and phone number of the person who was taking over the phone,and they would contact him within the next 3 days. 3 days later nobody called him. I called Sprint again. Customer service Rep. 3 told me she could not find the info of the person who was taking over my contract (she told me this after making me wait a LONG time). Ok, then let me give you the info a gain, I told her. She said it is easier to go to the store with the person who is taking over the contract and do the transfer at the store. I told her I already started the process over the phone, my schedule and that person's schedule are conflicting, and we want to do the transfer over the phone. She kept repeating it 'd be easier to do it at the store. I finally asked her: are you saying that you are refusing to do the transfer over the phone, because it's too much hassle for you? She replied yes, she was refusing. I called back to make a complaint against that Rep. Customer Service Rep. 4 told me I had been given wrong info all along: it was not possible to do a transfer over the phone. All the reps i spoke to before were wrong. I was very frustrated . How can these people represent the company and not even know how to do a freaking phone number transfer?? And how come 3 of them tell me I can do it over the phone, one even takes down the info of the new person who will take over my number, and then the fourth one tells me they were all incompetent???
Anyhow.....I inquire: so if i was transferring my Sprint line to someone who lives 1000 miles away from me, I'd have to drive down there so we can go to the sprint store together to do the transfer??
The answer was yes...Very fishy.
This whole experience was a nightmare, i had to call so many times, I was put on hold for LONG each time, the reps did not know how to do their job,.

This just ONE of the horror stories I had with Sprint. There are several more.
I feel that I should be reimboursed for the countless hours I wasted of my time and for the frustration and stress I endured.

being a Sprint customer is like having a second job that you don't get pay for. you have to be constantly on the watch for billing mistakes (which, what a coincidence, are ALWAYS mistakes benefitting Sprint, not once did they make a mistake in my favor..so that I wonder...are billing mistakes really mistakes, or are they just techniques to cheat consumers?)
you have to waste several hours every month to get those mistakes recognized and corrected

said Kris on April 12, 2008 4:30 AM.